2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

36 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Ill give it a listen right now.

EDIT: Said they have heard whispers of scouts who say Vaughn should be 1-1.

Think there are no pitchers who are top 10 worthy right now.

Think Adley is an outstanding defensive catcher, which is something I hadn't heard yet.

They don't see the Orioles taking Vaughn, because Vaughn could be up in 2020, and would not fit their timeline for the rebuild. 

Said Bobby Witt has the highest ceiling in this draft.

Thinks Abrams has less of a chance to stick at SS, may move to CF. 

Fastest risers are Misner and Stott. Could be top 10 guys.

Don't think Misner can be a CF. Might have 70 raw power.

Stott might not stick at SS, but should be above average 3B. Will likely be drafted and tried out at SS to see how he does with a bigger frame.

Aren't sure what to think of Carter Stewart. Maybe mid-late 1st RD. Consistency is an issue, but stuff is great.

Thanks pal.

I feel it is a pretty good draft to draft third as there is no big drop off in the top4. Rutschman probably would be preferable but vaughn, Abrams and witt all seem to be pretty comparable albeit with different risk and upside profiles. I think either one would be fine so you don't have to worry that much about what the teams in front of you do.

This also means it doesn't make much sense to go for a late riser this year.

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I've decided that I am officially campaigning for RHP Drey Jameson to be our 2nd RD, 45th overall selection in June. Is it because he pitches for Ball State? 90% yes. The 10% is because he was mentioned on the MLB Pipeline podcast last night as a pitcher with serious helium right now. He is 6 foot, 165 pounds. Callis said that he throws upper 90s, has a very hard slider, and if the draft were today, he would go in the 1st or 2nd RD. 

Seems to be a bit herky-jerky in that delivery. Nice break on those sliders. Looks like he flipped in a slurve there too at some point. 

Control was a huge issue with him in 2018, but holy smokes he has 39 K's in 23 IP so far in 2019 with 6 BB.

Cubs had someone out to watch one of his starts this season in which he threw 6 no-hit innings. They have picks #27 and #64.

14 hours ago, Lillian said:

If both Rutschman and Vaughn go first and second, is there another college player, who could emerge at #3? All of the projections seem to indicate that Witt or Abrams will round out the rest of the top 3 names. I'm too old to be waiting around to see a high schooler make it to the Big Leagues. Not saying that I won't live long enough, but it's just hard to plan on being here, at my age. LOL. Could Stinson climb the rankings, all the way to #3, or is the Draft deep enough to consider going under slot? I really hope that somehow Rutschman falls in our laps. You know me, a middle of the order LH bat (switch hitter) would be so perfect.

Kameron Misner at Mizzou.

Left handed CF with possible 70 grade raw power and enough speed to be at least a 20-20 guy, If everything were to click, you've got a 5-tool, left-handed center-fielder, but as cited above there are questions about if he can stick. Sox have supposedly looked at him.

Again, full disclosure of being a Mizzou alumni and homer.

11 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I feel it is a pretty good draft to draft third as there is no big drop off in the top4. Rutschman probably would be preferable but vaughn, Abrams and witt all seem to be pretty comparable albeit with different risk and upside profiles. I think either one would be fine so you don't have to worry that much about what the teams in front of you do.

This also means it doesn't make much sense to go for a late riser this year.

It does seem like we’re in a great spot.  I’m still hoping somehow Witt goes #1, Vaughn goes #2, and Adley falls to us at #3, but I’ll seriously be happy with any of those three guys (or Abrams).  I will be pissed if Adley & Vaughn are gone and we refuse to go with a HS pick.

17 hours ago, fathom said:

Vaughn not doing much to help the perception that he struggles against top pitching this weekend.  Also, Lodolo has put together two fantastic starts in a row.

Yes, I've noticed that. The first part of Cal's schedule included some schools that don't seem to provide very stiff competition.

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hope everyone realizes that if the Sox end up with Witt he's unlikely to ever play in a Sox uni unless he becomes an uber prospect. 

Why? Hs prospects take longer but the very top hs prospects don't take that long.

Correa took 3 years, harper and trout two years, kershaw 3 years.

23 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Why? Hs prospects take longer but the very top hs prospects don't take that long.

Correa took 3 years, harper and trout two years, kershaw 3 years.

Because he'd still be developing during the (theoretical, at this point) Sox contention window. He'd be more likely to be used as trade bait than any long-term solution. Unless he just explodes in the minors and becomes a top 10 prospect in baseball. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Sox need that wave of prospects in the lower minors regardless if its trade bait down the road or for the future. Sox are deep in the higher levels, not much so the lower. I like Hostetler agreeing with that premise as well. It's essential in all of this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Sox need that wave of prospects in the lower minors regardless if its trade bait down the road or for the future. Sox are deep in the higher levels, not much so the lower. I like Hostetler agreeing with that premise as well. It's essential in all of this. 

I don't disagree at all. I think that this year and next, while the Sox are still picking high is a good time to go heavy HS in the first 2-3 rounds. 

We really have to watch how Vaughn fares against Top 25/top weekend starters.

Not a fan of Abrams from watching his videos, feeling he's more in CF.

Rutschman and Witt, Jr., continue to be the crown jewels.   Hard to imagine the Royals passing up on Adley...especially with Perez out for the year and it being impossible to transition him to 1B/DH.

Feels like they will trade him in 2020/21 and then bring up Rutschman...to be the core of the rebuild and new captain of the team.

11 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Good lord.  That boy can play. 

To be fair it is HS competition. He certainly is talented but tim tebow hit .450 in his HS career...

The average hs pitcher throws like upper 70s with the better guys throwing low to mid 80s.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

22 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Has Hostetler ever taken a HS player with a round 1-3 pick? It seems pretty much a given that the Sox are going with best college player available at #3 this June. 

No he hasn’t, but I heard some speculation we would have taken Jo Adell instead of Burger if available.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic