2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

Mayo saying there are now rumblings of Baltimore not taking Adley at 1.

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-news-2019-mlb-draft?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

The night before the Draft is often a time for chatter about changes at the very top of the first round. And this year is no different.

All spring, Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman has been atop all talent rankings. And there was a general consensus that he should, and would, be the No. 1 pick. The Orioles, led by GM Mike Elias, are staying mum. Early on there was talk that they were looking at a large number of players, but it seemed likely Baltimore would go with the best player on the board, in Rutschman.

Now, about 24 hours before the first pick is announced, there is some buzz that the Orioles will not be taking the switch-hitting backstop. High-level scouts from two different teams picking later in the first round were insistent that Baltimore is not planning on taking Rutschman.

Could it be posturing? Absolutely. But there is some noise that things are up in the air in the Orioles' Draft room. Even if Rutschman isn't completely out of the mix, it sounds like the Orioles are seriously discussing numerous options. Cal first baseman Andrew Vaughn is considered one of the top two alternatives, followed by a relatively new name in terms of serious conversation: Vanderbilt outfielder JJ Bleday. And some feel Texas prep shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. is still a possibility.

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

That's the question. Both Law and Kiley believe they would go with Adley when asked that question recently.

That being said, I hope they outsmart themselves and go with Vaughn. If Adley makes it to the Sox they need to run up there, make the pick and deal with the bonus demands later. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

That being said, I hope they outsmart themselves and go with Vaughn. If Adley makes it to the Sox they need to run up there, make the pick and deal with the bonus demands later. 

Yup yup. Vaughn or Bleday and I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Second to last BA mock. One more tomorrow with just names. Probably later in the day. Will post the top 6.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

1 BAL - Adley Rutschman

There are plenty of rumors floating around that the Orioles are exploring other options, and that includes Bobby Witt Jr., Andrew Vaughn and JJ Bleday—with most buzz on the two college bats—but at this point we still think it's noise. The Tigers had similar rumors a year ago before they took the consensus top talent in the class with the first pick and we're still expecting Rutschman to be the first name called.

2 KC - Bobby Witt Jr.

Witt still sounds like a lock to the Royals with their second pick and we've heard nothing to sway us from that selection here. It would be fascinating to see what the Royals would do if Witt did in fact get picked first, but in that situation taking Rutschman seems like a no-brainer.

3 CWS - Andrew Vaughn

We quickly get to a pick that doesn't seem locked in and we're only three deep. Vaughn and Abrams are the two most frequently named players for this spot and we think it'll be one of the two based on the information we have now. Vaughn would be a pick more in line with Chicago's recent tendencies and line up more with the White Sox minor league talent, while Abrams would be a sign of a different philosophy in the first round.

4 MIA - J.J. Bleday

Regardless of who goes No. 3, Bleday remains the favorite for the Marlins. As we've mentioned previously, scouting director D.J. Svihlik previously coached at Vanderbilt, which could give him more insight into Bleday than others. Louisiana State shortstop Josh Smith and Pac-12 Pitcher of the year Ryan Garcia (UCLA) could be options for Miami's second pick at 35.

5 DET - Riley Greene

If the White Sox go with Abrams with their third pick, Vaughn could go off the board here, but if he doesn't make it the Tigers remain the favorite for the best prep hitter in the class.

6 SD - C.J. Abrams

The top six players haven't changed at all since our last mock draft, and in this scenario San Diego would grab Abrams, though some sources think that San Diego might prefer a quicker-moving college player who could impact their major league team sooner than the speedy prep shortstop. Arizona State outfielder Hunter Bishop would be the best college player on the board here, but he doesn't scream "fast mover."

Edited by DirtySox

If anyone wants to see a very interesting analysis of Vaughn as a hitter, go to the Royals SB Nation link.  They did a write-up on him that combined the analysis that you see on various sites, but they also have a hitting expert breaking down his swing using video as to why it is so exceptionally good.  The expert does his analysis with a side by side comparison with Gary Sanchez' current swing because the two swings are as close to identical as you will see in two players.  Vaughn is basically a pure, all-fields hitter who can hit home runs without trying to hit home runs.  One expert said he had 80 grade power to all fields.  If that isn't enough, BA wrote "in addition to his feel for the barrel and ability to hit with authority, Vaughn has an uncanny understanding of the strike zone."   The consensus is that he possesses a "preternatural" understanding of how to hit.  I actually went and confirmed that that word meant what I thought it meant: rare, extraordinary, phenomenal, etc.)   My impression is that some experts think getting Vaughn would be the equivalent of getting a Vladimir Guerrero Jr..  I'm not a scout, and I don't know if all this stuff is 100% accurate; however, one could see how even the Orioles or the Royals might be tempted to get an offensive stud and why the White Sox might think that if getting Vaughn were the worst thing they did tomorrow, then they would not be in bad shape.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kc is going Witt if he's there. If vaugh or bledley go one, kc sticks with witt.

I hope so but I would be surprised.  The Royals have an old injured Sal Perez and prospect MJ Melendez but he’s no sure bet.

In any case, while it’s always nice to draft #1, is anyone else liking that the Sox pick will pretty much be made for them by who goes #1 and #2?

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic