2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

41 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Go look up some recent mocks Chief

Nothing has changed with Vaughn. Guaranteed he's going to be high up on the MLB Pipeline list too. Fangraphs and MLB are much more in touch then a random website that garners traffic from anyone googling "Mock Draft."

On 11/30/2018 at 7:50 AM, ChiSoxJon said:

Doesn't look like Vaughn is that highly thought of anymore, wasn't too big a fan anyway:

https://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2019/

not sure how much PAC12 baseball you get to watch...but Vaughn is a complete stud at the plate.  I'd take him in a heartbeat and not even hesitate.  I've heard some chatter about he's such a good athlete could probably play 3B too...like a Bob Horner type player.  I'm a huge fan of Andrew Vaughn.

4 minutes ago, Wanne said:

not sure how much PAC12 baseball you get to watch...but Vaughn is a complete stud at the plate.  I'd take him in a heartbeat and not even hesitate.  I've heard some chatter about he's such a good athlete could probably play 3B too...like a Bob Horner type player.  I'm a huge fan of Andrew Vaughn.

PG has him #2 among college players (behind Rutschman). I never knew he existed until I read a piece on him in FG. Once I checked out his numbers, I thought they had made a mistake. No one puts up the metrics he did last year. You can go back to when he was in HS and he has always been a freakish hitter. Even his peers are deferential toward him.  I'm praying he is available and we draft him. 

1 hour ago, Wanne said:

I also wonder if you could throw him out into a corner OF spot without disastrous results.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

PG has him #2 among college players (behind Rutschman). I never knew he existed until I read a piece on him in FG. Once I checked out his numbers, I thought they had made a mistake. No one puts up the metrics he did last year. You can go back to when he was in HS and he has always been a freakish hitter. Even his peers are deferential toward him.  I'm praying he is available and we draft him. 

I watch a ton of ASU baseball...go out to Muni when I can and honestly he was the most impressive hitter I saw last year in terms of overall production plus power.  Madrigal is/was a great college hitter...but Vaughn is a shade above him IMO. He hit very well against ASU.  Another name to keep an eye out for who's only a soph this year at ASU is Spencer Torkelson.  Hit 25 dingers as a frosh and hit around .325 or so. Be interesting to see how he develops this year as well.

1 hour ago, Wanne said:

I watch a ton of ASU baseball...go out to Muni when I can and honestly he was the most impressive hitter I saw last year in terms of overall production plus power.  Madrigal is/was a great college hitter...but Vaughn is a shade above him IMO. He hit very well against ASU.  Another name to keep an eye out for who's only a soph this year at ASU is Spencer Torkelson.  Hit 25 dingers as a frosh and hit around .325 or so. Be interesting to see how he develops this year as well.

Didn't he break Barry Bonds freshman homerun record at ASU? Dude has serious power, but he really doesn't seem to get much draft love and even less than Vaughn. 

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

Didn't he break Barry Bonds freshman homerun record at ASU? Dude has serious power, but he really doesn't seem to get much draft love and even less than Vaughn. 

He more than doubled Bonds freshman output.  Fell a couple shy of season all time record. Torkelson led the PAC in four categories  slugging .754, runs, total bases and HRs.  He won't be getting any draft love until next year when he's eligible.  He really exploded onto the scene last spring.  He's another of those guys that can play 3B and this summer he played corner OF at Cape Cod.  Hopefully Tracy Smith doesn't fuck him up.   I really haven't seen a coach more hated that Tracy Smith out here lol...not even close.

3 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

There was a Baseball America Cape Cod write-up on him not too long ago. Will see if I can find it.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

There was a Baseball America Cape Cod write-up on him not too long ago. Will see if I can find it.

Hah. He's number two on the BA Top 2018 Cape Cod Prospects list. Right behind Vaughn. Will post both. Paywall.

1. Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Wareham (Jr., California)

Vaughn had a sensational sophomore season at Cal and won the Golden Spikes Award after hitting .402/.531/.819 with 23 home runs. A veteran of USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team, he was invited back again this summer. But because Cal did not reach the NCAA Tournament, Vaughn was able to spend the first couple weeks of his summer on the Cape, where he hit .308/.368/.654 with five home runs in 14 games. He was the Cape’s home run leader when he left and despite his early departure, just 12 players in the league hit more home runs.

Vaughn has done nothing but hit in college, and that didn’t stop during his time with Wareham. He is very disciplined at the plate and does a good job of consistently barreling up the ball. He has plus power and has learned to get to it well.

Vaughn presents one of the most interesting profiles of any player in the draft class. He has established himself as one of the best hitters for the 2019 draft, but he is also a righthanded-hitting first baseman listed at 5-foot-11, 215 pounds. That puts extra pressure on Vaughn’s bat, but if he keeps hitting the way he has been, it won’t hold him back much.

2. Spencer Torkelson, OF/1B, Chatham (So., Arizona State)

Torkelson took college baseball by storm this spring and led the nation with 25 home runs. He earned a spot on Team USA, but still spent most of the summer hitting in the middle of Chatham’s lineup. He hit .333/.472/.704 with seven home runs in 25 regular season games with the Anglers and added three more homers in six playoff games.

Torkelson has well above-average raw power and has consistently shown the ability to get to it in games. The righthanded hitter generates impressive bat speed with his quick hands and the strength in his 6-foot-2, 210-pound frame. Like many young power hitters, Torkelson has some swing-and-miss in his game, and he struck out 22.6 percent of the time on the Cape, but he also walked about as much as he struck out.

Torkelson played first base at Arizona State this spring, but he worked exclusively in right field for Chatham. He’s a work in progress in the outfield, but he has enough athleticism to give him a chance to stick there with more experience. His bat will play at any position, and while talk of him being the top overall pick in 2020 is premature, he’s established himself as one of the best hitters in the college ranks.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-cape-cod-league-top-10-prospects/

• Thanks 1

MLB Pipeline's Top 50 2019 Draft prospects is out:

1. Rutschman

2. Witt

3. Vaughn.

1-2 are no surprise, but Vaughn at 3 is. Interestingly, MLB Pipeline puts a 60 grade on all three, meaning they are relatively close in terms of status.  They see Vaughn at firstbase only, but note he is very solid there. The funny thing will be to see this list in six months, as I am sure the top 10 will be very different.

Edited by maggsmaggs

28 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

1. Rutschman

2. Witt

3. Vaughn.

1-2 are no surprise, but Vaughn at 3 is. Interestingly, MLB Pipeline puts a 60 grade on all three, meaning they are relatively close in terms of status.  They see Vaughn at firstbase only, but note he is very solid there. The funny thing will be to see this list in six months, as I am sure the top 10 will be very different.

I know it’s early, but shocking there isn’t an elite pitcher in this class.  Seems like someone will likely breakout next year and that should put us in tremendous spot at #3.  Much more optimistic about picking high in this draft than last year.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

59 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

1. Rutschman

2. Witt

3. Vaughn.

As is tradition, i believe madrigal was ranked 12th last year at the start of their list and mize was 9th maybe.

• Like 1

Kameron Misner was a name I hadn't heard before who sounds really interesting. Big tools and potential but missed time with an injury. Sounds exactly like a guy who puts it together for their junior year and rises up the boards. 

Edited by GenericUserName

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

Kameron Misner was a name I hadn't heard before who sounds really interesting. Big tools and potential but missed time with an injury. Sounds exactly like a guy who puts it together for their junior year and rises up the boards. 

Bah. I was going to post about Misner. He's my sleeper to push into the top tier.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic