2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Frank was the last one. If you're not getting Frank Thomas, it's not worth it. That's my point. 

If you could guarantee Vaughn would turn into the same player as Paul Goldschmidt, would you rather take Vaughn or roll the dice on Abrams?

26 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If you could guarantee Vaughn would turn into the same player as Paul Goldschmidt, would you rather take Vaughn or roll the dice on Abrams?

Goldschmidt stole 32 bases one year. Are you removing them from your comparison? 

Why haven’t comps for Vaughn been more like Konerko? 

Edited by DH in the NL

16 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If Vaughn was going to be a solid MLB player, he likely is better than most of the players drafted in the top 5. That is just the reality of the MLB draft. As I said a few days ago, its Rutschman and then Vaughn for me.

Rutschman, then Vaughn for me as well. Please don't mess this up, Sox.

Edited by Whitesox27

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Frank was the last one. If you're not getting Frank Thomas, it's not worth it. That's my point. 

This is just laughable and you continue to say it. If you dont get a guy who is arguably the greatest right handed hitter of all time, it's not worth it. So apparently if you get Pete Alonso (who Vaughn is much better than so far) it would be a bust. 

• Like 4

If Vaughn is good quickly, The line up might be:

1 Madrigal                        6 Anderson

2 Robert                            7 Burger/Collins

3 Jimenez                          8 McCann/Collins

4 Vaughn                         9 Leury/Gonzalez                            

5 Moncada                      Sox might score 1000 runs a year for a long time.

Edited by zisk
add

1 hour ago, zisk said:

If Vaughn is good quickly, The line up might be:

1 Madrigal                        6 Anderson

2 Robert                            7 Burger/Collins

3 Jimenez                          8 McCann/Collins

4 Vaughn                         9 Leury/Gonzalez                            

5 Moncada                      Sox might score 1000 runs a year for a long time.

Looks fine, against LH pitching. One LH bat, in the first 6, doesn't look so hot, versus RH pitching. Sorry to have to keep bringing it up, but I'll stop, when people stop ignoring this indisputable fact. As inept, as many here believe they are, even Renteria and Hahn recognise it and that's why we can be confident that they will address the issue. It also explains why Alonso continues to bat, in the middle of the order. He's there, because the Sox don't have anyone else. It's pretty hard to find a successful team that fielded a lineup of so many right handed hitters. I keep trying to identify a good free agent candidate, to fill the void, but can't come up with one. It may necessitate a trade.

Edited by Lillian

This is where I'm at: there is always risk with amateur baseball players. It doesn't matter who. Do you want to take that risk on a 1B where his bat is the primary driver of his value? You have to be dam near sure that the guy's bat is going to be elite to take a 1B that high. Any struggles and you're screwed. 

Also, a 1B has to hit better than every other position to be good. Average MLB hitter isn't going to cut it there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is where I'm at: there is always risk with amateur baseball players. It doesn't matter who. Do you want to take that risk on a 1B where his bat is the primary driver of his value? You have to be dam near sure that the guy's bat is going to be elite to take a 1B that high. Any struggles and you're screwed. 

Also, a 1B has to hit better than every other position to be good. Average MLB hitter isn't going to cut it there. 

Yeah, we get it. You don't want Vaughn.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Yeah, we get it. You don't want Vaughn.

I'm not even saying don't pick him, I'm saying you better be damn sure his floor is Paul Konerko if you do. 

I wouldn't even be disappointed if they take Vaughn. I'd understand why they did it, however I wish they'd avoid him. If Abrams is slipping, I'd rather them take Bleday or Greene. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zisk said:

Sox might score 1000 runs a year for a long time.

This is why I’m constantly in here “being the pessimist”. Some of you guys are so amazingly unrealistic. Two teams have scored 1000 runs in a season since WWII, but we have some decent prospects so we could do it consistently? It’s ridiculous!

Moncada isn’t going to hit .300. Robert won’t hit 50 homeruns, or likely even 40. The White Sox will never score 1000 runs.

And guess what? We’re still going to be really good.

11 hours ago, fathom said:

A righty 1B is the type of player that KLaw hates. For him to be so high on him, it must be a special bat.

Dom Smith level.

(I’m just joking, law being so high on Vaughn was made me “rate” Vaughn as a higher choice this week)

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not even saying don't pick him, I'm saying you better be damn sure his floor is Paul Konerko if you do. 

I wouldn't even be disappointed if they take Vaughn. I'd understand why they did it, however I wish they'd avoid him. If Abrams is slipping, I'd rather them take Bleday or Greene. 

So if Vaughn’s FLOOR isn’t a franchise player who had some of the best production at the plate for this team... then pass.

But... you also won’t be disappointed with him as the pick.

You’re on the fence in delusion land. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is the point of you always stating this over and over?

So far, machado hasnt been great by any means. It's not the ballpark, it's his offensive game - its had inconsistencies forever. What I find odd is even if machado ended up not being worth anywhere near 300 million, you'd still be here bad mouthing the Sox for missing out 

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

But that doesn’t mean there weren’t others that were worthy of being picked that high. 

Besides the same people who rip on 1B position value moan the most about White Sox first basemen not being good enough.

maybe this industry wide devaluation of the position is starting to show. Abreu was hurt and bad for the most part last year but he was easily an All Star, and a Silver Slugger guy. If Vaughn is as good as more than one scout thinks, the White Sox will have an advantage at that position for years.

9 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Be the change you wish to see in the world

I'm not confident enough, in my technical skills, on this board. However, if someone could put it in the right format, I would suggest listing at least the top 3 candidates, in order, for each of the two categories; 1) Who do you want? 2) Who will the Sox take?

12 hours ago, fathom said:

A righty 1B is the type of player that KLaw hates. For him to be so high on him, it must be a special bat.

Especially 5'11 midget 1B. I'm not a Vaughn guy, but the guy can certainly hit. 

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm not confident enough, in my technical skills, on this board. However, if someone could put it in the right format, I would suggest listing at least the top 3 candidates, in order, for each of the two categories; 1) Who do you want? 2) Who will the Sox take?

Done.

34 minutes ago, hi8is said:

So if Vaughn’s FLOOR isn’t a franchise player who had some of the best production at the plate for this team... then pass.

But... you also won’t be disappointed with him as the pick.

You’re on the fence in delusion land. 

Not really. I've expected him to be the pick since March. Do I disagree? Absolutely. Do I also think he could be a great hitter? Yeah. I'm just nervous about someone who has his entire value tied to his bat. If he's as good as Keith Law thinks he is, then it is fine. If the hit tool or power takes any sort of depreciation in the minors, it is bad. People talk about him like he's the absolute BPA. I'm playing devil's advocate to explain to people that it isn't that cut and dry. I understand why, I'm not disappointed, and I'd only do it if they think that he's light years ahead of Bleday, Greene and Abrams. If it is close, go with the other guy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not really. I've expected him to be the pick since March. Do I disagree? Absolutely. Do I also think he could be a great hitter? Yeah. I'm just nervous about someone who has his entire value tied to his bat. If he's as good as Keith Law thinks he is, then it is fine. If the hit tool or power takes any sort of depreciation in the minors, it is bad. People talk about him like he's the absolute BPA. I'm playing devil's advocate to explain to people that it isn't that cut and dry. I understand why, I'm not disappointed, and I'd only do it if they think that he's light years ahead of Bleday, Greene and Abrams. If it is close, go with the other guy. 

You've spent the majority of your time playing devils advocate simply making things up - like Vaughn  struggling vs good competition.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic