2018 White Sox draft picks and signings thread

southsider2k5

This thread will be closed until after the conclusion of the draft and will only list the White Sox draft picks during that time.  After the draft, the thread will be opened to reflect any signings information.

BOLDED means a player is signed, has announced they are signing, or news reports indicate as such.  Italics means a player is NOT going to sign.

Round 1: Nick Madrigal, SS, Oregon State University $6,411,400 (at slot)

Round 2: Steele Walker, OF, University of Oklahoma $2,000,000 per MLB Pipeline (slot was $1,556,100)

Round 3: Konnor Pilkington, LHP, Mississippi State University $650,000 per MLB Pipeline (slot was $726,700)

Round 4: Lency Delgado, SS, Doral Academy (Florida) signed for $525,000 or $7200 over slot.

Round 5: Jonathan Stiever, RHP, Indiana University signed for full slot value of $386,800

Round 6: Codi Heuer, RHP, Wichita State University $260,000, $30,200 underslot

Round 7: Cabera Weaver, OF, South Gwinnett High School (Georgia) signed for full slot value at $226,200

Round 8: Andrew Perez, LHP, University of South Florida, signed for $150,000, or $29,200 underslot

Round 9: Gunnar Troutwine, C, Wichita State University $10,000 per MLB Pipeline (slot was $153,200)

Round 10: Bennett Sousa, LHP, University of Virginia $10,000 per MLB Pipeline (slot was $142,300)

Round 11: Kelvin Maldonado, SS, Pro Baseball High School & Academy $175,000 per MLB Pipeline ($50,000 vs pool)

Round 12: Isaiah Carranza, RHP, Azusa Pacific University $175,000 per MLB Pipeline ($50,000 vs pool)

Round 13: Jason Bilous, RHP, Coastal Carolina University Signed for $185k or $60k over slot value.

Round 14: Davis Martin, RHP, Texas Tech University

Round 15: Luke Shilling, RHP, University of Illinois $125,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 16: Ty Greene, C, University of California Berkeley $75,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 17: Travis Moniot, SS, University of Arizona  $50,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 18: Romy Gonzalez, 3B, University of Miami Signed for $125,000

Round 19: Gabriel Ortiz, C, PJ Education School

Round 20: Jimmy Galusky, SS, West Virginia University

Round 21: Nick Johnson, RHP, University of Rhode Island $10,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 22: Ryan Fitzpatrick, 1B, University of California Irvine $5,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 23: Lane Ramsey, RHP, University of Oklahoma $50,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 24: Rigo Fernandez, LHP, California State University Dominguez Hills $20,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 25: Jack Maynard, RHP, University of North Carolina Greensboro

Round 26: Devon Perez, RHP, University of Oklahoma

Round 27: Ian Dawkins, OF, California State University Sacramento $5,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 28: Logan Sowers, OF, Indiana University

Round 29: Taylor Varnell, LHP, Oral Roberts University

Round 30: Micah Coffey, SS, University of Minnesota $5,000 per MLB Pipeline

Round 31: Austin Conway, RHP, University of Louisville

Round 32: Aaron Soto, LHP, Florida International University

Round 33: Bryce Bush, 3B, De La Salle Collegiate High School (Michigan)

Round 34: Alec Valenzuela, C, Great Oak High School (California)

Round 35: Jason Morgan, RHP, University of North Carolina

Round 36: Adrian Del Castillo, C, Gulliver Prep School (Florida)

Round 37: Cannon King, 2B, Beverly Hills High School (California)

Round 38: Matthew Klug, OF, Brookwood High School (Georgia) Will not sign with Sox.

Round 39: Mason Montgomery, LHP, Leander High School (Texas)

Round 40: Kyle Salley, LHP, Homewood Flossmoor High School (Illinois) Sox ACE pick, going to college.

17 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Eh.. I doubt any of the last 5 picks will sign and its not like any of them are worth talking about. 

I meant in general. I'm pretty sure everyone knew Matthew Klug wasn't signing. The ACE guy in Round 40 likely won't, either.

I wonder if there are more interesting guys throughout the system than usual has led to us picking this many HS kids vs org filling college guys. The other explanation is we're trying to establish relationship and get them acquainted with our organization to help with future negotiations. But I honestly haven't seen that leading to anything in the past.

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Seems as if 16th rd catcher Tyrus Greene signing as well

I think he could be a sneaky good signing. He batted leadoff for most of the year and appears to be athletic enough to be a utility player when he isn't catching. He also has a weird swing that could probably be ironed out so he can drive the ball a little more. 

26 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Why do I think Lency Delgado is going to be a great prospect/signing?  Especially since I have never seen him play and never heard of him until June 5th.

Sorry I don't have a link, but I did see a scout with a great track record of about eight major leaguers really went to bat for him.  He came in a couple rounds earlier than ranking.  Maybe a little savings?????

It looks like Carranza is going to sign

Also Davis Martin is still in the college playoffs, but it looks good for him signing because he has the tweet about being drafted pinned.

Along those same lines of probably not enough to confirm, but at least there being an indication is Ryan Fitzpatrick who only has 23 tweets but 3 of them are related to being drafted by the Sox. Also, Kelvin Maldonado has a pic of him in Sox gear on his instagram.

Finally, Bryce Bush probably isn't signing considering it looks like he subtweeted about his being pick with a tweet just saying "lol". So not only are we probably not signing him, you can probably count out a redraft too. 

I would think all of the HS guys from 33 to 40 aren't going to sign just from general patterns and checking their social media.