Jump to content
southsider2k5

2019 MLB draft thread

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Rutschman and Vaughn go 1-2, and we take Abrams, how would you guys react? Happy we didn’t settle for a college bat? Upset we chose Abrams over Witt? Annoyed because he’s a guy KW supposedly likes?

If Rutschman and Vaughn go 1-2 they are taking Jr.  The only way they would take Abrams is if Rutschman and Jr go 1-2.  I still doubt it will happen but I would absolutely love it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Rutschman and Vaughn go 1-2, and we take Abrams, how would you guys react? Happy we didn’t settle for a college bat? Upset we chose Abrams over Witt? Annoyed because he’s a guy KW supposedly likes?

I would be annoyed as hell as it would indicate to me that KW still has the final say on all top draft picks. Witt has been playing short over Abrams at all the major tournaments. 

Also, last year's draft was probably the time to select a high school player with huge upside over punch and judy Madrigal. Jared Kelenic was playing just up 1-94 from Chicago. He was an athletic outfielder. Jordan Groshans and Nolan Gorman were there for the taking as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Rutschman and Vaughn go 1-2, and we take Abrams, how would you guys react? Happy we didn’t settle for a college bat? Upset we chose Abrams over Witt? Annoyed because he’s a guy KW supposedly likes?

Mixed feelings because I think Witt is the superior prospect but I’d also be glad they didn’t reach on the next best college bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

I'm not opposed to the Sox drafting a high school kid. I'm extremely fearful of drafting any high school kid that KW has fallen in love with. We've already seen that movie and the ending sucked. 

Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me thrice, wont get fooled again. 

But he's a consensus top 5 pick.  It's not like he's a reach.  Those 1B KW drafted at the beginning of the decade (I forget their names) were reaches.  Hawkins wasn't a reach - just didn't work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

But he's a consensus top 5 pick.  It's not like he's a reach.  Those 1B KW drafted at the beginning of the decade (I forget their names) were reaches.  Hawkins wasn't a reach - just didn't work out.

Hawkins was a late-riser, those are always dangerous.  Abrams has been in the top 5 of this draft for at least a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Sox hit on Abrams, they could have a superstar on their hands. His ceiling as an up the middle player (SS/CF) is as high as anyone in the class. 

It all comes down to the Sox player development staff. While they certainly have taken a step back with pitchers, I would say they’re better with hitters than in years past but they also have been drafting better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

If the Sox hit on Abrams, they could have a superstar on their hands. His ceiling as an up the middle player (SS/CF) is as high as anyone in the class. 

It all comes down to the Sox player development staff. While they certainly have taken a step back with pitchers, I would say they’re better with hitters than in years past but they also have been drafting better. 

Wait, you think they’ve developed their position players the last few years?  With all due respect, it’s been a total mess the last few seasons.  Their drafts have been abysmal for various reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

If the Sox hit on Abrams, they could have a superstar on their hands. His ceiling as an up the middle player (SS/CF) is as high as anyone in the class. 

It all comes down to the Sox player development staff. While they certainly have taken a step back with pitchers, I would say they’re better with hitters than in years past but they also have been drafting better. 

I think Abrams, if he were to develop properly, could be a Trea Turner type player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fathom said:

Wait, you think they’ve developed their position players the last few years?  With all due respect, it’s been a total mess the last few seasons.  Their drafts have been abysmal for various reasons.

Yes, I think they’re doing better at the position player front then they have been previously. Not a high bar though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Yes, I think they’re doing better at the position player front then they have been previously. Not a high bar though. 

Examples of players this current regime has drafted and developed?  They’ve spent a good amount of resources on offensive players early in the draft the last few years with very bad results to this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Yes, I think they’re doing better at the position player front then they have been previously. Not a high bar though. 

Have you checked our minor league box scores this season?  Outside of Robert, Collins, & Walker it has been ugly AF on the positional side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Rutschman and Vaughn go 1-2, and we take Abrams, how would you guys react? Happy we didn’t settle for a college bat? Upset we chose Abrams over Witt? Annoyed because he’s a guy KW supposedly likes?

I'd be fine with it. I like premium athletes though. CJ Abrams is a stud. They could probably save a bit of money too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is we don't need to be drafting middle infield or 1B/DH types.  Anything else I'm good on.  We should be set on both over the next 5/6 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the Fangraph boyz got their heads out of their butts.  They finally moved Jr to 2 and Bleday to 3.  They still have Vaughn ahead of Abrams but baby steps for these two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

My opinion is we don't need to be drafting middle infield or 1B/DH types.  Anything else I'm good on.  We should be set on both over the next 5/6 years.

1B/DH guys yes, I get that, but you ALWAYS draft middle infield, especially SS.  They are usually the best athletes and if he doesn't stick there, can always move him around the field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It looks like the Fangraph boyz got their heads out of their butts.  They finally moved Jr to 2 and Bleday to 3.  They still have Vaughn ahead of Abrams but baby steps for these two.  

That is nice to see. You know me and left handed bats. LOL. I've been hoping that either Bishop, or Bleday would overtake Vaughn. Now the question is, who does the Hostetler and the staff prefer?

Edited by Lillian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch Will Wilson of NC State. He’s a baller. Not a top 5 guy, but I wish we could get him in round 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Will Wilson.  He's going to have to sacrifice some power and shorten his swing a little to make more consistent contact but he should be a solid up the middle player. 

 

The guy I really like is the catcher.  He's going to be a dude next year.  

 

I'm surprised Alec Barger is geting knocked around as much as he is.  He's got good stuff.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I like Will Wilson.  He's going to have to sacrifice some power and shorten his swing a little to make more consistent contact but he should be a solid up the middle player. 

 

The guy I really like is the catcher.  He's going to be a dude next year.  

 

I'm surprised Alec Barger is geting knocked around as much as he is.  He's got good stuff.  

Yes, Bailey is pretty good. Haven’t been overly impressed by Barger tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sockin said:

FanGraphs has the Sox picking Abrams now.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0/

3. White Sox – C.J. Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity HS (GA)
Vaughn seemed tailor made for the White Sox here given how talented he is, and Chicago’s recent preference for college bats with high picks, but Abrams seems to be in the lead now. Sources have told us that heavy-hitting White Sox personnel have seen Abrams a combined five or six times recently. Since Abrams would likely slide to the sixth pick if he doesn’t go third, there may be some pool money saved here (about $1.5 million based on the gap in slot between this pick and the sixth). That money would go a long ways toward tempting another mid-first round, high-upside prep talent to the White Sox next pick at 45, as the savings plus their overage would be a late-teen’s value slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

3. White Sox – C.J. Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity HS (GA)
Vaughn seemed tailor made for the White Sox here given how talented he is, and Chicago’s recent preference for college bats with high picks, but Abrams seems to be in the lead now. Sources have told us that heavy-hitting White Sox personnel have seen Abrams a combined five or six times recently. Since Abrams would likely slide to the sixth pick if he doesn’t go third, there may be some pool money saved here (about $1.5 million based on the gap in slot between this pick and the sixth). That money would go a long ways toward tempting another mid-first round, high-upside prep talent to the White Sox next pick at 45, as the savings plus their overage would be a late-teen’s value slot.

For some reason I don't see us taking two high school guys with our first two picks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still believe Abrams is only an option of Vaughn has already been selected.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×