2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

38 minutes ago, Thomas_Ventura_Roberts said:

If anyone wants to see a very interesting analysis of Vaughn as a hitter, go to the Royals SB Nation link.  They did a write-up on him that combined the analysis that you see on various sites, but they also have a hitting expert breaking down his swing using video as to why it is so exceptionally good.  The expert does his analysis with a side by side comparison with Gary Sanchez' current swing because the two swings are as close to identical as you will see in two players.  Vaughn is basically a pure, all-fields hitter who can hit home runs without trying to hit home runs.  One expert said he had 80 grade power to all fields.  If that isn't enough, BA wrote "in addition to his feel for the barrel and ability to hit with authority, Vaughn has an uncanny understanding of the strike zone."   The consensus is that he possesses a "preternatural" understanding of how to hit.  I actually went and confirmed that that word meant what I thought it meant: rare, extraordinary, phenomenal, etc.)   My impression is that some experts think getting Vaughn would be the equivalent of getting a Vladimir Guerrero Jr..  I'm not a scout, and I don't know if all this stuff is 100% accurate; however, one could see how even the Orioles or the Royals might be tempted to get an offensive stud and why the White Sox might think that if getting Vaughn were the worst thing they did tomorrow, then they would not be in bad shape.

I couldn't find it. Would you please post the link? Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Until watching that last video on there, I didn't realize Vaughn was on the USA baseball 15U team. In a weird way, that makes me feel better about him. It probably shouldn't, but knowing he was well thought of that long ago makes me more confident than when I thought he wasn't that big of a prospect coming out of high school.

Well guys, I think we just have to trust the "Pros". This is their job and they have much more information than all of us, put together. Whomever they select, it should be an interesting and exciting evening. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for a stimulating discussion and all of the information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas_Ventura_Roberts said:

If anyone wants to see a very interesting analysis of Vaughn as a hitter, go to the Royals SB Nation link.  They did a write-up on him that combined the analysis that you see on various sites, but they also have a hitting expert breaking down his swing using video as to why it is so exceptionally good.  The expert does his analysis with a side by side comparison with Gary Sanchez' current swing because the two swings are as close to identical as you will see in two players.  Vaughn is basically a pure, all-fields hitter who can hit home runs without trying to hit home runs.  One expert said he had 80 grade power to all fields.  If that isn't enough, BA wrote "in addition to his feel for the barrel and ability to hit with authority, Vaughn has an uncanny understanding of the strike zone."   The consensus is that he possesses a "preternatural" understanding of how to hit.  I actually went and confirmed that that word meant what I thought it meant: rare, extraordinary, phenomenal, etc.)   My impression is that some experts think getting Vaughn would be the equivalent of getting a Vladimir Guerrero Jr..  I'm not a scout, and I don't know if all this stuff is 100% accurate; however, one could see how even the Orioles or the Royals might be tempted to get an offensive stud and why the White Sox might think that if getting Vaughn were the worst thing they did tomorrow, then they would not be in bad shape.

If adley and witt are gone i want vaughn he can flat out hit, I do not care what position he plays.

Killer stuff.

Hope *cough* some *cough* people read this post.

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

6:00 Central Time. Coverage starts at 5:00 Central time

Crap.

Just realized my son’s parent teacher conference is at the same time.

First three picks will be made probably by the time I’m just getting done and home.

Hot Damn if thats the truth I am 100% in on Vaughn after vacillating between anyone and everyone but, "value" or handedness be damned.

Pipeline's penultimate mock. Looks like everyone has the Sox on Vaughn.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-on-june-2?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

1. Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State

The chatter has been loud about the O’s going in a different direction here, with Cal’s Andrew Vaughn and Vanderbilt’s JJ Bleday the most likely alternatives (Bobby Witt Jr. seems to still be in the conversation as well), but there’s not enough as of this writing to make the switch official.

2. Royals: Bobby Witt Jr., SS, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage HS

Even if the O’s don’t take Rutschman, look for the Royals to stick with Witt (unless Baltimore takes him, of course). This one has appeared to be the most bankable projection all spring.

3. White Sox: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California

The White Sox continue to debate toolsy high school shortstop CJ Abrams vs. the advanced bat of Vaughn. Bleday is in the conversation, too, and the club has at least investigated making a deal with Texas prep infielder Brett Baty. It’s probably safe to assume Rutschman wouldn’t get past this spot.

4. Marlins: JJ Bleday, OF, Vanderbilt

Bleday appears to be the top choice but there could be a spirited debate if Vaughn got here. Abrams and Florida area outfielder Riley Greene are the high school options.

5. Tigers: Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty HS (Oviedo, Fla.)

The Tigers have long been connected to Greene, but there are sure to be advocates for Abrams as well. Arizona State’s Hunter Bishop and TCU lefty Nick Lodolo remain in the conversation.

6. Padres: CJ Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity Catholic HS (Roswell, Ga.)

There is the chance that Abrams could slide a bit. There’s some talk the Padres are looking at college bats, which could mean Bishop.

Edited by DirtySox

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I hope so but I would be surprised.  The Royals have an old injured Sal Perez and prospect MJ Melendez but he’s no sure bet.

In any case, while it’s always nice to draft #1, is anyone else liking that the Sox pick will pretty much be made for them by who goes #1 and #2?

Quick dumb question. Why didn’t they allow trades in the baseball draft. Someone gave clear answer to why not but I can’t remember what it was. If would make a hell of a lot more exciting that’s for sure.  Thanx

On 6/1/2019 at 10:10 PM, SoxBlanco said:

If you could guarantee Vaughn would turn into the same player as Paul Goldschmidt, would you rather take Vaughn or roll the dice on Abrams?

Or Steve Garvey. He was a RH undersized 1st baseman who in his prime got MVP votes 8 years in a row ( though I don't understand why that 8th year.) and won gold gloves . 300 hitter.350 OBP never only hit 30 HR's once but it was a different era.  Vaughn seems to have more power and a better eye. Garvey went downhill after about age 31. But everyday for 7 years he was in the lineup . Hardly missed any games in that span.

14 hours ago, zisk said:

It just dawned on me who Vaughn reminds me of. Steve Garvey with more patience. Garvey was an outstanding hitter

who only looked really good because of dodger stadium robbing him or 5-10 homers a year. His only flaw was a lack

of patience. He was also a real good 1st baseman, even at only 5'10".

Ha I've spent weeks thinking of Steve Garvey as a comp since no one else brought him up and I finally made a post about it and here you are beating me to the punch.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:40 PM, turnin' two said:

Completely off the rails here, but if you haven't been to Portland, it is cool as heck.  Nice little 2 hour flight, really cool vibe, so great food, a neat little city.

Funny, I just visited Portland on Tuesday. My girlfriend and I went to Boston for vacation for the week, but we used Tuesday, before my friends arrived on Wednesday, to drive up to Portland, Maine for the day. It was 45 and rainy all day, but it was a cute little city. My girlfriend loved that entire New England area of Boston, Salem, and Portland.

Rutschman is a sure bet at one, at fangraphs they even said he is like the best number 1 in years. 

The witt, Vaughn, abrams, bleday group is good too but at fg they said they see them behind mize who was first last year and rutschman clearly ahead so there really is a whole tier between rutschman and the other 4-5.

Because of this I don't think rutschman slips and if he slips the royals will take him even though they love witt.

On 6/2/2019 at 7:10 AM, SoxBlanco said:

If you could guarantee Vaughn would turn into the same player as Paul Goldschmidt, would you rather take Vaughn or roll the dice on Abrams?

If vaughn would be guaranteed to be goldschmidt of course he would go first overall. Floor matters and he has plenty of it but there also is a chance he becomes a 265/25 hr guy which would limit his value while Abrams could be a 260/15 homer guy and still have similar value to Vaughn's madian projection.

But of course abrams could also bust out competely which is quite unlikely for vaughn who has a realistic worst case outcome (unless catastrophic injury or other circumstance) of being a slightly above average hitter while Abrams could be a billy hamilton or byron buxton type of bat bust.

But of course abrams could also be lindor and then he is the best player of the class even ahead of rutschman and of course any ceiling outcome of Vaughn.

I'm good with Vaughn, even if less sanguine about it than earlier this season, especially coming off his Golden Spikes season last year. If, however, Vaughn is unavailable or Sox depart from their MO, I'm hoping for something aggressive and have really warmed up to the idea of signing Baty under slot then bulking up offers for second and third picks. Love some of the HS arms.  

I would be fine with Vaughn, especially because he is the consensus best hitter in the draft and his build looks a lot better than Burger’s.

Yeah, it kind of sucks that best player available for the Sox may be a 1B but you still have to take BPA.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic