2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

Of these top 3-5 hitters in the draft, how many would be ready quickly?  And by quickly I mean playing at the MLB level within the next year or two?  I know that shouldn't matter, but if the Sox draft a SS (Witt) or a C (Rutschman), there would be less concern about having them ready because they have MLB talent that could be here for a few years.  But if they draft Vaughn, would they more interested in having him ready quicker?

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t even know what this is but no.

I assume his point is that he doesn’t want to draft another big 1B/DH type slugger because we already have plenty.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

For anyone that wants tools and 5 of them to be exact... the Sox should take Vaughn one and then push fletcher up to their second round pick. Fletcher might have the highest ceiling in this draft in terms of 5 tools and he's likely much better than his draft slot due to reclassing and etc.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For anyone that wants tools and 5 of them to be exact... the Sox should take Vaughn one and then push fletcher up to their second round pick. Fletcher might have the highest ceiling in this draft in terms of 5 tools and he's likely much better than his draft slot due to reclassing and etc.

You just made it move for Kenny.

58 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t even know what this is but no.

We have 6 guys currently that project to or are 1B/DH types.  I would much rather get a slugging corner OF since we don't have any.  I'm not counting Eloy for obvious reasons.

13 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We have 6 guys currently that project to or are 1B/DH types.  I would much rather get a slugging corner OF since we don't have any.  I'm not counting Eloy for obvious reasons.

Burger = big question mark to even make the show, IMO

Collins = Sox still have him earmarked for catcher

Mercedes = getting a bit old for a prospect.  He’s probably trade fodder.

Eloy = LF for now, but I could see DH in his future

Abreu = nearing retirement

Vaughn = still makes sense to replace Abreu at 1B considering all of the above and that not all guys will pan out

Edited by Moan4Yoan

I'm of the mind that Colome will be dealt. I wouldn't mind solving for either 1B or MI in trade. If 1B, Boston, an ideal trade partner (if they remain in contention) has a quintessential 1B prospect in Casas. If WS take Abrams at 3...lets go get Casas. Alternatively, if Sox take Vaughn, would focus trade attempts at MI and, in particular, Brewers and/or Cubs. Both need Colome and both have MI prospects in their systems who would fit our window (Hoerner, Turang, Dubon)

4 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Anyone know what the deal is with Brett Baty? I saw on the latest MLB Pipeline Mock Draft it said that the White Sox were potentially interested in him.

Maybe the 2nd or 3rd best pure hitter in the draft.  He's getting dinged by stat drivin teams because of his age.  He could be an absolute steal for a traditional scouting team.  

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic