The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

But that doesn't make Fisher a bust. He was a 4th RD draft pick out of college, how high were your expectations?

Bust may be too strong of a word, but I’ve been very dissapointed with his tool which was supposed to be his bread & butter.

Interesting we drafted an injured player...hopefully they'll let that oblique strain heal 100% before he goes to Kanny or W-S

Walker was the Sooners' leading hitter this season, hitting .352 with 13 home runs and 53 RBIs — all team highs.

Walker struggled early in the season before finding a groove showing why he was considered one of the top collegiate bats in the country going into the season.

Walker's Oklahoma season ended after the regular season when he suffered an oblique strain in the regular-season finale at Kansas on May 19 and then aggravated the injury two days later in practice.

Walker missed the Big 12 Tournament and the Sooners' regional at Florida State.

Murray, the Sooners' center fielder, was picked by the Oakland A's with the No. 9 overall pick earlier Monday.

https://newsok.com/article/5596986/steele-walker-oklahomas-junior-outfielder-is-the-second-sooners-player-taken-in-mondays-first-two-rounds

Edited by caulfield12

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Few players in the 2018 college Draft class can match Walker's track record with wood bats. He led the Northwoods League with a .406 batting average in the summer of 2016 and was Team USA's most productive hitter last summer. His pure hitting ability gives him a chance to become the first Oklahoma position player selected in the first round since John Russell in 1982. Thanks to his hand-eye coordination, pitch recognition and controlled approach, Walker repeatedly laces line drives to all fields. He's not big but he has a quick left-handed swing and some deceptive strength that should produce at least average power. Though he makes contact so easily, he continues to hone his plate discipline and draws his share of walks. Walker's bat is his lone above-average tool and will have to carry him. While he uses his savvy to get the job done in center and right field for the Sooners, his average speed and fringy arm likely will push him to left field in pro ball. Scouts do love his instincts and makeup.

mlb.com

This is a bit of a strange one...in the sense that we already have Robert, Jimenez, Adolfo, Rutherford, Basabe, Fisher, Call, Gonzalez, etc.

And that he basically only has ONE plus tool.   If he can only play LF, that leaves his options pretty limited in this organization.

JF: Do you think about that kind of stuff, like how crowded Winston-Salem’s outfield is, when you’re picking?

Hostetler: Not early. As a matter of fact, it won’t even cross my mind when I’m making the picks. And when I say early, I mean rounds one through 10. Once we cross the 10th round and we start filling the clubs, yeah, more or less that’s Getzy standing next to me saying ‘We don’t need this’ or ‘We don’t need that’ or I’ll say ‘Hey we’ve got a toolsy outfielder who could go to Kannapolis, is he going to get at-bats?’ Things like that. Him and I work hand-in-hand really after the 10th round to try to fill our clubs and get the best prospect at the same time.

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

What were the reasons then

He said because of who his dad is, he physically maxed out his body at a young age and apparently the Sox don't think there is any projection left in his frame. They think his numbers are the product of him overpowering kids his age who haven't physically matured yet. 

Possibly similar to the criticism against Nolan Gorman, that he was maxed out physically for his age and no projection left.

Of all the people the Yankees could choose to represent, they pick...Swisher?

This looks like a solid pick.  Maybe just some "fatigue" as we have several prospects with similar profiles/backgrounds and they haven't really rocketed through the minors.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Of all the people the Yankees could choose to represent, they pick...Swisher?

This looks like a solid pick.  Maybe just some "fatigue" as we have several prospects with similar profiles/backgrounds and they haven't really rocketed through the minors.

Hard to imagine Swish didn't call the Yankees first and really push them to let him to do it....because you think someone more representative like a Bernie Williams or Jorge Posada type.   Definitely not Nick Swisher.

Just watched some film on Walker. I bet we are projecting some more power on him because he used a lower hand load during the summer and did well while it looks like he went away from that during the spring but added some more lower body into his swing. Both of those things look like they add power to him so if he is able to do both together he might get more power than he showed using either individually. 

20 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He said because of who his dad is, he physically maxed out his body at a young age and apparently the Sox don't think there is any projection left in his frame. They think his numbers are the product of him overpowering kids his age who haven't physically matured yet. 

Possibly similar to the criticism against Nolan Gorman, that he was maxed out physically for his age and no projection left.

Bohm looks more physically mature than players his age, but then again Bryce Harper looked WAY more physically mature than HS players his age and look at him now