The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

Few players in the 2018 college Draft class can match Walker's track record with wood bats. He led the Northwoods League with a .406 batting average in the summer of 2016 and was Team USA's most productive hitter last summer. His pure hitting ability gives him a chance to become the first Oklahoma position player selected in the first round since John Russell in 1982. Thanks to his hand-eye coordination, pitch recognition and controlled approach, Walker repeatedly laces line drives to all fields. He's not big but he has a quick left-handed swing and some deceptive strength that should produce at least average power. Though he makes contact so easily, he continues to hone his plate discipline and draws his share of walks. Walker's bat is his lone above-average tool and will have to carry him. While he uses his savvy to get the job done in center and right field for the Sooners, his average speed and fringy arm likely will push him to left field in pro ball. Scouts do love his instincts and makeup.

mlb.com

This is a bit of a strange one...in the sense that we already have Robert, Jimenez, Adolfo, Rutherford, Basabe, Fisher, Call, Gonzalez, etc.

And that he basically only has ONE plus tool.   If he can only play LF, that leaves his options pretty limited in this organization.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah, I guess, but there are players that can develop both. You can't have an outfield of daniel palka's/nicky delmonicos.

Fair enough but I'd take those guys over an outfield of Courtney Hawkins'/Jarred Mitchell's any day 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Looks like the OF logjam won’t be ending anytime soon.  Reallly wish we went for someone with a bit more upside there.  I feel like Hostetler is never going to draft more than one prep ever again.

I'm sure we'll here there was a guy they had a deal on drafted just before them.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Looks like the OF logjam won’t be ending anytime soon.  Reallly wish we went for someone with a bit more upside there.  I feel like Hostetler is never going to draft more than one prep ever again.

Hostetlers drafts seem to focus on plus hit tool with a good walk rate.

10 minutes ago, daggins said:

Reminds me of Jameson Fisher. Could work out ok.

Scouting report is nearly identical except Walker is a bit more advanced with the bat.

Edited by SoxAce