2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

I can see the qualms: undersized RH hitter who can only play 1st or DH has its attendant risks as a top 5 pick.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Sox draft someone like Bishop, sign him for under slot, and use the savings to get premium prep in rounds 2-5 and/or thereafter.

I doubt they'd do that, so Abrams (preferred) or Vaughn would be fine.  No Bleday.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 2

It just dawned on me who Vaughn reminds me of. Steve Garvey with more patience. Garvey was an outstanding hitter

who only looked really good because of dodger stadium robbing him or 5-10 homers a year. His only flaw was a lack

of patience. He was also a real good 1st baseman, even at only 5'10".

Edited by zisk
add

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I can see the qualms: undersized RH hitter who can only play 1st or DH has its attendant risks as a top 5 pick.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Sox draft someone like Bishop, sign him for under slot, and use the savings to get premium prep in rounds 2-5 and/or thereafter.

I doubt they'd do that, so Abrams (preferred) or Vaughn would be fine.  No Bleday.

I actually like Bleday (or Lodolo but I could see the risk there). But yea we are both on the same page. 

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I would like Bishop or Bleday at 3.  I don't know how much money that would save though.

7 minutes ago, zisk said:

It just dawned on me who Vaughn reminds me of. Steve Garvey with more patience. Garvey was an outstanding hitter

who only looked really good because of dodger stadium robbing him or 5-10 homers a year. His only flaw was a lack

of patience. He was also a real good 1st baseman, even at only 5'10".

Vaughn doesn't have enough forearm hair.

• Haha 1

Bishop is 9 months younger than Bleday, just in case it matters to any of you. I wouldn't be disappointed, it the Sox took Bishop. I like the added tool of speed. Either one of those two, would be fine with me, especially if they could save a little money with Bishop.

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

This draft feels like the teams that pick 6-10 might end up having better first rounds than the teams picking 1-5.  

The 1-5 teams can’t pass on any of these guys it seems

This draft is top heavy so not sure why you think that. You want a top 4 pick in this draft.

For everyone who loves bishop - its another questionable hit tool power hitter. Love his athleticism but far too risky at 4 imo.

• Like 1

The other issue is the White Sox ability to develop. It has been a while since they have actually developed a hitter that seemed to hit all the hopes projection, if not more. I know people like Abrams a lot, and if he turns into Lindor, even if Vaugn is Goldschmidt it would be a great choice. But if he is Tim Anderson , not so much. I personally don't trust the White Sox to get the most out of Abrahms. And if a guy who some call the best college hitter ever is the safe pick and consolation prize, the team would get a big boost.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The other issue is the White Sox ability to develop. It has been a while since they have actually developed a hitter that seemed to hit all the hopes projection, if not more. I know people like Abrams a lot, and if he turns into Lindor, even if Vaugn is Goldschmidt it would be a great choice. But if he is Tim Anderson , not so much. I personally don't trust the White Sox to get the most out of Abrahms. And if a guy who some call the best college hitter ever is the safe pick and consolation prize, the team would get a big boost.

Is that just hyperbole, or do some actually call Vaughn "the best college hitter ever"? I've read several opinions that he is the best hitter in this class, but not the best "ever".

I wouldn't be shocked if Baltimore passes on Adley (guessing Witt is a lock to KC). If it happens, we take Adley...easy one. If Adley and Witt are gone, it gets interesting for me. While I like Vaughn and salivate thinking of his bat in a lineup with Robert, Moncada, Eloy, Anderson, et al, I also feel this draft features several LH power bats who might offer better value, especially if any can be signed under slot. First prize for me would be to come out of the draft with 3 top 50 prospects with at least one being a LH power hitter and one being a HS flame thrower (Espino?). It wouldn't completely surprise me if Vaughn signs for well under slot. 

• Like 1

You guys are missing the forest through the trees.

Drafting Vaughn makes the Sox decide that they cannot allow Alonso's option to vest, meaning we should see Yonder DFA'd to make room for Vaughn next year.

It's a win-win. Drafting Vaughn helps the Sox this year even if he doesn't play. 

😂

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Is that just hyperbole, or do some actually call Vaughn "the best college hitter ever"? I've read several opinions that he is the best hitter in this class, but not the best "ever".

Naw he ain't even close. Pat Burrell for example is one of, if not the greatest college hitter ever. 

10 minutes ago, South Sider said:

You guys are missing the forest through the trees.

Drafting Vaughn makes the Sox decide that they cannot allow Alonso's option to vest, meaning we should see Yonder DFA'd to make room for Vaughn next year.

It's a win-win. Drafting Vaughn helps the Sox this year even if he doesn't play. 

😂

I did find Fegans interview with Hahn ineterstin in one regard. Collins isn't moving from behind the plate at least for 2 or 3 more years. Seems to make Abreu's extension a lock..

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And why wouldn't the Sox go with the safe pick who's projected to hit .280 and hit 30 Homer's a year. Theres no other player besides Witt or Adley who has that superstar trait unlike last year where Gorman and Kelnic showed potential. Go with the safe pick and keep building. I do think Manoah might be one of the best players in this draft though.

6 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

And why wouldn't the Sox go with the safe pick who's projected to hit .280 and hit 30 Homer's a year. Theres no other player besides Witt or Adley who has that superstar trait unlike last year where Gorman and Kelnic showed potential. Go with the safe pick and keep building. I do think Manoah might be one of the best players in this draft though.

If Adley is gone I hope they pick him. But sometimes teams out dumb themselves.  If his bat truly projects, there is no reason not to draft him. Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Jim Thome,and Harold Baines say speed and playing up the middle aren't the only ways to be a franchise cornerstone 

I am just afraid they see tools in someone else that need a lot of development,  and make the same mistake they made in 2010 and pass on a guy who actually will help you win instead of worrying about position flexibility when they let Thome go because Korsay could play the OF.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not really. I've expected him to be the pick since March. Do I disagree? Absolutely. Do I also think he could be a great hitter? Yeah. I'm just nervous about someone who has his entire value tied to his bat. If he's as good as Keith Law thinks he is, then it is fine. If the hit tool or power takes any sort of depreciation in the minors, it is bad. People talk about him like he's the absolute BPA. I'm playing devil's advocate to explain to people that it isn't that cut and dry. I understand why, I'm not disappointed, and I'd only do it if they think that he's light years ahead of Bleday, Greene and Abrams. If it is close, go with the other guy. 

Most drafts are a crap shoot and that’s what this is... even at 3.

There aren’t many Bryce Harpers, Manny Machados, Joe Mauers, etc.

You can play devils advocate for just about any pick except Adley.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic