2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

This is a bad year to take a lesser talent just to try to float a guy. There is a very clear top 3 players so we shouldn't skip on that third guy to risk floating a guy when the Diamondbacks have more pool money and 4 picks between our picks. On top of the risk that floating him doesn't work, you are also doing it for a high school righty, basically the most risky demographic in the draft. So we would just be compounding risk upon risk if that is our plan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's a pipe dream. With so many teams with multiple picks there is no chance they get Priester to 45.

Agreed, I wouldn't risk anything like that with the amount of picks and pool size of the dbacks in addition to what the O's and KC will likely do. I think for the Sox its Rutschman, Vaughn & Bleday in that order

9 hours ago, justBLAZE said:

Anyone hear WSIDave on the podcast say, they will go underslot with the kid from ASU and then try to get local kid Quin Priester? 

Was this on the recent podcast?  Any idea at what point?  Thanks

11 hours ago, bmags said:

It would save them 2 million which they could bundle up to get to 3.6 million with their second round pick which is about top 20 money to get Priester. But keep in mind there are teams like the diamondbacks with multiple picks to bundle and pitching is VERY thin.

I was coming here to say the exact same thing. With the Dbacks having about every 5th pick in the draft, it's going to be really hard for teams to roll the dice on that strategy, especially the Sox who have 42 picks between selections.

13 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I'm really curious as to where Shea Langeliers will end up going with the hamate injury and all. He was a solid top half of the first round guy at the start of the season. I think he's come on recently, so maybe it won't change that much. Probably wishful thinking he would get to pick 45.

He was more than that, he was a top 4 pick in a lot of the mocks I saw over the winter.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Was this on the recent podcast?  Any idea at what point?  Thanks

To clarify what Blaze posted, WSDave said "I think they are going to draft Hunter Bishop out of ASU...I think they are going to way under slot and then draft this pitcher who is lighting the world on fire from Crystal Lake Central High School". Said maybe they will offer $5M to Bishop and then throw the rest at Priester. 

Slot value at #3 overall is $7,221,200. Slot at #45 is $1,650,200. Assuming they do $5M for Bishop and just slide that money over, that's about $3.9M for Priester, which is #15 overall slot value.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Or the Angels could just take him at #15 for slot.  It's really hard to push a guy that far down the board.  

BTW- Priester attends Cary Grove HS. 😉

BA's mock today has him 17 to the Nats.

New Baseball America mock today. Paywall. Here's the top 10.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

1.) BAL - Rutschman

2.) KC - Witt

3.) CWS - Vaughn

Vaughn has cooled off a bit since the start of the season—when we began to wonder if he could become the highest-drafted college first baseman ever—but he’s still solidly in the top three picks in the draft and most sources believe he’ll come off the board third at this point. As the most advanced hitter in the class, Vaughn could be one of the fastest-moving players in the 2019 class, which could line up well with Chicago’s No. 6 ranked farm system and young major league core.

4.) MIA - Greene

5.) DET - Bleday

6.) SD - Abrams

7.) CIN - Lodolo

8.) TEX - Bishop

9.) ATL - Stott

10.) SFG - Manoah

The mere ranking of #3 vs. Bleday and Bishop, at #5 and #8, respectively doesn't convince me that Vaughn is an automatic choice.  However, If scouts really feel that Vaughn is in a tier above the rest of the college bats, I'm onboard. It does indeed appear that they feel Vaughn is in a tier above the others.

Edited by Lillian

48 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The mere ranking of #3 vs. Bleday and Bishop, at #5 and #8, respectively doesn't convince me that Vaughn is an automatic choice.  However, If scouts really feel that Vaughn is in a tier above the rest of the college bats, I'm onboard. It does indeed appear that they feel Vaughn is in a tier above the others.

I think Vaughn's 60 hit and 60 power puts him over the top. I could see 70 power eventually too especially in the Sox ballpark with these baseballs. He reminds me so much of Donaldson as a hitter 

• Like 1

A month out from the draft I've put myself firmly in the camp the sox will draft the best college bat available to them. So with the following two picks I think this fits their MO provided these players are available. 

LHP Erik Miller @ 45 (stanford) 
RHP Ryne Nelson @ 81 (oregon) 

I would be elated if they could draft the ducks battery.

21 minutes ago, beautox said:

A month out from the draft I've put myself firmly in the camp the sox will draft the best college bat available to them. So with the following two picks I think this fits their MO provided these players are available. 

LHP Erik Miller @ 45 (stanford) 
RHP Ryne Nelson @ 81 (oregon) 

I would be elated if they could draft the ducks battery.

I'm on the Nelson bandwagon. I think he might go earlier than 81 though.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm on the Nelson bandwagon. I think he might go earlier than 81 though.

I could see it happening based on the state of this draft class.

Anyone with a good scouting report on Vaughn’s defense? I’ve read everything from serviceable to fantastic. If they’re going to draft an undersized first baseman, it would be nice if he was slick with the glove Given that the left side of the White Sox  infield isn’t the most accurate throwing the ball to first base.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic