2018 White Sox draft picks and signings thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Forget about him then.

Labral tear and Lat tears are two completely different monsters. We (PTs) see and Rehab labrums often and they can return after 6-8 mo sometimes even stronger. 

Hes best off having the resources of the Sox to help him through it

On 6/22/2018 at 8:42 PM, staxxington said:

Labral tear and Lat tears are two completely different monsters. We (PTs) see and Rehab labrums often and they can return after 6-8 mo sometimes even stronger. 

Hes best off having the resources of the Sox to help him through it

Yep. Labral tears are relatively easy to fix, unless they involve stretching the capsule as well then the can get tricky. Reattaching tendons icky. They should come back but the strength after return complicates it.

Edited by ptatc

On 6/24/2018 at 12:22 AM, Jose Abreu said:

Sooo Steele Walker anyone? Is he not gonna sign? 

I'm sure Walker will sign once Pilkington and Madrigal sign as well. That way each can slot in between one another. 

This seems to be a solid draft for the White Sox. Mostly college, but a few interesting high school players mixed in as well. 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm sure Walker will sign once Pilkington and Madrigal sign as well. That way each can slot in between one another. 

This seems to be a solid draft for the White Sox. Mostly college, but a few interesting high school players mixed in as well. 

This is the problem I see with having the MLB draft during the season. The reason Madrigal can’t sign a deal yet is because he’s still playing in college correct? Because of that, Walker and Pilkington have to wait on their deals. If the draft was held after the college season players get signed, then get their assignments. No waiting

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

This is the problem I see with having the MLB draft during the season. The reason Madrigal can’t sign a deal yet is because he’s still playing in college correct? Because of that, Walker and Pilkington have to wait on their deals. If the draft was held after the college season players get signed, then get their assignments. No waiting

Both Pilkington and Walker have to wait on Madrigal. Neither of them will sign until a deal is complete with Madrigal, and with OSU going far in the CWS it seems like it will be some time before those three get signed. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Both Pilkington and Walker have to wait on Madrigal. Neither of them will sign until a deal is complete with Madrigal, and with OSU going far in the CWS it seems like it will be some time before those three get signed. 

Walker has been waiting for awhile. I don’t see any good in that

20 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

But then they would get a ton less time in the short season leagues and most of them would have to go more than a month without playing because only a small number of schools play this late in the year. Its not like they have the signing deadline before the college season ends so guys can't sign. Its just some times guys still have to play and that holds other guys up too. 

17 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

There isn't any good in it, but its avoiding a potentially really bad scenario. If he signs overslot, like most probably expect, but then Madrigal realizes he wants to go back to OSU for his senior year and decides not to sign, suddenly we lose that extra pool money from his underslot deal and then we are into the penalty area and lose future draft picks. That scenario is unlikely, but when there is very little added benefit (especially because Walker was injured and may not be able to play anyway), any amount of added risk just doesn't seem worth it. 

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

But then they would get a ton less time in the short season leagues and most of them would have to go more than a month without playing because only a small number of schools play this late in the year. Its not like they have the signing deadline before the college season ends so guys can't sign. Its just some times guys still have to play and that holds other guys up too. 

There isn't any good in it, but its avoiding a potentially really bad scenario. If he signs overslot, like most probably expect, but then Madrigal realizes he wants to go back to OSU for his senior year and decides not to sign, suddenly we lose that extra pool money from his underslot deal and then we are into the penalty area and lose future draft picks. That scenario is unlikely, but when there is very little added benefit (especially because Walker was injured and may not be able to play anyway), any amount of added risk just doesn't seem worth it. 

I guess 1 or 2 is better than 20+. The problem in this case it’s our top 3 picks. 

33 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

I know, but they have to make sure they have enough money to sign all three of them, and Walker/Pilkington won't sign until they know how much money is left. They're trying to get their slice of the pie. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know, but they have to make sure they have enough money to sign all three of them, and Walker/Pilkington won't sign until they know how much money is left. They're trying to get their slice of the pie. 

Don’t they already have an idea of what each player will get?

54 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

All major professional sports have draft from April to June. You can't have it after the baseball season because players have to commit academically if they are to stay in school for another season (That's also why the draft and short season ball starts after the end of school year). You can't have it before the MLB season either because that would push the college season into the winter months.

57 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Wait, what? If they waited til after the season the players would sign at the same time as they will now if not later. Or and all the other players we have signed who are currently playing would be waiting as well so you miss on a week or two of playing time for them.