2018 White Sox draft picks and signings thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Insane!

I'll admit I know nothing about the other two, but surely would be fun to hope we can sign another one.

Del Castillo

"Strong prototypical catcher's build. 7.11 runner, has a very good arm behind the plate and makes accurate on line throws, good athletic looseness to his defensive actions, 1.86 best pop time. Left handed hitter, uses his hands very well in his swing, creates bat speed and has some barrel whip, quick hands, ball comes off the barrel hard and has some lift on his pitch. Interesting left handed hitting catcher with some pop."

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Del Castillo

"Strong prototypical catcher's build. 7.11 runner, has a very good arm behind the plate and makes accurate on line throws, good athletic looseness to his defensive actions, 1.86 best pop time. Left handed hitter, uses his hands very well in his swing, creates bat speed and has some barrel whip, quick hands, ball comes off the barrel hard and has some lift on his pitch. Interesting left handed hitting catcher with some pop."

I just saw that on PG as well. Del Castillo is ranked 136th in the the 2018 HS class, seems like a projectable catcher from the report. While there is not scouting report on Montgomery, he is ranked 81st in the nation. For comparison sake, fellow HS lefty Drew Rom who is ranked 84th went 4th round to the Orioles and signed for $650k. Looks like it will be a long shot for these two.

49 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Insane!

I'll admit I know nothing about the other two, but surely would be fun to hope we can sign another one.

All kids can be offered $125k, penalty free.  Without redoing the math, I want to say we can offer up another 200 to 225k on top of the 125k without losing a pick.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

All kids can be offered $125k, penalty free.  Without redoing the math, I want to say we can offer up another 200 to 225k on top of the 125k without losing a pick.

I didn't check the math, but it was mentioned earlier that max we can offer Bush is $450k. Since him and Martin were only $170k vs pool, the max we can offer right now should be $280k.

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I didn't check the math, but it was mentioned earlier that max we can offer Bush is $450k. Since him and Martin were only $170k vs pool, the max we can offer right now should be $280k.

You might get one of those other high schoolers with a $405K offer. That's the max the Sox can offer at the moment.

Draft Tracker updated. As it stands now, the only draft picks we don't have definitive answers on are those same two, Del Castillo and Montgomery. As for bonus pool, the Sox currently stand $369,500 over pool. So they have roughly $160k to play with still, meaning the max they could offer either is about $285k.

2 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Draft Tracker updated. As it stands now, the only draft picks we don't have definitive answers on are those same two, Del Castillo and Montgomery. As for bonus pool, the Sox currently stand $369,500 over pool. So they have roughly $160k to play with still, meaning the max they could offer either is about $285k.

I just went back to my spreadsheet and found the same thing.

33 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I wonder if Davis Martin could have gotten larger bonus if he had signed before Walker and Madrigal got their money.  Or, did the White Sox cause the delay?

White Sox know exactly what they are doing and offering to each of these players. 

3 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Doubt that gets either of those guys done, but I could be wrong. We certainly do not want to lose draft pick(s) in the future. 

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a bad move on Stewart’s part. The odds that he is good enough to be a top ten again are incredibly slim, he’s missing out on a lot of money even if the Braves are only offering him a max of 40% of the slot value for the eighth overall pick. Did he not see Brady Aiken?

With being said, I do like players who bet on themselves and I’ll be rooting for Stewart and watching him closely next year. 

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So does this mean the Sox have a higher rated farm than the Braves again? :D

I'm assuming Stewart goes to Juco to get drafted again next year. Will be interesting to see if he becomes a top 3-5 pick next year if health and his year check out. 

Going to add one more post here. Between Baseball America and MLB Pipeline, we now know bonuses on all players signed. So I did some math and put the final numbers near the top of the Tracker here, in case you want to reference that. The player bonuses are all updated too. Good for later use if needed.

Here's a fun stat - our back end at FutureSox keeps track of how many times you revise a live article. Our Tracker had 134 revisions this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Going to add one more post here. Between Baseball America and MLB Pipeline, we now know bonuses on all players signed. So I did some math and put the final numbers near the top of the Tracker here, in case you want to reference that. The player bonuses are all updated too. Good for later use if needed.

Here's a fun stat - our back end at FutureSox keeps track of how many times you revise a live article. Our Tracker had 134 revisions this year.

Awesome work as always to the whole FutureSox team!