The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

What's the big negative on Singer?  I've read that he may not have a ton of upside and sort is what he is already.  Is that due to his arm angle, or lack of athleticism or what?  

I've wanted the Sox to draft a bat for awhile, so I am not necessarily on board for Singer, just curious why some of the resident draft gurus seem so down on him.  

I hope to God we don’t pick Singer. His stuff will not hold up well at professional starting pitcher caseload. He scares the shit out of me that he will end up in the bullpen. I’m tired of drafting players because of extra Firey intangibles. If we don’t draft a hitter I will be so disappointed and start to really question what we are doing as an organization. I haven’t been a fan of our past four 1st round draft picks (Fulmer, Collins, Burdi, and Burger).

• Like 1

I also find the reasons why Singer would be at the top of the board to be extremely dubious. I know make-up is important, but when you hear that as the first thing out of somoene's mouth when they mention why they like Singer does not inspire confidence in me. That and some of the rumors that poor performance from Giolito/Fulmer and Hansen's injury concerns also seem like a bad reason to have a guy climb your draft board.

Hopefully this year and next year are the last two drafts for a long while where the White Sox will be drafting in the top 5. I don't want to waste a pick on a 'bulldog' to miss out on the best player available. I know this draft is a little light on top tier talent so it's a little easier to understand, but it's hard to not think of this being more of the same from the White Sox.

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Hope not 

If the Sox go Singer he might be the most unpopular first round draft pick on this board in quite some time. 

Later in the draft I really like Nick Sandlin and Adam Wolf. Polished college pitchers. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Did Singer kick your dog?  I personally want a bat, but what's your beef with Singer to drop him out of your top 10? 

I don't have a "beef" with him. I'm personally very skeptical on the "super credentialed" college pitcher types. But like any pitcher, Singer could take his pitchability, find some velo, find a 3rd or 4th pitch, and be great.

After the success of the astros, I like that stewart and winn have good spin rates. I like the consistency and LH of Liberatore. I'd prefer hitters, and yeah, I'd probably take Kelenic over Singer though his old-for-his-year thing reminds me a bit too much of Rutherford.

I really think we should curb all Heimlich talk until he’s actually selected or the draft ends without him being picked.  There should be plenty to talk about tonight and we don’t need to rehash the same old arguments until then.  And I say this as someone who derailed the last thread talking about it, so please don’t take my comments as a personal dig against those who brought him up.

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Is Fangraphs not doing a mock today?  I wonder if there is so much uncertainty that it defeats the purpose from making any changes to their Friday draft.

Think there will be one. Maybe still wading through the mud?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is Fangraphs not doing a mock today?  I wonder if there is so much uncertainty that it defeats the purpose from making any changes to their Friday draft.

On twitter yesterday, Kiley said he was getting fed a lot of nonsense and expected lunch to be the goods. They may be wrapping up everything they heard earlier.

I did notice the board had reports go up of way more people which is nice.

edit:

https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=2018mlb&type=0&pos=all&team=all

14 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Hope not 

This is America, land of second chances.  We still don't know what he did or didn't do.  What's he supposed to do, never apply for a job, look for a leper colony??

I know this is out there, but would it be worth it for us to offer Mize 1-1 money and try to force him down to us?  We would have to make up $1.7M in value.  The 5% overage allowance would give us around $500k to work with.  If we took seniors in round 4, 9, & 10 that would give us another $800k to work with.  If we offered low-end 2nd round money, we could probably make up the remaining $400k gap with an underslot deal at #46.  This obviously wouldn’t happen, but would you be willing to pay that cost?  Basically we’d punting our 4th round pick and take a lesser player in the 2nd for the top talent in the draft.  I think would definitely do that.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I know this is out there, but would it be worth it for us to offer Mize 1-1 money and try to force him down to us?  We would have to make up $1.7M in value.  The 5% overage allowance would give us around $500k to work with.  If we took seniors in round 4, 9, & 10 that would give us another $800k to work with.  If we offered low-end 2nd round money, we could probably make up the remaining $400k gap with an underslot deal at #46.  This obviously wouldn’t happen, but would you be willing to pay that cost?  Basically we’d punting our 4th round pick and take a lesser player in the 2nd for the top talent in the draft.  I think would definitely do that.

I think what would happen is the Phillies would just pick him probably and figure it out.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This was Kiley's theory on how Mize would get to Philly in his last mock.