Jump to content
southsider2k5

2019 MLB draft thread

Recommended Posts

Comes with this caveat on 1.1 though.

Quote

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it: This isn't a lock. Rutschman is the consensus No. 1 prospect in the class, but I have heard from multiple sources that the Orioles will at least explore other options, notably Andrew Vaughn, to strike the best possible deal, since they pick again at 42, 71 and 79.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading astroball...

Elias being high enough on Vaughn makes me reconsider a bit. The whole RH hitting short 1b does seem like the kind of stuff they tried to avoid being swayed by in discussing drafting bregman/correa.

There really isn't a player at 3 I'd be angered by, though I really would not like Bishop, Stott or Lodolo. I really like the prep players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Reading astroball...

Elias being high enough on Vaughn makes me reconsider a bit. The whole RH hitting short 1b does seem like the kind of stuff they tried to avoid being swayed by in discussing drafting bregman/correa.

There really isn't a player at 3 I'd be angered by, though I really would not like Bishop, Stott or Lodolo. I really like the prep players.

I know this has come up before, but what if it goes Vaughn, Rutschman? Do they go Witt over Abrams? I could also see a scenario where they are anti-prep still and Bleday is the pick. (Who I like, but would hate if Witt is still on the board.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My top ten, based on no scouting beyond stat sheets and scouting reports for player types I like:

1. Rutschman

2. Witt

3. Abrams

4. Vaughn

5. Greene

6. Bleday

7. Carroll

8. Lodolo

9. Manoah

10. Baty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DirtySox said:

I know this has come up before, but what if it goes Vaughn, Rutschman? Do they go Witt over Abrams? I could also see a scenario where they are anti-prep still and Bleday is the pick. (Who I like, but would hate if Witt is still on the board.)

With nothing but a hunch, I think they draft Witt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bmags said:

With nothing but a hunch, I think they draft Witt.

I think you're correct. I think the Royals take Witt Jr. over Rutschman though. 

At this point I think these are the most realistic possibilities: 

1. Rutschman 2. Witt Jr. 3. Abrams/Vaughn

1. Witt Jr. 2. Rutschman 3. Abrams/Vaughn

1. Vaughn 2. Witt Jr. 3. Rutschman 

For any Sox fans hoping for Adley Rutschman, the best case scenario for that happening would be Andrew Vaughn going #1 overall. I wonder what type of discount Vaughn would be willing to take. I personally think he falls to #5 otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think you're correct. I think the Royals take Witt Jr. over Rutschman though. 

At this point I think these are the most realistic possibilities: 

1. Rutschman 2. Witt Jr. 3. Abrams/Vaughn

1. Witt Jr. 2. Rutschman 3. Abrams/Vaughn

1. Vaughn 2. Witt Jr. 3. Rutschman 

For any Sox fans hoping for Adley Rutschman, the best case scenario for that happening would be Andrew Vaughn going #1 overall. I wonder what type of discount Vaughn would be willing to take. I personally think he falls to #5 otherwise. 

Jimmy - any intel on Don Kessinger's grandson. SS for Southern Miss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bmags said:

There really isn't a player at 3 I'd be angered by, though I really would not like Bishop, Stott or Lodolo. I really like the prep players.

Agreed,  Unlike last year there isn't a player they can draft that would make my blood boil.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love if somehow we can float Espino to our second pick (45?). Kids got serious potential but doesn't seem to be getting buzz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Would love if somehow we can float Espino to our second pick (45?). Kids got serious potential but doesn't seem to be getting buzz.

 

He's not real physical, maxxx effort del, long arm action, below avg command.  He's got crazy arm strength but not much else to go with it.  He'll be a lottery ticket for someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

doesn't mean much, but here is BA and Fangraphs #45 prospect:

BA:

Nasim Nunez (has been mocked in first round at points):

Quote

Scouting Report: Nunez is among the best defensive shortstops in the 2019 class. As an undersized middle infielder at just 5-foot-9 and 160 pounds, there are some questions about the amount of offensive impact Nunez might possess, but there is no doubting his defensive skill and toolset. The Clemson commit projects as a plus defensive shortstop because of his plus arm and plus running ability, and he has elite, quick-twitch hands and a knack for throwing accurately from tough arm angles and while on the run. Watching Nunez play defense can be mesmerizing—both in pregame warmups and during the game—because of his fluid actions, immense athleticism and overall joy for the game. As an undersized, switch-hitting, high-aptitude defender, Nunez will draw comparisons to 2018 prep shortstop Xavier Edwards, who signed with the Padres after being drafted with the No. 38 overall pick last June. Edwards has a superior hit tool and better run times, however, while Nunez has more arm strength. Nunez has a solid swing from both sides of the plate, though it’s more natural from the right side. He’s faced good competition in Georgia’s 7A class, but he has well below-average raw power. Teams have been more willing to take undersized players with standout defensive ability high in the draft in recent years, and Nunez fits that to description well, but he’s also a player who could raise his stock significantly in three years if he goes to school and shows he can hit in the ACC. As it stands now, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him drafted in the supplemental first or second round.

Fangraphs:

Seth Johnson, Campbell - the converted pitcher from shortstop showing tremendous stuff

I'd like either! Though Nunez and Abrams would be a bit overkill, but less annoying overkill than drafting Jake Burger and Gavin Sheets.

My 2nd round wish list (which obviously is much harder to narrow down so no idea if any will be available):

1. JJ Goss ($$$)

2. Blake Walston ($$)

2. Gunnar Henderson ($$$)

3. Kendall Williams (and then send for Gio's hs pitching coach) ($$$)

4. Brooks Lee ($$)

5. Jimmy Lewis ($)

6. Sammy Siani ($)

7. Ethan Small (would love to get him in 3rd somehow) ($)

8. Greg Jones (depending on draft) ($)

9. Isaiah Campbell ($)

10. Bryce Osmond ($$?)

I doubt the top 4 are available.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case some of y'all are like me and can be oblivious to impending dates/times, the draft is on Monday. Hype.

Also, I believe we might be getting a Fangraphs mock today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think you're correct. I think the Royals take Witt Jr. over Rutschman though. 

At this point I think these are the most realistic possibilities: 

1. Rutschman 2. Witt Jr. 3. Abrams/Vaughn

1. Witt Jr. 2. Rutschman 3. Abrams/Vaughn

1. Vaughn 2. Witt Jr. 3. Rutschman 

For any Sox fans hoping for Adley Rutschman, the best case scenario for that happening would be Andrew Vaughn going #1 overall. I wonder what type of discount Vaughn would be willing to take. I personally think he falls to #5 otherwise. 

I'm curious about potential round 2 targets, and what kind (if any) savings we might see if with an Abrams or even a Vaughn selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I'm curious about potential round 2 targets, and what kind (if any) savings we might see if with an Abrams or even a Vaughn selection.

I don't expect much if any savings from Vaughn. Sox seem to throw money at college draftees with little leverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want them to get the best player at 1-3.  I don't care about slot value, position or timeline. Don't overthink it though that shouldn't be an issue with these ass clowns.   Just draft a fucking stud.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bleacher Report just posted their Mock Draft, and have the Sox taking Bleday:

3. Chicago White Sox: OF JJ Bleday, Vanderbilt

Bleday went 8-for-16 with two doubles and a home run in four games in the SEC tournament to help lead Vanderbilt to a conference tournament title. That strong showing in front of a sea of scouts has pushed him into the conversation here at No. 3 after it had previously looked like a two-man race between Georgia prep star CJ Abrams and Cal slugger Andrew Vaughn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If sox let strong play in a late season tournament sway them then god help us. But I'm sure that's just a young writer trying to keep it interesting.

Im going to put a lock on Nick Bennett, LHP, Louisville to the White Sox, let's say round 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×