2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

19 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Interesting. From the Fangraphs scouting report on Abrams. Is he the makeup guy?

Theres literally nothing historic about any Abrams tool. His speed? Puhleeze. Hes not faster than Buxton of Billy Hamilton or Engel for God sakes.

Speed ages poorly. His hit tool grades plus for a high school kid but that means nothing at the next level. His numbers weren't off the charts this year. 

If Abrams doesnt tap into power, if his hit tool doesnt translate, if he doesnt stay at short stop, then he's not worth the pick. If any of those three happen, imo, he wasnt worth it. That's far too risky for me.

I want two elite tools from a high school kid. Not one and one + tool. Especially when that other tool is by far the hardest tool to grade - in a HS even more so(the hit tool)

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's gotta be it. Crazy though, mostly read the opposite about him previously, especially on work ethic. Gonna have to put the nail in the abrams coffin to sox, too many tendencies that push them in a different direction.

The makeup guy they dq'ed didnt have a questionable makeup.. they implied it was widely known and all his teammates hate him. I'd be shocked if that was abrams.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The makeup guy they dq'ed didnt have a questionable makeup.. they implied it was widely known and all his teammates hate him. I'd be shocked if that was abrams.

Yes that's a good point.

This fits more with Kiley's "makeup" guy in a podcast who he didn't know how to write it up, but was more about how he was just silent and awkward in in-homes. I figured that's who this is about.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I, too, would like the perfect player with no uncertainty to be available at #3.  But I have the same concerns about not particularly athletic mashers, whom recently I have seen hit more of a wall once they face AA and AAA pitching, while high schoolers who are improving their body and skills facing top competition fly by them.

I really hope vaughn is a complete masher, I think he definitely is worth taking a chance on.

But people are taking at face value the idea that college competition is essentially the pros and we can just expect that type of player in the bigs, whereas the high school players are also what they are now, with no improvement.

I dont think anyone is saying college is the same as the pros. It's certainly a hell of a lot closer than Georgia high school baseball though 

Bledey has way too much movement in his load for my liking and such an extreme bat path.  I know his strikeout rate has been under control, but I think there's a really good chance he has big swing and miss tendencies at the pro level.

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I have way too many questions for Abrams at #3 personally.  I want Bleday for a LH, slugging, corner OF bat that we desperately need.  Vaughn I have some concern with as well but nowhere near the amount I have with Abrams.

Ugh.  Sox need to stop reaching for "need" with college bats.  

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yes that's a good point.

This fits more with Kiley's "makeup" guy in a podcast who he didn't know how to write it up, but was more about how he was just silent and awkward in in-homes. I figured that's who this is about.

Seems very possible for a high school kid. It's really uncomfortable to be evaluated by people you dont know who then question you as if they know you and then draw conclusions based on your awkward, uncomfortable and nervous responses 

6 minutes ago, username said:

Bledey has way too much movement in his load for my liking and such an extreme bat path.  I know his strikeout rate has been under control, but I think there's a really good chance he has big swing and miss tendencies at the pro level.

It may be, but it's nice to be in SEC. He may be more like a 25% k rate guy but I would be really surprised if he was out of control over 30% if he makes it.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

The BA round 1 rumors has been so dead.

Gonna assume we get a pretty standard top 5 at this point. 

rutsch/witt/vaughn/bleday/green

I'd take bishop over green in a heart beat. Bishop is so raw as a baseball player - similar to anderson and development can come rapidly and all at once with limited reps. His adjustments this year are off the chart and you still have that uncertaint high school like ceiling because he got started full time so late.

12 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

The latest mock drafts have Abrams slipping to #6, so this could be a moot point.  Unless, of course Williams overrides prevailing opinion and selects him anyway at #3.  It would be like Williams to do something stupid like that.

There will be 1,200 players drafted.  Going 6th overall is not "slipping".  

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd take bishop over green in a heart beat. Bishop is so raw as a baseball player - similar to anderson and development can come rapidly and all at once with limited reps. His adjustments this year are off the chart and you still have that uncertaint high school like ceiling because he got started full time so late.

I usually agree with your observations, especially on Abrams, and I too like Bishop. I'm just wondering if there are other sources which agree with you and Law, regarding how elite and special Vaughn's bat is? Is he clearly in a tier above Bleday and Bishop? 

Edited by Lillian

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There will be 1,200 players drafted.  Going 6th overall is not "slipping".  

The difference in slot between those two picks is 1.5 million dollars. Bet CJ would call it slipping. 

Edited by mqr

20 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I usually agree with your observations, especially on Abrams, and I too like Bishop. I'm just wondering if there are other sources which agree with you and Law, regarding how elite and special Vaughn's bat is? Is he clearly in a tier above Bleday and Bishop? 

Those two have a swing and miss in their game that likely will only get worse at the next level. Vaughn will be a slugger who controls his k-rate likely - it's very possibly Vaughn runs sub 18-17 k rates leading to him walking more than he strikes out which is the huge difference between his bat and the two you listed. Far better hit tool with the same power.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic