James Shields comment...

Lip Man 1

"Frankly I don't really care about the rebuild right now. I care about winning. They keep talking about rebuild and I'm trying to win ballgames right now, period. I don't like losing. We are losing ballgames right now." - James Shields.

I didn't see this posted but it brings up one of the main questions moving forward into the immediate future ,starting this off season for the organization / front office. Can they convince free agents, especially the good ones, to come to the Sox assuming the money offer is about the same among teams vying for their services?

We'll find out soon enough since not all of the prospects are going to make it. The law of averages just about guarantees that and there will be holes the Sox are going to have to fill from the outside. 

It will be a test of the front office's ability to sell the rebuild and that progress will be coming soon.

• Thanks 1

Some part of me feels like that comment was said for motivation for other players and to show other teams considering trading him that he is still competitive and wants to win. 

As for selling the rebuild, I really don't see it happening this off season. I just feel like the big guys are going to go to the big teams that are already competitive. I think what is more likely to happen is that we trade for a better player that becomes the big addition that shows other guys we are serious for next off season and not this current one. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If by selling the rebuild you mean, offering the most money, yes, the White Sox will sell the rebuild. 

Then the fascinating question will be who if any will take it. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If by selling the rebuild you mean, offering the most money, yes, the White Sox will sell the rebuild. 

All we can do is post this in every single thread and maybe someday people will read and understand it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Yanks, BoSox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Angels will have a ton of money spend and much better situations than us. We are not winning any battles against these teams for the quality free agents. We will not outbid any of them because at least one team will overpay for each quality free agent. We may be able to get the sloppy thirds at this moment. Next year will be more reasonable for us. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Yanks, BoSox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Angels will have a ton of money spend and much better situations than us. We are not winning any battles against these teams for the quality free agents. We will not outbid any of them because at least one team will overpay for each quality free agent. We may be able to get the sloppy thirds at this moment. Next year will be more reasonable for us. 

I think you are probably right in your guess but we'll see. JR has surprised folks before (Albert Belle) so you can never say with 100% certainty about what may happen. I've said before that I don't expect the Sox to land any of the "Superstar", "Game Changers" this off season. I also would be surprised if they offered any of them far and away the most money, but again we'll see, they could surprise everyone.

I think they'll be attractive to guys to help upgrade the bullpen and the depth making them better in 2019...at least I sure hope so. 

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Lets abandon the rebuild because James Shields wants to win!

geezus.  It's more about Shields has toed the company line as best as he can the past few years...especially this year with mentoring a lot of the younger guys.  Granted he hasn't really earned his pay check...but the Sox weren't the ones that gave it to him...they merely traded for it.  I think his point is...I've done all I can here...I really serve no purpose here anymore and tired of being a baby sitter.  Him saying "right now" is his point....it's his push to get the eff outta Chicago.  Can't blame him.  He's thrown very well this year.  I hope the Sox can accomodate his wishes and get a little something in return.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"Frankly I don't really care about the rebuild right now. I care about winning. They keep talking about rebuild and I'm trying to win ballgames right now, period. I don't like losing. We are losing ballgames right now." - James Shields.

I didn't see this posted but it brings up one of the main questions moving forward into the immediate future ,starting this off season for the organization / front office. Can they convince free agents, especially the good ones, to come to the Sox assuming the money offer is about the same among teams vying for their services?

We'll find out soon enough since not all of the prospects are going to make it. The law of averages just about guarantees that and there will be holes the Sox are going to have to fill from the outside. 

It will be a test of the front office's ability to sell the rebuild and that progress will be coming soon.

Damn, I am gonna have to stop hating on James Shields. Love his comment. Thanks, James, for trying.

1 hour ago, Wanne said:

geezus.  It's more about Shields has toed the company line as best as he can the past few years...especially this year with mentoring a lot of the younger guys.  Granted he hasn't really earned his pay check...but the Sox weren't the ones that gave it to him...they merely traded for it.  I think his point is...I've done all I can here...I really serve no purpose here anymore and tired of being a baby sitter.  Him saying "right now" is his point....it's his push to get the eff outta Chicago.  Can't blame him.  He's thrown very well this year.  I hope the Sox can accomodate his wishes and get a little something in return.

He is a big reason why the rebuild happened in the first place. He's also 1-6 this year and while he hasn't been god awful like in previous years he hasn't really been good either.

So I honestly have zero sympathy for the dude.

3 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Tanking and rebuilding is and should be irrelevant to players. The players on the field should bust their rear ends to win evefy game. This is the right attitude and frankly what they are paid to do.

its up to the front office to make sure there isnt enough talent on the field to win many game.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think you are probably right in your guess but we'll see. JR has surprised folks before (Albert Belle) so you can never say with 100% certainty about what may happen. I've said before that I don't expect the Sox to land any of the "Superstar", "Game Changers" this off season. I also would be surprised if they offered any of them far and away the most money, but again we'll see, they could surprise everyone.

I think they'll be attractive to guys to help upgrade the bullpen and the depth making them better in 2019...at least I sure hope so. 

Albert Belle was signed because JR was sticking it to the other owners. He was pissed and overpaid him by a mile to prove a point. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Tanking and rebuilding is and should be irrelevant to players. The players on the field should bust their rear ends to win evefy game. This is the right attitude and frankly what they are paid to do.

its up to the front office to make sure there isnt enough talent on the field to win many game.

I love ptatc but despise the last sentence. It's very sad when a GM builds a team to lose as many games as possible when the reward is something as silly as a BASEBALL DRAFT PICK. The one draft that doesn't mean squat normally, especially with an organization that has picked the wrong guy so many times and has a problem developing guys. Makes me sick.

4 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Some of you need to grow up and accept what Shields said. Not everybody agrees that losing as many games as possible is healthy for the sport and healthy for the White Sox even.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I love ptatc but despise the last sentence. It's very sad when a GM builds a team to lose as many games as possible when the reward is something as silly as a BASEBALL DRAFT PICK. The one draft that doesn't mean squat normally, especially with an organization that has picked the wrong guy so many times and has a problem developing guys. Makes me sick.

It's not just the draft pick though (unlike basketball).  A lot of the tanking is unloading solid to good contributors for minor league assets. If not for this, the Sox would be incredible screwed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It's not just the draft pick though (unlike basketball).  A lot of the tanking is unloading solid to good contributors for minor league assets. If not for this, the Sox would be incredible screwed.

Definitely. Burger? Great pick (sarcasm). If not for the unloading of some players, the rebuild would be impossible with the Sox record in the draft. You are right. They on paper got a haul for Q, Sale, Eaton, Robertson. Those guys we got in those deals are the core of the rebuild plus Moncada and Robert.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Definitely. Burger? Great pick (sarcasm). If not for the unloading of some players, the rebuild would be impossible with the Sox record in the draft. You are right. They on paper got a haul for Q, Sale, Eaton, Robertson. Those guys we got in those deals are the core of the rebuild plus Moncada and Robert.

I wasn't a huge fan of Burger pick, but you can't fault them for a freak injury.

• Haha 1