2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

One thing that's going to be tough with getting a high schooler in 2nd round is AZ has all of those comp picks. Worried we are going to pick a college 1b again.

Arizona is going to be tough to deal with because they will have so much money to spend.  It would be great if the Sox could push a guy like Quinn Priester to the 2nd round but Arizona has four picks before the Sox 2nd round selection.  Even if the Sox are able to shave money off the 1st round pick Zona could grab him with one of those selections and still give him more money. 

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Arizona is going to be tough to deal with because they will have so much money to spend.  It would be great if the Sox could push a guy like Quinn Priester to the 2nd round but Arizona has four picks before the Sox 2nd round selection.  Even if the Sox are able to shave money off the 1st round pick Zona could grab him with one of those selections and still give him more money. 

I kinda hope they fall in love with two top 15 guys and try to get both at 16 and 26 but use up most of the budget for their comp picks.

Pardon my own tweet, but here is video of the filthy moonshot that Vaughn just unleashed. In his previous AB, the pitcher would not even get CLOSE to throwing him a strike. Kept flipping him loopy curveballs out of the zone.

In his next AB, he had 2 guys on base and 1B was not open....and this is what happens...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Pardon my own tweet, but here is video of the filthy moonshot that Vaughn just unleashed. In his previous AB, the pitcher would not even get CLOSE to throwing him a strike. Kept flipping him loopy curveballs out of the zone.

In his next AB, he had 2 guys on base and 1B was not open....and this is what happens...

Lordy.

11 hours ago, bmags said:

I feel like 90% certain sox will draft Tommy Henry and then they will all joke about being michigan alums for weeks.

Getz, Hahn and him are going to be quite chummy I'm sure.

Maybe they can have "Harbaugh Can't Beat tOSU Appreciation Night" at GRF for Ohioan and Eastern Indiana Sox fans.

Poor Vaughn's going to eventually need to borrow some hair from Bryce, Kopech or Wil Myers.  Or hair transplants like Rooney the British footballer.

Edited by caulfield12

38 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Holy moly. This is my guy.

Vaughn due up 3rd this inning. I just hope 1B isn't open when he comes up.

EDIT: 1B was open, but the pitcher decided to peg him in the arm instead. To be fair, Vaughn does lean out pretty far and didn't even think about moving his shoulder out of the way.

2 for 2, 1B, HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Ooof, Vaughn got a cookie 3-1 fastball and he jammed himself a bit. Managed only to fist it to LF for a flyball out. He immediately screamed FUCK and then slapped himself in the shin when he bent over at 1B to take off his shin guard. He knew he could have MURDERED that ball. He is so balanced at the plate and such a strong swing, it reminds me on Josh Donaldson at the plate. Not sure if he's gotten those comps yet, but that's just what came to my mind when I see him batting.

Baseball America's draft list now extends to 300, along with updated rankings. Going to quote some of the text associated with the changes.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-top-mlb-draft-prospects/

At the top of the board, four players seem to have put themselves into a tier among their own, with Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman retaining the No. 1 spot, followed by California first baseman Andrew Vaughn at No. 2 and then high-upside prep shortstops Bobby Witt Jr. and C.J. Abrams checking it at No. 3 and 4, respectively.

It’s also possible that the college hitters in that group have done enough to elevate themselves into 1a and 1b territory, while Witt and Abrams are a tick below, but still in a tier above the players below them.

Unsurprisingly, the three biggest risers on the list are all college hitters, as Nevada-Las Vegas shortstop Bryson Stott, Missouri outfielder Kameron Misner and Arizona State outfielder Hunter Bishop have all hit enough to move themselves into the top of the first round. Stott and Misner were both seen as potential first-round picks prior to the season, but both have elevated themselves from the back end of the first round into the draft’s top 10. Bishop has made the most radical jump, going from No. 119 on our preseason list to No. 13 now thanks to an overhauled offensive approach and a robust set of tools.

Pitching talent in the 2019 draft class is notably down from years past, and there hasn’t yet been a pitcher who has established himself as the top arm in the class, but there are a trio of arms who could continue to impress and make that move in coming weeks.

Georgia Premier Academy (Statesboro, Ga.) righthander Daniel Espino is the de-facto top arm and checks in at No. 10 thanks to the best pure stuff of the class, but he’s currently in the same tier as Texas Christian lefthander Nick Lodolo, who has missed more bats this season, and Seminole (Fla.) HS righthander Matt Allan who’s stuff has been crisp from the get-go.

Two of the more notable falling prospects include Duke lefthander Graeme Stinson and Florida righthander Tyler Dyson. Stinson was the top pitcher in the class on our preseason list before showing a drop in velocity from what he showed in a relief role last summer, while Dyson has been bumped from the Gators’ Friday night role and has struggled to both miss bats and throw strikes.

Updated top 10.

1.) Rutschman

2.) Vaughn

3.) Witt

4.) Abrams

5.) Misner

6.) Stott

7.) Riley Greene

8.) Corbin Carroll

9.) Jung

10.) Espino

Also, here's the Hunter Bishop blurb for those who want to get familiar. He jumped from 119 to 13 overall.

Arizona State OF

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 215 | B-T: L-R 
Commit/Drafted: Padres '16 (24) 
Scouting Report: Bishop was noted for an impressive set of tools coming out of high school, but he made it to campus as scouts were concerned about his hit tool and approach at the plate. He struggled in his first two seasons with the Sun Devils, but significantly refined his approach at the plate in 2019 and cut his strikeout rate substantially through the first month of the season. He has a quick swing with now improved plate coverage and 70-grade raw power. He's an above-average athlete for his size and those who are most optimistic think he has a chance to stick in center field at the next level as an above-average runner with a solid arm, but the impact he's shown offensively as a junior has risen his stock substantially and catupaulted him into the top tier of college hitters in the 2019 class.

Edited by DirtySox

From Kiley's chat today:

Chris
2:44
Is there a chance the White Sox will switch to a HS player this year given Rutschman is off the board at 3?

Kiley McDaniel
2:45
I'm hearing college bats and it's now looking like Rutschman and Vaughn are gone, so then it opens up a lot after them. Stott, Busch, Misner, Bleday, Jung, Wilson are all candidates but probably only the first three are reasonable that high. It'll be tough to pass on Abrams and Witt, so I'd imagine they get discussed as well

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Those secondary college bats would piss me off. Misner is slumping big time and I’m not interested in Stott at all.

I think its going to be Misner. As much as we want to say we are an analytical team now, Hostetler still seems like an old school scouting type of guy and its those types that seem to be all over Misner the most. Add to that their history of projecting better defense than anyone outside the org believes and I'll bet that if Adley and Vaughn are off the board they take Misner and say he is a true 5 tool centerfielder who was #1 on their board.

3 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

I think its going to be Misner. As much as we want to say we are an analytical team now, Hostetler still seems like an old school scouting type of guy and its those types that seem to be all over Misner the most. Add to that their history of projecting better defense than anyone outside the org believes and I'll bet that if Adley and Vaughn are off the board they take Misner and say he is a true 5 tool centerfielder who was #1 on their board.

Wasn't Burger pretty much a trackman pick?

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic