The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

Just now, steveno89 said:

Madrigal seems to be the board's favorite guy, but I just can't help seeing him as having the same sort of upside as Cesar Hernandez

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hernace02.shtml

Hernandez is a solid player, but I wouldn't consider him to be a star or having tons of upside. 

I keep saying the upside is Altuve, but no one else seems to see that. Not even Fangraphs, whose tool grades essentially have him as an .800-.850 OPSing Gold Glove 2B.

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Madrigal seems to be the board's favorite guy, but I just can't help seeing him as having the same sort of upside as Cesar Hernandez

Hernandez is a solid player, but I wouldn't consider him to be a star or having tons of upside. 

Should we be looking for a higher ceiling with a top five pick? 

Yeah. For the posters who think its a wasted pick with Singer o nly having a 3-4 starter ceiling, Magrigal doesnt scream All star either. I love his swing and he will be an OBP machiene but Im not sure hes a true high ceiling guy.

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Bart has an even worse K rate. I feel like everyone is overlooking that, focusing on his defensive abilities and position. 

It's not worse by much, and C is a much more premium defensive position than 3B.

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Should we be looking for a higher ceiling with a top five pick? 

You are arguing his ceiling is Cesar Hernandez, and I don't agree. I think there are plenty of examples of atypical talents having a big impact. I think Cesar Hernandez is his median projection.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Yeah. For the posters who think its a wasted pick with Singer o nly having a 3-4 starter ceiling, Magrigal doesnt scream All star either. I love his swing and he will be an OBP machiene but Im not sure hes a true high ceiling guy.

A 3-4 starter is a 2-3 WAR player. An .800-.850 OPSing Gold Glove 2B is a 4-5 WAR player. That's the difference.

Law has the Sox going Singer and passing on Madrigal

I would be muy mado but would remain hopeful - just because there’s no reason to live a life of deep resentment 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

People making that comp are referring to the violence in both deliveries and the pedigree of the school propping up the stock of each player. In those respects, I think the comparison is valid.

13 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I keep saying the upside is Altuve, but no one else seems to see that. Not even Fangraphs, whose tool grades essentially have him as an .800-.850 OPSing Gold Glove 2B.

I don't see Jose Altuve upside with Madrigal, especially with the power numbers that Altuve has put up recently. Madrigal might be good for 8-12 homers a year, but I don't see him ever reaching 20+ bombs. A 40 grade power guy is not likely to turn that into a 55/60 grade tool. 

Also Altuve has one of the best hit tools in the major leagues and serious speed. I really like Madrigal, but being realistic about him you would have to be happy drafting Cesar Hernandez. 

Just now, Dam8610 said:

This needs to not happen.

I want Madrigal in what appears to be a fairly shallow draft in terms of top end talent. There are plenty of quality players in the middle rounds with good upside though. 

19 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I'll take it.  That's all star level; better than a mid-rotation starter.

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

1) Mize

2) Bohm

3) Madrigal

4) India

5) Bart

6) Kelenic

7) Edwards

8- Singer

Continued my wish list to get to Singer, just to gauge how disappointed I'll be if we take him.

Just to clarify, this board will riot when/if the Sox select Signer, right? haha

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I have wanted Madrigal since last year. Even though it may be the correct move, drafting pitchers is boring.

I would take Mize in a heartbeat, but Singer is a couple tiers below him IMO and I think you’re betting off taking one of the advanced college positional guys (Madrigal, Bohm, or Bart) than a pitcher with Singer’s partially limited upside & red flags.  If I were drafting closer to 7th or 8th and the positional guys I mentioned were gone, I’d actually be very ok with taking Singer.

I don't see Jose Altuve upside with Madrigal, especially with the power numbers that Altuve has put up recently. Madrigal might be good for 8-12 homers a year, but I don't see him ever reaching 20+ bombs. A 40 grade power guy is not likely to turn that into a 55/60 grade tool. 

Also Altuve has one of the best hit tools in the major leagues and serious speed. I really like Madrigal, but being realistic about him you would have to be happy drafting Cesar Hernandez. 

Look at Fangraphs grades on Madrigal. 70 hit 70 speed 60 field 50 (game) power 50 arm. For reference, according to Kiley's chart from his explaining scouting project, a 50 power grade was ~20 HR in 2014, which is likely a higher total today. Name a .300 hitting, 20-20 potential, Gold Glove caliber 2B in MLB today. There's Altuve and?

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

I'll take it.  That's all star level; better than a mid-rotation starter.

Madrigal seems like a guy who could be a rock solid starter on a good team batting first or second and setting the table for Eloy. 

• Like 2

I will honestly be UNBELIEVABLY excited if Singer goes in the top 3. I don't even want the scenario of "Kenny will wield his power and overrule the room to take Singer" to ever even be an option. I would rather Singer go top 3, than he go AFTER pick 4 because I don't want to think there was conflicts in the draft room over it.