2018 White Sox draft picks and signings thread

southsider2k5

15 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

The Carranza thing is a little odd. He had a photo on his Insta of his locker that appeared to be White Sox gear, which I took as meaning he signed. But now the photo is gone, and he is not on the list the Sox just published.

Maybe a problem with his physical?

18 minutes ago, MnSoxFan said:

In this Great Falls article it says Getz texted the Voyagers and said Steele Walker would be playing there along with Heuer, Stiever, Troutwine and also Alex Destino.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2018/06/13/heres-five-players-watch-2018-great-falls-voyagers-chris-getz-director-player-development/700243002/

Whoa, I was just reading that before you posted it. Great minds I guess.

19 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

On mlb.com today is Rick Hahn in his own words.  On the draft he mentioned taking more HS players and if I read it correctly, he says "we are going to sign four".  I counted the HS players on the tracker and four are listed as signed.  So again, if I am reading it correctly, all the HS players pick 33 and below will not be signing.

That's too bad.  I was hoping we could snag a couple of those late HS picks. 

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's too bad.  I was hoping we could snag a couple of those late HS picks. 

There were never going to have the money to do that. When 1st and 2nd rounders go at or near slot there's just not enough wiggle room. 

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There were never going to have the money to do that. When 1st and 2nd rounders go at or near slot there's just not enough wiggle room. 

I get it, was just hoping they could convince one of them to sign.  The Sox should have some savings from the 9th and 10th picks, but obviously not enough to make too much of dent and I am sure most of will be / was used for Maldonado, Carranza, Bilous, Martin and Ortiz. 

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I get it, was just hoping they could convince one of them to sign.  The Sox should have some savings from the 9th and 10th picks, but obviously not enough to make too much of dent and I am sure most of will be / was used for Maldonado, Carranza, Bilous, Martin and Ortiz. 

Again though, they can't convince someone to sign when they don't have money. They didn't save much of anything on top 2 picks. They overslotted Bilous. My guess is they overslotted Carranza and Martin as well. That's the extra savings.