Shields attracting trade interest

southsider2k5

Good. No need to have him on our team. I'll give him credit for not tanking and trying to earn his salary. I can't imagine we get much for him considering it'll be all salary relief. Maybe one young arm or two very very fringe prospects.

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Good. No need to have him on our team. I'll give him credit for not tanking and trying to earn his salary. I can't imagine we get much for him considering it'll be all salary relief. Maybe one young arm or two very very fringe prospects.

He’s trying hard & he’s a veteran. I’m surprised you want him gone. More vets!!!1!

2 hours ago, beautox said:

I think he winds up with the brewers for someone like Kodi Medeiros with the Sox picking up his remaining salary

Seems like a realistic middling prospect return. I was thinking of something similar to the Melky trade, so yeah, Medeiros would be close enough.

I wonder if we could steal RHP Caden Lemons from them if we tossed in most or all of Shield's contract too. He's 6'6 lanky kid that was drafted 46th overall last year out of HS. Touched 98 in HS, sits 93-95. Pre-season 16th best prospect in their system. 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Brewers seem like a good candidate and the speculation in this thread makes some sense. Colorado is another team that makes some sense, their pitching is very meh at this point. Rockies have some young guys I really like a lot....McMahon, Hilliard, Tapia, Hampsen, etc....though no chance Shields brings in those guys, other than Hilliard perhaps. I'd absolutely take a flier on Hilliard, a bit older in AA, but loaded with tools. 

Shields has been very impressive. He is a real "pitcher," relying on command, movement and changing speeds. That new arm slot was a huge discovery for him. As disgusted and disappointed, as I was with the trade that brought him to the Sox, I have come to appreciate what he has achieved. I wish more guys would try to experiment with such innovative approaches. Imagine how well a guy, with a 95 mph fastball, could pitch, if he had the rest of Shields' current arsenal. Maybe Giolito should adopt something similar, as his heater has become very pedestrian. If James can impart some of his knowledge and skill, to his young team mates, he will have earned his salary.

As for his future with the Sox, I wouldn't be upset if they can get someone worthwhile, for him. Otherwise, he may have value, both as a mentor, as well as an innings eater. In any case, I would consider resigning him, for another year. If he is not traded, I'd like to see the Sox pick up that $16 million option. It would really only be $14 Million, as the buy out is $2 Million, which is a sunk cost, if they elect not to pick up the option. If next year, they could feature Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito and Shields, they could be competitive, while affording the rest of the young arms time to develop in the Minors.

Edited by Lillian

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Shields has been very impressive. He is a real "pitcher," relying on command, movement and changing speeds. That new arm slot was a huge discovery for him. As disgusted and disappointed, as I was with the trade that brought him to the Sox, I have come to appreciate what he has achieved. I wish more guys would try to experiment with such innovative approaches. Imagine how well a guy, with a 95 mph fastball, could pitch, if he had the rest of Shields' current arsenal. Maybe Giolito should adopt something similar, as his heater has become very pedestrian. If James can impart some of his knowledge and skill, to his young team mates, he will have earned his salary.

As for his future with the Sox, I wouldn't be upset if they can get someone worthwhile, for him. Otherwise, he may have value, both as a mentor, as well as an innings eater. In any case, I would consider resigning him, for another year. If he is not traded, I'd like to see the Sox pick up that $16 million option. It would really only be $14 Million, as the buy out is $2 Million, which is a sunk cost, if they elect not to pick up the option. If next year, they could feature Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito and Shields, they could be competitive, while affording the rest of the young arms time to develop in the Minors.

Under no circumstance should we pick up a $16M option for Shields.  That would be absolute insanity.  While he hasn’t been terrible this year, he’s still not good and could easily be replaced with a less costly and/or better option.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

You know no one on the team is trying to lose, right Greg? The front office has just decided that they're okay with results not being there this year, so players who normally wouldn't get a chance are getting a chance.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Trade him for a bag of balls and put Stephens in the rotation.

Yup, I really hope the front office doesn’t try to overplay its hand here.  Get a Ti’Quan Forbes caliber prospect and end this regretful chapter of White Sox baeball.  The sooner the better as his innings are valuable and would be better served to Stephens, Covey, etc.

If you can get anything for him you do it immediately just in case he gets figured out. 

Eat the money, maximize the return and do it. I mean at this point they only owe somewhere around $6.5 million on him.  Even if the return is a bag of balls, just do it.

It is easy to understand the "Shields hate". He was absolutely terrible, trying to pitch the way he had always pitched, during his successful years, when he had a legitimate fastball. However, watching him pitch this season, he is not the same guy. He and Lopez have been our most consistent starters, and it is not by luck. His new approach is effective at getting Big League hitters out. How much he would be worth, is a question that can be argued. However, to say that he is worthless, and to be so convinced that he should be jettisoned, as a mere salary dump, is not a very thoughtful conclusion.

I wish more pitchers pitched with his kind of finesse and cunning. Did you notice that Soria was throwing a few similar pitches, in his Friday night's relief appearance? He would do well to try to emulate Shields' approach, as he too has lost his heater, at this stage in his career. Again, even guys can throw a legitimate fastball, could benefit from such innovations. Trying to simply blow everyone away with 95 + mph fastballs, doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. There are too many guys throwing that hard and hitters appear to have adjusted to those speeds. 

Edited by Lillian

28 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

But who will be the new Tank Commander?

The entire starting OF yesterday, Tilson, Engle, Trayce. Matt Skole hit cleanup. I’ll give Hahn credit this is no half hearted tank effort and if your going to do something may as well go all in on it.