2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

IIRC I don't think Direct TV people get PAC12 network (I could be mistaken)...but that's a shame if you don't.  Or Vaughn would be on everybody's list.  I've usually leaned towards Vaughn at #3...but then I started thinking about another guy that completely raked (not quite like Vaughn)...but still I thought one of the better hitters in the draft that year.  A two-time PAC Player of the Year and Triple Crown Winner.  Thought we'd see him as a mainstay in an MLB lineup for quite a while.  But the dude never quite clicked in the majors.  Remember Brett Wallace from ASU?  Sometimes these guys don't quite get over that hump.  This is the thought that lingers in my head when/if it comes down to Vaughn or Langeliers at 3.

And for comparison sake...check out Wallace's numbers in 07:

2007 (Sophomore): The Pac-10's Triple Crown winner and Player of the Year, Wallace had one of the best seasons in Sun Devil history...finished the season with a .404 average and 107 hits...led the conference in batting average, slugging percentage (.687), runs scored (75), hits, RBI (78), homers (16) and total bases (182)...finished third in the conference in OBP at .484 and tied for fourth in walks (38)...was a consensus First Team All-American

Edited by Wanne

It seems like they both have some love for Misner.

Edited by GenericUserName

19 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Wouldn't like witt there unless his bat shows a lot of improvement against good pitching next year.

Plus power but if he really has contact issues against plus stuff I prefer someone else.

The fangraphs guys were saying there was a little less worry about his contact issues after his team USA stretch last month. I think one of them said they talked about it in the podcast that should be out soon. After watching a couple of the games and looking at the stats, I am much less concerned about his contact but much more worried about CJ Abrams and Riley Greene. My personal top 5 right now is probably 1) Rutchsman, 2a) Witt, 2b) Vaughn, 3a) Josh Jung, 3b) Corbin Carroll, with Kameron Misner as the wild card. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Need a slight break from Harpchado mania? BA has it's first mock draft of the season.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

Seems to be paywalled.  I'll share top 5.

Adley Rutschman

Oregon StateC

Notes:

Why It Makes Sense: Rutschman is more cemented into the No. 1 overall prospect slot than Florida righthander Brady Singer was at this time last year. And there’s as much consensus among teams in mid-December with Rutschman being the 1-1 favorite as there was with Auburn righthander Casey Mize at the midway point of the 2018 college season.

Bobby Witt Jr.

Coleyville (Texas) Heritage High SchoolSS

Notes:

Why It Makes Sense: 2019 seems to be a good year to pick No. 2, as the Royals could happily select Witt, who has the tools, pedigree and performance that would make him the No. 1 favorite in other drafts. Last month, Witt led Team USA’s 18U team in hitting as the club won gold in the COPABE Pan-Am Championships in Panama.

Andrew Vaughn

California1B

Notes:

Why It Makes Sense: The White Sox have drafted college prospects with each of their last six first-round selections. After taking the best college hitter in 2018 in Nick Madrigal, the White Sox could do it again with Vaughn, who has a case as the best combination of both hitting ability and power in the draft class.

Riley Greene

Hagerty HS, Oviedo, Fla.OF

Notes:

Why It Makes Sense: While the White Sox have leaned towards the college ranks, Miami has preferred high school prospects with its last five first-round picks. A bat-first corner outfielder, most of Greene’s value comes from his offensive production, but he hits for average and power and is the best hitter in the 2019 prep class.

C.J. Abrams

Blessed Trinity HS, Roswell, Ga.SS

Notes:

Why It Makes Sense: It wouldn’t be shocking to see Abrams off the board before No. 5, given his elite speed, contact ability and defensive potential up the middle. Given the state of Detroit’s rebuild, taking a shot on a high-upside, lefthanded hitter with dynamic leadoff abilities could be smart.

Willing to answer further questions regarding the list as well.

Edited by DirtySox

22 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Do you think there is any way Adley could conceivably fall to the Sox? Like how  hard would he probably have to struggle for it to be comfortable enough for him to drop to the Sox yet not have major red flags.

15 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Do you think there is any way Adley could conceivably fall to the Sox? Like how  hard would he probably have to struggle for it to be comfortable enough for him to drop to the Sox yet not have major red flags.

I'm no expert and still doing research on this draft class, but I feel like it's going to take a combination of someone emerging with huge helium this year (Misner?), one of the Orioles/Royals wanting to go under-slot to allocate to later rounds, and the other team being enamored with Bobby Witt, for Adley to fall to 3. He's just so well rounded, so safe, plays a premium position, and will theoretically be quick to the bigs. Caveat. Still super early. Remember when Singer was going 1.1 this time last year? Though I feel Adley is a different animal.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Anything about Carter Stewart? With the amount of guys we have that might have to move over to first base I’m not sold on Vaughn. The pitching needs some more solid additions in my opinion 

41 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Usually pitching emerges during the season, and a scenario where a pitcher makes themselves attractive could happen.

18 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Anything about Carter Stewart? With the amount of guys we have that might have to move over to first base I’m not sold on Vaughn. The pitching needs some more solid additions in my opinion 

17. Nationals

Carter Stewart

No School RHP

Notes:

Why It Makes Sense: On talent, Stewart ranks ahead of all the prep pitchers in the 2019 class and most of the college pitchers as well, but his wrist situation could muddy the waters. For a team that wants to take a chance, Stewart has two potential 70-grade offerings, including an elite curveball. The Nationals have never been afraid to take a chance on an arm with injury questions in the first round. This one is also tricky because Stewart’s grievance has yet to be settled after he and the Braves didn’t agree to a signing bonus last June.

51 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Mike Elias is the new GM in Baltimore. He led the charge on drafting Carlos Correa when the industry wasn't really on him at #1. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go with Abrams or a different HS player here. That could leave Sox picking between Rutschman and Witt. 

From Kiley's chat yesterday.

Mac: Who’s the best hitter in the draft?

1:11

Kiley McDaniel: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Cal. Might be 6 hit, 6 game power and good approach.

1:12

Kiley McDaniel: Adley Rutschman isn’t far behind and he’s an above average catcher, so that’s why he’s #1 by a good margin

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-12-19-18/

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic