2018 White Sox draft picks and signings thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is there any specific signing people are looking at as difficult? Would Carranza be one?

The Sox haven't missed on signing anyone in the top 15 rounds for a really long time.   My guess is the "difficult" signings are the HS picks after the 15th round, with the deeper picks being exponentially tougher than the early ones.

17 minutes ago, oldsox said:

What's the deal with Steele?

It could just be that its an above slot deal and they don't want to officially sign until Madrigal signs so they know exactly how much they have left in the pool. If for some reason they don't sign Madrigal, you don't want the team stuck with several above slot deals that would cause us to lose picks in the next draft. 

On 6/11/2018 at 8:42 AM, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox haven't missed on signing anyone in the top 15 rounds for a really long time.   My guess is the "difficult" signings are the HS picks after the 15th round, with the deeper picks being exponentially tougher than the early ones.

The last was Bryce Montes de Oca in 2014 which was the Rodon draft. He was taken in the 14th by the Sox out of HS. He also didn't sign as a junior in 2017 after being drafted by the Natinals in the 15th.  He was taken this year with the Mets 9th rounder

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MnSoxFan said:

This document https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQhAaAT6fxqy8DvRIDg7DcvIbKZ908OH4bSobz0ur11PL-f93sMYbJR7_w6QGW_um7CR8CAuPQ9Pend/pubhtml?gid=1741699306&single=true

says we signed both Weaver and Rigo Fernandez. Also signed an NDFA named Wyatt Burns, RHP, closer at Samford. Short guy, about 5:10

Good info. I've seen this document float around a few times, but forgot who authored it.

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Good info. I've seen this document float around a few times, but forgot who authored it.

No idea. It has missed quite a few transactions a few weeks back also. So not sure its minor league teams are correct. But the transactions is nice even though they miss some.

Awesome. Love that we got all the high school guys we probably expected to sign. 

So rounds 1 (Madrigal), 3 (Pilkington), and 14 (Martin) can't sign yet but are probably expected to.

That leaves rounds 2 (Walker), 12 (Carranza), 22 (Fitzpatrick) as guys who are eligible and should sign. Fitzpatrick told FutureSox he intends to sign after he graduates in a week or so while Carranza had indicated on Instagram that he will sign. I'm going to assume Carranza and Walker are waiting to sign overslot deals that the sign won't sign until they can sign Madrigal underslot. 

I'm also going to assume that none of the guys from round 33 and on are going to sign.

On mlb.com today is Rick Hahn in his own words.  On the draft he mentioned taking more HS players and if I read it correctly, he says "we are going to sign four".  I counted the HS players on the tracker and four are listed as signed.  So again, if I am reading it correctly, all the HS players pick 33 and below will not be signing.

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

The Carranza thing is a little odd. He had a photo on his Insta of his locker that appeared to be White Sox gear, which I took as meaning he signed. But now the photo is gone, and he is not on the list the Sox just published.

#Lockergate?