2018 White Sox draft picks and signings thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I just re-crunched the numbers using my own spreadsheet, and you are correct! I am not sure how my math got screwed up before (probably because I was doing it in my head like a doofus), but thank you for double-checking me. I've updated the number in our Draft Tracker to show that $244,400 as the correct current surplus.

Sounds good.  Feel free to use the posts about how much we can offer remaining players on FS if it of interest for you.  If not, I will probably post it on to the Soxnet twitter feed.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Did they get him to drop a bit by promising a bigger number?

Certainly could be possible.  He was definitely mocked in the back of the first round very very frequently prior to draft day.

Edited by DirtySox

Looking at the signing bonus of the top 10 below, I fully expect Madrigal to be an underslot. $6M seems like a good estimate. Also interesting that the only guys signed for $2M or greater after round 1 are HS kids you have to pry away from colleges. Given Walker isn't universally viewed as a 1st round pick, it surprised me a bit we ended up paying of 1st round money for him.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/

Assuming we do sign Madrigal for $6M, and Martin is a $75K hit against pool, we can give up to $650K to one of the HS picks. That's firm 3rd round money in even factoring in inflation 3 years from now.  I think we have a strong chance at say Bryce Bush if Madrigal is underslot.

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I did. I had assumed he would go in the 25-30 range. 

I just don't get it, what leverage does he have? It probably doesn't matter, but the Sheets/Walker overslot by a lot signings have been so strange to me.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just don't get it, what leverage does he have? It probably doesn't matter, but the Sheets/Walker overslot by a lot signings have been so strange to me.

This. It's like we're coming down to the end of the signing period, and we have no intention of using the extra money, so why not just give someone a nice hunk of overslot money. I find this quite annoying, as I pointed out, Walker is the only one in his circumstances signed for that much.

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

My guess is it was a pre-draft agreement saying that we really want him and would draft him at 46 or whatever rather than where he was projected, and in return we'd pay him what he would've gotten had he been drafted where he was projected. Maybe there was mutual interest 

28 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

My guess is it was a pre-draft agreement saying that we really want him and would draft him at 46 or whatever rather than where he was projected, and in return we'd pay him what he would've gotten had he been drafted where he was projected. Maybe there was mutual interest 

Doesn't work that way. He has little leverage if a team before the Sox drafts him.

30 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Doesn't work that way. He has little leverage if a team before the Sox drafts him.

I was gonna say he could just go back to college but I guess @bmags thinks that isn't a possibility. I know it's rare but I figured it could at least be considered 

18 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I was gonna say he could just go back to college but I guess @bmags thinks that isn't a possibility. I know it's rare but I figured it could at least be considered 

It just is improbable he would make more if he went back. I mean obviously it may be a deterrant but we aren't signing these guys at slot were signing them pretty far over.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

It just is improbable he would make more if he went back. I mean obviously it may be a deterrant but we aren't signing these guys at slot were signing them pretty far over.

I agree it's impropable but maybe the Sox took the bait and actually did want to secure him so they went over to  "convince" Walker not to return senior year. I doubt it myself but there's a chance.

Edited by TheTruth05

Just want to stress a few points:

• I don't think the pay to sheets/walker changed our draft
  • I do think it underscores the tendency toward college talent from our front office
  • I have a hard time believing just from comments on how the draft went from Hostetler/etc that we were specifically targeting these guys and tried to guide them back. I think it might just be an agreement of like 'hey if you get to us we'll give you slot + remaining pool. Something like that.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just want to stress a few points:

• I don't think the pay to sheets/walker changed our draft
  • I do think it underscores the tendency toward college talent from our front office
  • I have a hard time believing just from comments on how the draft went from Hostetler/etc that we were specifically targeting these guys and tried to guide them back. I think it might just be an agreement of like 'hey if you get to us we'll give you slot + remaining pool. Something like that.

Why would they just offer them slot + remaining pool money for no reason?  I think the only options are they offered more once they were a few picks away to scare off the teams in front of them or the players themselves simply demanded  x money up front or they’d be going back to colleges.  I lean towards the former not the latter.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would they just offer them slot + remaining pool money for no reason?  I think the only options are they offered more once they were a few picks away to scare off the teams in front of them or the players themselves simply demanded  x money up front or they’d be going back to colleges.  I lean towards the former not the latter.

I didn't say I think they are doing it for no reason, I am surprised the premium the white sox have been paying to college second round picks. Look at the past two years:

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/6/15/15812484/2017-mlb-draft-signings-tracker

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/6/15/15812484/2017-mlb-draft-signings-tracker

The amount the sox are paying their second round picks stands out considering they have picked college players.