2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

If Misner shows an improved hit tool and reigns in the K's while staying healthy, he's my guy. I also realllllly like Vaughn. Stott also intrigues me. Abrams too. So far I'm pretty okay at this early look at the top of the draft class. (Adley is the dream, but not expecting him available at all.)

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Only thing that concerns me is if Vaughn can hit tough pitching. PAC 12 pitching was bad last year.  Very, very small sample size, but looks like he struggled against a good SMC pitcher last night.  He’s still my guy though.

Im still for taking one of the high school shortstops first and foremost.

I've read that people aren't that high on the class, but I at least like the player types available at the top. Lots of MI, athletic CF, top college bat. Not that sad that college pitching isn't that strong at 3.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:01 PM, DirtySox said:

Some drafty stuff from Kiley's chat yesterday.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-2-27-19/

This is great.  Thanks for posting it!  

His list of 5 is exciting, it shows the Sox will have a choice of excellent prospects.  However, I expect they will make the worst choice possible.  Ce la Vie. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fathom said:

Only thing that concerns me is if Vaughn can hit tough pitching. PAC 12 pitching was bad last year.  Very, very small sample size, but looks like he struggled against a good SMC pitcher last night.  He’s still my guy though.

Vaughn batted 308/368/654 in cape cod last year. Not as dominant as in college but still very good.

21 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

One of the things you leave out though is the availability of viable replacements. You do need people who can play first, but if there are 25 good ones in the league, its less expensive to get one. On the other hand, catchers that can hit are extremely rare, so having a guy who will be at least an average bat there while also being a good defender is really hard to replace and as such would be incredibly expensive.

Ok that is fair enough, but does that give you value?  What if the catcher is only so so defensively?  Is it worth paying a premium for his offense for 120 games?

The catcher debate wasn't my point, I don't expect Rutschman will be available when the Sox pick anyways.  Obviously a SS or a CF can offer defensive value that a 1B can't.  But if it is a HS SS with a questionable hit tool, there is a lot of risk in that profile, and it doesn't seem to fit with the Sox developmental abilities (do they have any developmental abilities?  I don't know, I know they don't have that one though).  Personally I think the team needs more of those high risk guys in the system, and I wouldn't be against Abrams or Witt if they were available.  Personally, I just don't think Vaughn should be dismissed because he plays first.  If you buy the bat (again, I have never seen him play, so I am basing it off his results and reports), it seems like he will be able to justify a Top 5 or Top 3 draft pick regardless of his position.  If he is the best player, even just on the merits of his bat, you take him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Im still for taking one of the high school shortstops first and foremost.

I've read that people aren't that high on the class, but I at least like the player types available at the top. Lots of MI, athletic CF, top college bat. Not that sad that college pitching isn't that strong at 3.

I like CJ Abrams a lot but I'm not sure he stays at SS 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I like CJ Abrams a lot but I'm not sure he stays at SS 

I realize you want shortstops to be instinctual but these kids grow in these years and sometimes need to adapt to their new bodies. I just can't get that nervous over a lack of fluidity when he has such high marks athletically,

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Ho-hum. Vaughn 4-5 tonight with two 2 run HRs.

He's up to 5 HR, 13 RBI, 14 BB, and 3 Ks in 9 games. 

Would be nuts to see more HR than Ks on the year.....FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW.

According to my research, the last time someone did that, other than Vaughn in 2018, was Anthony Rendon in 2010 when he hit 26 HR and 22 K.

The Baseball Cube has been tracking college stats since 2002, and Vaughn's 2018 margin of +5 HR over K's on the year is the largest margin, tied with Khalil Greene in 2002.

20 hours ago, turnin' two said:

This is great.  Thanks for posting it!  

His list of 5 is exciting, it shows the Sox will have a choice of excellent prospects.  However, I expect they will make the worst choice possible.  Ce la Vie. 

C'est (it is) la vie

I have zero concerns about Abrams ability to play SS.  He has the athleticism and actions and by all accounts the work ethic and desire to be great.  He's very much like TA in that regard and amazingly there are still people out there who think he should be moved off SS.  All Abrams needs are reps and he'll get plenty of those.  He has a very real chance to develop into a gold glove SS. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I have zero concerns about Abrams ability to play SS.  He has the athleticism and actions and by all accounts the work ethic and desire to be great.  He's very much like TA in that regard and amazingly there are still people out there who think he should be moved off SS.  All Abrams needs are reps and he'll get plenty of those.  He has a very real chance to develop into a gold glove SS. 

From a Longenhagen chat:

Normally, speed guys are supposed to be good defenders. What keeps a guy like CJ Abrams at a 50 FV as a fielder?

Eric A Longenhagen: We have Abrams evaluated at SS right now but he has issues throwing from those weird athletic platforms that shortstops need to be able to throw from to be really good there. So he has elite range, his hands are fine, his windup/max effort arm strength is good, but he still may not be all that great at short because he can’t make these types of throws

Interesting Video.  When Tulo came up he had HOF written all over him, IMO.  Then the injuries started, some of which were his own fault.  If he has a couple really good years with Yanks, he still might make it.

14 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

From a Longenhagen chat:

Normally, speed guys are supposed to be good defenders. What keeps a guy like CJ Abrams at a 50 FV as a fielder?

Eric A Longenhagen: We have Abrams evaluated at SS right now but he has issues throwing from those weird athletic platforms that shortstops need to be able to throw from to be really good there. So he has elite range, his hands are fine, his windup/max effort arm strength is good, but he still may not be all that great at short because he can’t make these types of throws

Abrams has the arm strength so throwing from different "platforms" is a learnable skill.  Again all it takes is reps and he'll get plenty of those considering he's only 18 yrs old. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic