2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

3. White Sox – Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Cal
In the event Vaughn/Bleday goes first and Witt goes at two, this is Rutschman’s floor, however unlikely that scenario is. The tide has shifted again at this pick and Vaughn now looks to be the favorite with Georgia prep SS C.J. Abrams fading, possibly far. Texas prep 3B Brett Baty is the cut-rate option, but appears to be a long shot. Particularly if they can cut here, the White Sox are looking to float an overpay prep arm to their second pick, but that may be tough sledding.

Who is the prep arm they would be interested in?

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they believe in his tools and think they will translate to the next level it doesn't matter how old he is in high school.

His power is legit but there are a lot of teams that get hung up on DOBs for highschoolers in particular. Look at the Indians draft history of recent. 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was unable to wfh tomorrow and I'm all alone with stupid kids bedtime tonight, so this draft is gonna be very phone heavy for me.

I hope your kids don't read this board lol.  Just read them the live draft feed on twitter as their bedtime story tonight. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

3. White Sox – Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Cal
In the event Vaughn/Bleday goes first and Witt goes at two, this is Rutschman’s floor, however unlikely that scenario is. The tide has shifted again at this pick and Vaughn now looks to be the favorite with Georgia prep SS C.J. Abrams fading, possibly far. Texas prep 3B Brett Baty is the cut-rate option, but appears to be a long shot. Particularly if they can cut here, the White Sox are looking to float an overpay prep arm to their second pick, but that may be tough sledding.

Who is the prep arm they would be interested in?

So here is some deductive reasoning which won't be very good:

- Seems like Walston is basically a lock to the dbacks

- Priester/Allan seem too high to fall.

- Goss/Malone are often mentioned in top first but still a possibility.

That leaves:

- Goss/Malone/Espino

- Vandy Commits ($$$): Leiter / Jones*

- Hunter Barco

- Jimmy Lewis

- Josh Wolf

- Bryce Osmond

- Matthew Thompson

I feel good about Vaughn, but can someone reassure me again that he is significantly better than Pavin Smith? What differentiates the two? Smith was a top 10 pick, college 1B, good contact/power combo with a low strikeout rate, but he's been really underwhelming so far in the DBacks' system.

1 minute ago, Buehrlesque said:

I feel good about Vaughn, but can someone reassure me again that he is significantly better than Pavin Smith? What differentiates the two? Smith was a top 10 pick, college 1B, good contact/power combo with a low strikeout rate, but he's been really underwhelming so far in the DBacks' system.

Vaughn has significantly more power. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

I hope your kids don't read this board lol.  Just read them the live draft feed on twitter as their bedtime story tonight. 

They can't read (b/c so stupid). JK, I mostly love bedtime but times like this it's like "dude you've read that book 100 times, the truck is best friends with the frog cool let's go to bed"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Can anyone give me the lowdown a kid named Jordan Brewer entering the draft? My coworker coached him in Ohio and raves about this kid. He currently plays 1b/of for Michigan. He coached the kid when he was little I just wanna know how good is he?

Potential 5 tool talent. I believe he was at a JuCo for his first two years so this is his first year going against top talent. Playing first and right, but could play center in the majors but Michigan has a really good defensive CF right now. Scouts don't like the lack of track record, but at some point in the third round or so, he might just have so many more tools than everyone else that a team will risk it.

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

His power is legit but there are a lot of teams that get hung up on DOBs for highschoolers in particular. Look at the Indians draft history of recent. 

The Indians use algorithms to select their players which is why they draft young players.  Those algorithms ding players for age.  The White Sox do not use algorithms.

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Oh, you mean the negotiations that are taking place between teams and players that shouldn’t be?  😂

I don't think there is any rule against this.

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Indians use algorithms to select their players which is why they draft young players.  Those algorithms ding players for age.  The White Sox do not use algorithms.

That's great but nothing in my post said anything about the White Sox and their strategy. Just illustrating the point that there are organizations that put weight into the relative age of high schoolers. I think there is validity there.  

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Potential 5 tool talent. I believe he was at a JuCo for his first two years so this is his first year going against top talent. Playing first and right, but could play center in the majors but Michigan has a really good defensive CF right now. Scouts don't like the lack of track record, but at some point in the third round or so, he might just have so many more tools than everyone else that a team will risk it.

Brewer is ranked #108 in the class according to pipeline. 

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 65 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

As a high school wide receiver, Brewer drew interest from the likes of Michigan and Wisconsin, but his football hopes evaporated when he dislocated his shoulder as a senior. He slipped through the cracks in baseball recruiting and wound up spending his first two college seasons at Lincoln Trail (Ill.) CC. He has been a revelation after joining the Wolverines as a junior, exciting scouts with his combination of tools and performance while winning the Big Ten Conference player of the year award.

If he realizes his upside, Brewer will have at least solid tools across the board. He has well above-average speed and plus raw power, giving him 20-20 potential. He doesn't try to do too much at the plate, using his combination of a quick right-handed swing and strength to deliver hard contact to all fields.

A center fielder at Lincoln Trail, Brewer has played mostly right field and first base this spring because Michigan had greater needs there. He needs to refine his instincts a bit but he has the quickness to become a quality defender in center when he returns there in pro ball. His arm grades as average to solid and plays up because he makes accurate throws.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

That's great but nothing in my post said anything about the White Sox and their strategy. Just illustrating the point that there are organizations that put weight into the relative age of high schoolers. I think there is validity there.  

I illistrated that point in my previous post.

33 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Can anyone give me the lowdown a kid named Jordan Brewer entering the draft? My coworker coached him in Ohio and raves about this kid. He currently plays 1b/of for Michigan. He coached the kid when he was little I just wanna know how good is he?

He went to St. Joseph High School, which was my rival school growing up. Wish I knew more about him, but I moved from that area 9 years ago. Definitely rooting for the kid.

37 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Maybe I missed someone posting this, but here's a paywall BA scouting report. He's ranked 158 on the top 500.

Scouting Report: Brewer has proven to be a revelation for Michigan as the JuCo transfer from Lincoln Trail (Ill.) JC quickly turned into the Wolverines’ best hitter. A rare righthanded hitter who throws lefthanded, Brewer has primarily played first base and right field because Jesse Franklin was already established in center field for Michigan, but Brewer projects as a potential center fielder in pro ball thanks to his athleticism and 70-grade speed. He’s a surprisingly adept first baseman as well, but that position fails to fully take advantage of his speed. He can play all three outfield spots, and his plus arm fits in right field. Brewer’s swing can get too long and he swings and misses too much because he occasionally expands his strike zone, but he stings the ball when he connects and he has some pull-side power to left and left-center field. He also is one of the best basestealers in the Big Ten with 19 steals in 23 attempts. Brewer is one of the more athletic college hitters in the Midwest and led the conference in hitting.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic