2018 White Sox draft discussions thread

southsider2k5

This is the actual spot to make your draft day discussions, predictions and reactions to the 2018 MLB draft.  WARNING, there maybe spoilers in this thread.  Read at your own risk!

With that said, now let's hear your final predictions... who do the White Sox pick with the #4 pick in the draft today?

Singer and lots of complaining on twitter by Sox fans that say we already have too much pitching. These same fans also tweet whenever Kopech does bad to say rebuild is failing because Kopech, Giolito and Fulmer are busts.  Thank god I'm not on twitter :)

have a good draft day everyone!

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Singer and lots of complaining on twitter by Sox fans that say we already have too much pitching. These same fans also tweet whenever Kopech does bad to say rebuild is failing because Kopech, Giolito and Fulmer are busts.  Thank god I'm not on twitter :)

fathom is in mid game thread form!  :lol:

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

So is this not the place to put my 53 page rant on the state of the organization if we pick Singer?

I can talk myself into most picks, but man I just don't like singer at all. 

He's going to be shut down after CWS. He'll come back next year and by June his velo will be down and we'll be like "oh but he just knows how to pitch" and then it will be the slow painful experience of watching a wasted draft pick get shelled.

Just now, bmags said:

He's going to be shut down after CWS. He'll come back next year and by June his velo will be down and we'll be like "oh but he just knows how to pitch" and then it will be the slow painful experience of watching a wasted draft pick get shelled.

The scary part about Singer is if he's the type of college pitcher who loses 1-2 mph in the pros due to 4 day rest and not 6 day rest, then you're talking about a very mediocre velocity from right starter

Just now, bmags said:

But I'm often wrong, and the devil's advocate to this pick is Singer, according to the mlb mock draft, is in the top 3 for every top 5 pick.

That should be reassuring but I'm not sure how I feel about any of these top 5 org's in terms of talent evals.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

The scary part about Singer is if he's the type of college pitcher who loses 1-2 mph in the pros due to 4 day rest and not 6 day rest, then you're talking about a very mediocre velocity from right starter

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. What does an 88-90 mph, tops out at 92 SInger look like. It's why I get so tired of the "he's just the safest pick" stuff, college, developed pitching falls apart just like the rest.

Just now, bmags said:

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. What does an 88-90 mph, tops out at 92 SInger look like. It's why I get so tired of the "he's just the safest pick" stuff, college, developed pitching falls apart just like the rest.

Especially given that Cooper doesn't stress velocity 

Anyway, I'll try not to derail everything. I am very excited for our round 2 pick, and thankful we did not sign a cheapie Moustakas and miss out on it. You could throw like 15-20 names and I'd nod along to all of them. 

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

I have no clue what Singer's velocity was pre-hamstring injury, but maybe his lack of 93-95 velocity this past Saturday had to do with the hamstring injury not being fully healed. Just a throwing that out there. B/c there is a huge difference in performance capabilities when you are at 95 MPH with movement versus 89-90 with movement.

When the talent available all falls in the same "tier," I think choosing a hitter is the objectively correct choice. Pitchers simply have more that can go wrong with their health.

Among the hitters, I think the Hit tool is the rarest, most difficult to develop, and the one the White Sox have shown the least ability to develop. Therefore it is most coveted, IMO.

The clear answer then becomes Madrigal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

I have no clue what Singer's velocity was pre-hamstring injury, but maybe his lack of 93-95 velocity this past Saturday had to do with the hamstring injury not being fully healed. Just a throwing that out there. B/c there is a huge difference in performance capabilities when you are at 95 MPH with movement versus 89-90 with movement.

My brother saw him around 91-92 in a game prior to injury. If he was consistently at 95 like he was in CWS last year, he'd be a Tigers draftee 

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

FWIW, college pitchers are MUCH less likely to go through the velocity losses versus HS pitchers.

1 minute ago, rowand's rowdies said:

Haven't seen much of Singer but I'm getting a Carson Fulmer vibe...

Can someone explain the similarities/differences of those two in college?

Singer can pitch to contact, Fulmer never could. Not similar stuff st all. Singer has fastball command Fulmer could only dream of.

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

When the talent available all falls in the same "tier," I think choosing a hitter is the objectively correct choice. Pitchers simply have more that can go wrong with their health.

Among the hitters, I think the Hit tool is the rarest, most difficult to develop, and the one the White Sox have shown the least ability to develop. Therefore it is most coveted, IMO.

The clear answer then becomes Madrigal.

The other side of the coin is that when it comes to the White Sox, I trust their ability to develop a pitcher about infinity times more than a hitter.