2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

Bleday has been on an absolute tear. Been a pleasure to watch. Can't believe the power has developed to this extent - always had a great balanced left stroke. Hit and oppo bomb yesterday that hit memorial gym - serious power 

So Baseball America extended the draft rankings to 400, and updated the board. Will post the top 15 only since it's premium. Number in parenthesis indicate the previous ranking. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-top-mlb-draft-prospects/

1.) Adley Rustchman

2.) Andrew Vaughn

3.)  Bobby Witt Jr.

4.) CJ Abrams

5.) Riley Greene

6.) Corbin Carroll (8)

7.) Nick Lodolo (11)

8.) Hunter Bishop (13)

9.) Bryson Stott (5)

10.) JJ Bleday (21)

11.) Matthew Allan (12)

12.) Josh Jung (9)

13.) Brennan Malone (16)

14.) Zack Thompson

15.) Jackson Rutledge (20)

The top four players on the list are unchanged, with Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman, California first baseman Andrew Vaughn, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage High shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. and Blessed Trinity (Roswell, Ga.) High shortstop C.J. Abrams still representing the elite tier of the class.

Behind them is where the draft class will get interesting, as there’s less consensus on an obvious fifth player to add to that group (like the 2017 draft class), though a second tier of seven players is beginning to separate themselves and includes four college players and three high schoolers.

Texas Christian lefthander Nick Lodolo leads the college group and is the top overall pitcher on the board, while Arizona State outfielder Hunter Bishop, Nevada-Las Vegas shortstop Bryson Stott and Vanderbilt outfielder J.J. Bleday rounds out this group of college players. Bleday is the highest-riser in this tier since our last update, as teams will love his impressive track record of hitting in the SEC, coupled with increased power this season.

On the high school side are familiar names as well, with the two best hit tools on the prep side in Hagerty (Oviedo, Fla.) High outfielder Riley Greene and Lakeside (Seattle) High outfielder Corbin Carroll, along with the top high school pitcher on the board in Seminole (Sanford, Fla.) High righthander Matthew Allan.

Edited by DirtySox

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

So Baseball America extended the draft rankings to 400, and updated the board. Will post the top 15 only since it's premium. Number in parenthesis indicate the previous ranking. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-top-mlb-draft-prospects/

1.) Adley Rustchman

2.) Andrew Vaughn

3.)  Bobby Witt Jr.

4.) CJ Abrams

5.) Riley Greene

6.) Corbin Carroll (8)

7.) Nick Lodolo (11)

8.) Hunter Bishop (13)

9.) Bryson Stott (5)

10.) JJ Bleday (21)

11.) Matthew Allan (12)

12.) Josh Jung (9)

13.) Brennan Malone (16)

14.) Zack Thompson

15.) Jackson Rutledge (20)

Wow! Thanks a bunch for posting this. I love tracking the draft prospects. Good stuff.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox can get Lodolo underslot what would everyone think about that? Like save $1-1.5 M in pool money underslot. 

I would hate it, but it wouldn't really surprise me too much if Rustchman and Vaughn go 1-2.

41 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox can get Lodolo underslot what would everyone think about that? Like save $1-1.5 M in pool money underslot. 

I hope not. Would certainly be a Sox thing to do though if/when Rustchman and Vaughn get picked. Hoping the Royals are idiots and Vaughn is there though.

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I hope not. Would certainly be a Sox thing to do though if/when Rustchman and Vaughn get picked. Hoping the Royals are idiots and Vaughn is there though.

I'm throwing it out there because I really don't think they're going to pick Witt or Abrams if Rutschman and Vaughn go 1-2. 

I wonder if Kody Hoese is playing himself out of consideration at #45 for the Sox. He is a local kid from Griffith, IN who is now at Tulane and leading the country in HRs. He's up to 19 dingers, .409 AVG, and only 17 K's to go along with 25 BB and 13 2Bs. My cousin knows him from HS and told me about him a few weeks ago, but I also heard Jim Callis mention him on the latest MLB Pipeline podcast as someone who he feels is a RD 1 or RD 2 type guy, but he thinks even saying RD2 might be underselling him giving his soaring stock. And I guess it's not just power, he's a great overall hitter with a great approach and swing and I think Callis said he should be able to stick at 3B.

Comparing his numbers to Hunter Bishop, for reference, he is hitting .409 to Bishop's .394, has 2 more HR, and is striking out nearly half as often (29 K for Bishop, 17 for Hoese).

Could be the 2nd best 3B in the country. Wonder if he will be there at #45, but he might be a name to watch.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I wonder if Kody Hoese is playing himself out of consideration at #45 for the Sox. He is a local kid from Griffith, IN who is now at Tulane and leading the country in HRs. He's up to 19 dingers, .409 AVG, and only 17 K's to go along with 25 BB and 13 2Bs. My cousin knows him from HS and told me about him a few weeks ago, but I also heard Jim Callis mention him on the latest MLB Pipeline podcast as someone who he feels is a RD 1 or RD 2 type guy, but he thinks even saying RD2 might be underselling him giving his soaring stock. And I guess it's not just power, he's a great overall hitter with a great approach and swing and I think Callis said he should be able to stick at 3B.

Comparing his numbers to Hunter Bishop, for reference, he is hitting .409 to Bishop's .394, has 2 more HR, and is striking out nearly half as often (29 K for Bishop, 17 for Hoese).

Could be the 2nd best 3B in the country. Wonder if he will be there at #45, but he might be a name to watch.

Great info!  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Great info!  Thanks!

I can't find my post about it a while ago, but Andrew Vaughn in 2018 was the first college player since Anthony Rendon in 2010 to have more HR than strikeouts in a season.

Vaughn won't even come close to that this year as he only has 10 HR (2 in the last 30 days) and 23 K's. So far, Kody Hoese is the only college player who is doing it so far this season with 19 HR to 17 K. Jim Callis mentioned he might even end up having his DOUBLES pass that K number, as he has 13 2B right now.

You can follow that compelling race, here - http://www.thebaseballcube.com/college/stats.asp?Q=Y&Report=Batting&Y1=2019&Y2=2019&minPA=&Player=&Sort=HR&Conf=&School=&Bat=&Conditions=

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Kody Hoese is having a terrific season. One caveat, in comparing his performance to the other collegiate stars, is that he is playing in the AAC. I don't know how much that matters, but it is certainly a consideration. It would be more assuring if he were putting up those numbers in the SEC, or the PAC 12.

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

What would that do?  I don’t see going overslot later in the draft being a viable strategy in the later rounds when the Diamondbacks have seven top 80 selections.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I don't think this is the year to try to get cute with undersloting guys because so many teams have multiple picks.  The D'Backs pick 4 times, the Rays pick 3 times and the Braves, Dodgers, Rangers, Twins, Pirates, Marlins and Yankees all pick twice before the Sox 2nd round selection.  They should pick the guy they have highest on the board regardless of age, position, timeline or slot value.  Get the damn best player available.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Good morning. See below for a BA scouting report and a blurb from the new top 400, He jumped from #198 to #72.

Outside of the extreme top end of the list, the biggest riser among the top 100 is Tulane third baseman Kody Hoese, who leads the country with 19 home runs through games played on April 14.

Kody Hoese

Tulane 3B

Notes:

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 200 | B-T: R-R 
Commit/Drafted: Royals '18 (35) 
Scouting Report: A 6-foot-4, 200-pound third baseman with Tulane, Hoese has broken out in his junior season in the American Athletic Conference. After hitting just five home runs over his freshman and sophomore seasons, Hoese has managed 19 homers as of April 16—more than any hitter in the country. In that 36-game stretch, Hoese has managed a .409/.500/.879 slash line with more walks (24) than strikeouts (16). However, teams will be plenty skeptical of Hoese on draft day considering his track record prior to this season and the fact that he’s a fringe-average defender at third base. Most of his value is tied to his bat, and with a pair of mediocre wood-bat summer performances, a team taking him on Day 1 or early Day 2 will have to be confident his 2019 season is more indicative of his talent.

Edited by DirtySox

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Kody Hoese is having a terrific season. One caveat, in comparing his performance to the other collegiate stars, is that he is playing in the AAC. I don't know how much that matters, but it is certainly a consideration. It would be more assuring if he were putting up those numbers in the SEC, or the PAC 12.

I don't think that matters much at all, especially for baseball.  There are plenty of stars that went to smaller schools in smaller conferences.  For example, a school like Stetson has had Kluber and deGrom.  Not that it doesn't matter at all, but it seems to matter far less for baseball than, say basketball.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I want a high school SS or pitcher in round 2. If we go college outfielder/1b i'll croak.

Hahah, cmon!  Even if they have a decent K/BB rate?  Even if they had him rated as a 1st round talent?

Though expecting them to take HS talent at this point is just an effort in futility.  They'll take a guy in the 6th, that they'll tell us they loved, and that will be it.  

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Hahah, cmon!  Even if they have a decent K/BB rate?  Even if they had him rated as a 1st round talent?

Though expecting them to take HS talent at this point is just an effort in futility.  They'll take a guy in the 6th, that they'll tell us they loved, and that will be it.  

It is, but the system needs some more athleticism which typically comes from high school. 

I can understand the resistance to selecting an outfielder, with the #3 pick, in the Draft. However, that log jam of organizational outfielders is looking a little thinner, with the slow starts of Adolfo and Rutherford, at Birmingham. Given the realization that the Sox will likely not select a high schooler, you know that I'm intrigued with Bishops's LH bat. He has good speed and could be a key piece of the rebuild, in a couple of years. I still think that Eloy will end up at first base. The 2021 outfield could look like Bishop in LF, Robert in CF and Adolfo/Basabe/Rutherford/Gonzalez or Walker in RF. That would be a great defensive outfield, with big offensive potential. The only one, out of that list of RF candidates, who hasn't played CF is Adolfo, but he has the best RF arm, of the bunch. One of them is bound to develop into a useful piece, or we have really done a lousy job of scouting.

Edited by Lillian

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic