2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Law just put out a 3.1 mock 30 min ago.  These pay walls are a joke.

Be prepared, because people have to get paid, paywalls are the future of the internet. It won't be long before you have to pay to read just about anything. 

If they don't beat net neutrality, they'll just paywall everything. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So what's the best case?  Thanks I'll take your answers off the air.

Vaughn or Bleday going 1.1 for savings to allocate later. Seems the consensus is that KC still wouldn't waver from Witt. Adley falls into the White Sox lap. There are also rumors that the O's might pop Witt. That would likely lead to KC taking Adley. That's less desirable.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DirtySox said:

Vaughn or Bleday going 1.1 for underslot. Seems the consensus is that KC still wouldn't waver from Witt. Adley falls into the White Sox lap.

Thanks.  Seems like if that doesn't happen Sox will try and underslot themselves and grab a prep arm in the 2nd.  Just looking at Fangraphs' latest mock right now.  Wouldn't be thrilled with another college corner bat but looks like that may be the pick.

9 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I find it extremely unlikely the Orioles pass on Adley, although if he does have "shoulder issues" its possible they do pass on him. These are the Orioles afterall.

This is a very good point. I forgot about the Orioles anal behavior towards injuries.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I find it extremely unlikely the Orioles pass on Adley, although if he does have "shoulder issues" its possible they do pass on him. These are the Orioles afterall.

Bingo.

I think the Os are going to take Adley and try to lowball him and use the injury as an excuse. I think it is worth it to them because should he not sign, they'll have 2 of the top 3 picks next year, if not the top 2. They actually have all of the leverage  because they're so bad that they could just take him again next year and get him for even less. They could straight up tell him to take it or leave it because they're likely to have the option to take him again next year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The funny thing about this is nobody wants him as a 19.5 year old HS 3B. But if he goes to Texas and mashes, two years from now he'll be a top 10 lock. So strange. 

But he may not. Let him do that first then he's a top 5.

At this point, with the attendant risk, no....

As for saving money, I'm all for it (draft Bishop, e.g.), if they use it wisely.  But last time they did that, they got Burger for under slot and used it for Sheets who had little leverage anyway.

Edited by GreenSox

44 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Vaughn or Bleday going 1.1 for savings to allocate later. Seems the consensus is that KC still wouldn't waver from Witt. Adley falls into the White Sox lap. There are also rumors that the O's might pop Witt. That would likely lead to KC taking Adley. That's less desirable.

The bolded seems much more likely than Vaughn or Bleday going #1, in my less than 100% informed opinion. 

6 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

the orioles are a very bad organization right now so it wont surprised me if they assed on the catcher

The orioles hired Mike Elias and Sig Mejdal from the Astros who were some of the top architects of their rebuild so if they pass on Adley it is either ownership medical stuff like we've seen in past or they value adley equally to another prospect that is cheaper, but I wouldn't call them a very bad organization right now. This is a whole new group that had a lot of previous success.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The bolded seems much more likely than Vaughn or Bleday going #1, in my less than 100% informed opinion. 

I think it would all depend on the reason for passing on Adley. If it’s strictly medical, I think they’d 100% go Witt. If it’s to save money, they’d have to go Vaughn, Bleday, Abrams, or Greene. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic