The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Late to the party. Awesome to see the Sox take Madrigal. Pretty shocked how far Singer fell. 

Royals have the one of the two biggest pools. They're going to pay him like Top 5 probably, and that's likely why they got him.

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

Saw an interview where he said he hopes the Sox don’t take him. That could be wishful thinking that goes before 46, but he said it.

Hm, he's probably hoping to go sooner, and he probably will.

If not him, Schnell or Siani would be good options if they're available.

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

When he's making all-star games and winning gold gloves, will you?

I love the high contact, high OBP guys. i stated before I would his swing. Most fans are focused on power today and I don't think he going to hit for much power.

Edited by ptatc

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So when he is hitting 5 HR a year and Slugging .350 everyone will cheer right?

Not in this day and age, when Tim Anderson is on track for 30-35 homers.

Everyone projected him at 12-15, 18 tops...on draft day.

Someone that comes to mind from the past in terms of hitting effectively at 2B with not great power, Tommy Herr of the Cardinals.

Just now, daggins said:

Hm, he's probably hoping to go sooner, and he probably will.

If not him, Schnell or Siani would be good options if they're available.

I was waiting for someone to mention Siani.  I'm a fan.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I love the high contact, high OBP guys. i stated before I would love his swing. Most fans are focused on power today and I don't think he going to hit for much power.

Sox will have plenty of power in theory.  Need guys that can defend and get on base at premium positions.  That seems like this kid.  More I think about it the more I love the pick.  They needed a big time middle infield prospect and now they got one.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

You'll be happy to know I am gonna decline comment on our first round pick.

High praise from you, Greg. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I love the high contact, high OBP guys. i stated before I would love his swing. Most fans are focused on power today and I don't think he going to hit for much power.

I think the Fangraphs guys have him pegged well as a high end (say 85th percentile) outcome at a gold glove defender with an .800-.850 OPS whose game power will play better than people expect because of how good his bat control and speed are. Still think his top end (99th percentile) outcome is Altuve.

I already noted the power is mostly of the Doubles variety, but I think more could come. The first thing I’d do if I drafted Madrigal is introduce him to the squat machine and tell him to get super acquainted with it. He needs more low end in his swing, a lot more. He’s such a good contact hitter I wouldn’t want to overhaul his swing entirely but I would tweak 3 things and I think those tweaks, all pretty minor could unlock a lot more power. On to the videos where I’ll discuss more, but first here’s one sans comment, just so you can see the swing. This one is courtesy of Fangraphs’ Eric Longenhagen from a couple years back. Nick still has the same swing, so don’t think I’m cherry picking here.

So first the basics before I talk about my tweaks: Madrigal has a huge leg lift, that’s rare for a guy with such good contact ability. I usually hate them, but Madrigal’s succeeded quite well with it, so I’d live with it for now (I’ll talk about the tweaks later). You’ll also notice he takes a really long stride and lands with his foot closed (parallel to the front of home plate). His swing has a good upward plane also, which should gear him to more power than you see. The problem is his lower half doesn’t drive the way it should and that closed front foot actually locks his hip some and saps power.

My idea for tweaking his swing was figuring out how to keep the contact skills that make him so effective, but to actually get some power out of the swing. That’s important for any hitter, but especially for a guy who is so small for a pro baseball player. Power hitters use a leg kick to get their weight back, build momentum and drive through the ball. Madrigal’s is purely timing, with no power in it at all. He picks it up and puts it down with a big stride, but doesn’t carry momentum from it. It would be great if he loaded with it and started rolling forward more before planting the foot, that would build the momentum and allow him to drive from his back leg, which has very little drive in the current swing.The second tweak is to land with his front foot more open, this will free his hips to come through with his hands and carry his lower half momentum through the contact. If you freeze his swing at contact his hands are well ahead of his hips, which means some of that lower half rotational power is left sitting in the tank.

The last, and biggest, tweak is for him to drive from the back foot more. There are, obviously, 2 ways to power your hip rotation. You can pull your hips through with your front side, this will cause your back heel to lift in order to free the back hip to turn. Or you push it open from the back leg. Your heel will still lift, but closer to the point you make contact with the ball in your swing. Madrigal’s back heel is up the instant his front foot lands, there’s not a lot of power in pulling your hips through, so I’d rather he plant and push. Opening that front foot should free him to do this more easily.

I don’t want to undersell making changes to swing mechanics, there’s always risk, but I tried to make ones that don’t alter his normal stride, eye level, plane or kick, but instead maximize what he’s already doing. I think he can probably get to average power and above average to plus hitting. Combined with his speed that probably makes him an occasional All Star and a solid impact Starter on most every team in the Majors.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2018/3/21/17145876/2018-phillies-draft-preview-nick-madrigal-2b

Just now, GenericUserName said:

Plus arm, plus defense, plus speed? Count me in. I just thought he would be gone by our second pick 

I'd be cool with Schnell/Siani/Thomas at 46 if any of them are still on the board.

Hankins, McClanahan, Kowar or Rocker would all be on my list on the pitching side. Not as versed on hitters, so can't really tell you who's on my list there. I'd be shocked if any of them made it to 46 though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman