2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

There were some rumors yesterday that CJ Abrams' camp was calling around and shopping deals with the thought that he was falling and didn't have an agreement in the top 6. 

Then the Andrew Vaughn to White Sox noise started picking up again. Then last night Mayo linked them to Brett Baty. He also was the one to link them to Nick Schnell late in the process last year. This is me speculating but I think it's possible: Sox want to take Abrams underslot. They don't have a deal. If Sox pass on him and took Baty instead, Abrams would fall into 7-9 range. That's a lot less $$. Maybe the Baty thing is posturing to get Abrams to take their discount. If not they take Vaughn for close to the slot amount.

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There were some rumors yesterday that CJ Abrams' camp was calling around and shopping deals with the thought that he was falling and didn't have an agreement in the top 6. 

Then the Andrew Vaughn to White Sox noise started picking up again. Then last night Mayo linked them to Brett Baty. He also was the one to link them to Nick Schnell late in the process last year. This is me speculating but I think it's possible: Sox want to take Abrams underslot. They don't have a deal. If Sox pass on him and took Baty instead, Abrams would fall into 7-9 range. That's a lot less $$. Maybe the Baty thing is posturing to get Abrams to take their discount. If not they take Vaughn for close to the slot amount.

I'm with you on this theory. Sounds like the Sox are trying to get some savings in one way or another to grab some overslot players later. This is the perfect time to leak some interest in other players with your 1st round pick to see if/who will blink.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Strikes me that Sox have all the leverage due to it not being obvious where the floor is for either Vaughn or Abrams. Introducing Baty into the mix adds another layer of intrigue. What I hope doesn't happen is we end up paying slot value at the expense of floating a high value prospect to rd. 2 or 3.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Any idea who they might have in mind for the significant savings they would have from the underslot first pick?

Hoping they're partial to HS pitchers of whom there are several. My fave is Espino. Looks like Cease with same velo.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think they really like Brett Baty.  

Drafting Baty would absolutely lead to the most interesting draft as a whole. Imagine the depth you could add to your system with the potential savings on Baty. Baty is ranked around 15th to 17th for most publications. If you napkin math 15th slot compared to the 3rd slot value, you are saving roughly 3.3 million you can play with later. They could do a lot of damage with that money. Insulating a top heavy system would be very nice. Also there is plenty of risk there. Especially with AZ lurking with all those picks in the early going.

I think I'm in favor of grabbing Vaughn still, but for sheer entertainment value I'd have fun seeing what they do after Baty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't but damn it's fun to dream on Jack Lieter.  

Word. Seen a whole lot of he won't sign unless it's with the Mets or Yankees though. No idea how legit that is.

Edited by DirtySox

I think that's a ploy to steer clear of some organizations they may not want to be part of but I think the Sox would be a good match for him.  They have a good history with pitchers and Al is still an old school pitching guy and they don't come more old school than Don Cooper.  It could work if they're willing to meet his price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

I hope the pick is between Abrams and Bleday, who I think will make the bigs quickly. 

Which means you don't like Vaughn, or you think he will be gone.  Which?

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Drafting Baty would absolutely lead to the most interesting draft as a whole. Imagine the depth you could add to your system with the potential savings on Baty. Baty is ranked around 15th to 17th for most publications. If you napkin math 15th slot compared to the 3rd slot value, you are saving roughly 3.3 million you can play with later. They could do a lot of damage with that money. Insulating a top heavy system would be very nice. Also there is plenty of risk there. Especially with AZ lurking with all those picks in the early going.

I think I'm in favor of grabbing Vaughn still, but for sheer entertainment value I'd have fun seeing what they do after Baty.

Hostetler has been saying whenever asked (I’m aware he has incentive to lie/misdirect) that this draft is top heavy. I don’t see the logic in moving away from the concensus top picks based on that. 

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Which means you don't like Vaughn, or you think he will be gone.  Which?

I don't like Vaughn. 

I think taking a 1B only prospect and a bad body guy that high is mistake and would be a terrible pick. 

He would have to hit out of his mind to make it worthwhile. 

6 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I don't like Vaughn. 

I think taking a 1B only prospect and a bad body guy that high is mistake and would be a terrible pick. 

He would have to hit out of his mind to make it worthwhile. 

Blasphemy. /sarcasm 

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I really hope the Sox do not cute with the #3 pick. There is no guarantee that the guy you are trying to float will actually be there. This happened to the Sox with Fulmer (Benitendi) and with Burger (Adell). Just grab on of Witt, Ruschtman, or Vaughn please. 

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Law is on ESPN right now talking draft. He says the mock hes working on for tomorrow has Adley going 1, Witt 2, and Vaughn 3.

Seems like the recent mocks have the Sox more on Vaughn now instead of Abrams.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic