Draft Day Poll: Who is your guy at #4?

Eminor3rd

Official Poll: Who is your pick at #4 in the 2018 draft?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Mize and Bart are gone, who is your guy?

• Alec Bohm (3B)
    • Brady Singer (SP)
    • Nick Madrigal (2B)
    • Jonathan India (SS/3B)
    • Matthew Liberatore (SP)
    • Jared Kelenic (OF)
    • Other
  2. 2. If it comes down to Madrigal and Singer, who is your guy?

• Madrigal
    • Singer
  3. 3. If Mize somehow falls, would you take him over anyone else?

• Yes
    • No

Evaluating talent is of course always subjective, but I do think that if you wind-up with the fourth pick in the entire draft, you can't be so fearful of "failing" and not hitting on it" that you go overly safe. I can't see using that pick on anyone that doesn't have the ceiling of "special." BPA at the 1-4 level almost certainly requires that.

Now, perhaps the brain trust believes Singer can be special. Not sure I see that. Not at all. At the major league level, he seems to be an "intangibles" guy with nothing special on the  "stuff" front. That's okay. Every team needs such guys. And every team has them -- on their 40 and throughout their system.

Hoping for a little more with this draft. I think you can make a case for a "special" ceiling for each of Madrigal, Bohm, and Bart. Perhaps even Kelenic.

Grab Singer, Phils. Don't tempt the brain trust. Please.

Now, if Mize drops, then there is a decision because easy to see that he's a great college pitcher with the definite chance of a special career as a pro.

17 minutes ago, SEALgep said:

if Bart is there at 4. I wouldn’t be mad if that was the selection.

Agreed, people will say 'what about Seby and Collins', but what about them? There is always the option to move to 1B and DH when we get a better idea on where their defensive abilities peak. I have the feeling Collins will turn into a 1B in time anyways although I haven't heard anything on how he has been doing as C this year. 

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

Agreed, people will say 'what about Seby and Collins', but what about them? There is always the option to move to 1B and DH when we get a better idea on where their defensive abilities peak. I have the feeling Collins will turn into a 1B in time anyways although I haven't heard anything on how he has been doing as C this year. 

Yep. I've yet to hear many positive things about Seby or Collins defensively. I think the best I've heard regarding Collins is he could be a Carlos Santana type and catch every now and then.

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Bart is one we know can actually catch defensively.  That is a big thing.

The thing to be excited about is if the sox actually turn Collins into a competent catcher that shows an incredible new talent eval + player development skill in the org, so I really hope they pull it off.

Madrigal Madrigal yes.

I would be happy as hell to draft Madrigal but hoping there's a shake up and somehow Mize or Bart fall to #4. Nothing against Collins or Zavala but Narvaez and Alfredo Gonzalez has taught me you can never have enough catching. 

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bart is one we know can actually catch defensively.  That is a big thing.

And I know Kiley McDaniel at least has mentioned the possibility of Collins being deployed similar to how the Astros use Evan Gattis -- backup catcher who DHs full time when not catching. That type of a guy would look great next to Bart.

13 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Ha... the lone Liberatore vote here. :D

I'd take Singer over Madrigal, albeit that depends on the hour (flipped flopped between the two)

And yea... Mize before anybody.

Why? Singer is awful and Madrigal literally adjusted the loft in his swing mid AB yesterday to crush a HR. That's how good his bat control is.

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Why? Singer is awful and Madrigal literally adjusted the loft in his swing mid AB yesterday to crush a HR. That's how good his bat control is.

Depends on the hour like I said. I saw Singer last year and still have that guy stapled in my head. Severely underrated on this site by "experts". Would I pick him? probably not, but he's not terrible by any means.

38 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

You're sure giving a lot of credit to one homer ahead in the count in a blowout. Most of the swings I see him have produce grounders or low liners.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

You're sure giving a lot of credit to one homer ahead in the count in a blowout. Most of the swings I see him have produce grounders or low liners.

Two practice swings trying to adjust his swing to produce more loft produces a no doubter crushed HR. That's bat control. The White Sox aren't great at developing hit tools. Take the guy with 80 bat control and develop everything else.

37 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Depends on the hour like I said. I saw Singer last year and still have that guy stapled in my head. Severely underrated on this site by "experts". Would I pick him? probably not, but he's not terrible by any means.

I don't know if he is severely underrated... I think he is a top 10 pick easy and would hope he fell to us if our pick was a few picks later but at #4 I think there is better available.