The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We still don’t know if Adolfo will stay at DH, get surgery or continue rehab...

Should be Gonzalez, Robert, Rutherford, Adolfo at Winston-Salem.

Move up Booker and Call to AA.

Jimenez to AAA.  And Steele Walker to Kannapolis because he’s going to be coming off that oblique injury and they’ll want him to build some confidence starting out against lesser pitching before he hits High A.

To me, the toughest decision is Basabe...whether to push him up to AA as well, or let him share time with Robert/Rutherford/Gonzalez in the outfield.

To AAA: Eloy Jimenez, Tito Polo, Jameson Fisher

To AA: Joel Booker, Alex Call, Micker Adolfo/Blake Rutherford

To A+: Luis Gonzalez, Luis Robert

I think at least one of Micker and Blake is ready for AA. That said, if the org doesn't feel that way, they're more likely to push Basabe.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Jimenez to AAA.  And Steele Walker to Kannapolis because he’s going to be coming off that oblique injury and they’ll want him to build some confidence starting out against lesser pitching before he hits High A.

To me, the toughest decision is Basabe...whether to push him up to AA as well, or let him share time with Robert/Rutherford/Gonzalez in the outfield.

Well said and agree with all of it. We'll see what they do with Adolfo. That'll answer if Basabe stays and they just rotate at DH in W-S or not.

5 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

To AAA: Eloy Jimenez, Tito Polo, Jameson Fisher

To AA: Joel Booker, Alex Call, Micker Adolfo/Blake Rutherford

To A+: Luis Gonzalez, Luis Robert

I think at least one of Micker and Blake is ready for AA. That said, if the org doesn't feel that way, they're more likely to push Basabe.

I don't see them pushing Rutherford to AA over Basabe, who is repeating high A ball after a rough 2017. Gonzalez really should be pushed to high A, opening up a spot for Walker in Kannapolis. 

Eloy and Polo/Fisher to AAA

Booker or Call to AA

Robert and Gonzalez to A+ 

I think you push Basabe without reservations. He'll struggle, but he's shown he can come back with experience. Now with actual offensive prospects in AA, that park doesn't seem near the death valley it once was.

Polo isn’t ready to be promoted...but he’s more or less organizational filler level right now and he’s not going to be allowed to block a real prospect’s playing time.

Sometimes kids respond by actually performing better in AAA than AA...no guarantees, but it should be looked at more as an opportunity if he does get the chance, since most of the AAA guys are veterans/retreads and just filling roster spots or providing depth for even more major league injuries.

And, upon further reflection, since Basabe already had had significant time in High A, he’s undoubtedly the one that moves to AA before Adolfo IMO...

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Why do you think Polo is ready for AAA?

He's not, necessarily, but he's a 4th OF. Maybe he's more important developmentally than Booker, so you leave him in AA, but the guys in A+ that would be moving up need the bulk of the PT in AA.

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

As of the last time I read about Micker, the question wasn't surgery, it was could he be healthy enough to play some OF again.

1 minute ago, GGajewski18 said:

Basabe is more ready for AA than Rutherford and it's not close.

Any speculation on who the Sox are targeting in rounds three and four? 

I see us sticking with the college player route, possibly a pitcher? Although I would like us to take some risks and try to stock our lower minors with high school talent. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Any speculation on who the Sox are targeting in rounds three and four? 

I see us sticking with the college player route, possibly a pitcher? Although I would like us to take some risks and try to stock our lower minors with high school talent. 

I'm never guessing a high schooler ever again with this team. I do think Spillane and Wolf are two players we know they scouted, that's good speculation.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm never guessing a high schooler ever again with this team. I do think Spillane and Wolf are two players we know they scouted, that's good speculation.

I understand the philosophy in taking less risky college players, but I do wish the organization would roll the dice a bit more on high school talent. Depth throughout our entire system should be the goal as we look to create a farm that can continue to supply talent year after year. 

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I understand the philosophy in taking less risky college players, but I do wish the organization would roll the dice a bit more on high school talent. Depth throughout our entire system should be the goal as we look to create a farm that can continue to supply talent year after year. 

See I get wanting to take some HS (I'm in that boat) but just because you don't doesn't mean we won't have continuous waves of talent.  There's a draft every year and if we continue to draft college guys they will all stillbe coming up in waves assuming we draft right.

I like madrigal, I think he is the second best player of this draft. I think he probably becomes a howie Kendrick type of hitter but there is a chance for more.

Will be interesting what they get the rest of the draft, unfortunately the really good HS and college talent is gone due to KC and cleveland having multiple picks making deals less likely but they should get some decent guys. Good decision though to not go under slot in hindsight after seeing how Kc, cleveland and San diego killed it in the comp round.

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

See I get wanting to take some HS (I'm in that boat) but just because you don't doesn't mean we won't have continuous waves of talent.  There's a draft every year and if we continue to draft college guys they will all stillbe coming up in waves assuming we draft right.

How good would adding a player like Nander De Sedas to our low minors look for example? Depth throughout the system is key.

This third round pick will be interesting. Maybe we go big and get a guy we're surprised we could sign, but if not in third I don't see one we are super pumped by for rest of day (like Abbott but above slightly).

But I'm expecting college hitter or pitcher. Maybe Tristan Beck?

46 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think you push Basabe without reservations. He'll struggle, but he's shown he can come back with experience. Now with actual offensive prospects in AA, that park doesn't seem near the death valley it once was.

The only problem with pushing Basabe is he’s in the middle of a cold steak.  I’d rather let him get hot for a week or two and then bump him up.

2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Fisher could probably go to AAA if they wanted to push him.  Eloy will be there soon.  

I've got a feeling that he will spend very little time/skip AAA.

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

How good would adding a player like Nander De Sedas to our low minors look for example? Depth throughout the system is key.

He would look great there, but thanks to the hard slotting system, we can't offer high upside HS guys enough to buy them out of going to college. It's the same problem everyone faces, essentially unless you have a ton of compensation/comp balance picks to play with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm with you.  I just think if we always draft well there will always be "waves".  Also,De Sadas at round 2 was one of the guys I was targeting

Edited by cjgalloway

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamKwski/status/1003869173146095621

I guess if we're pulling up old Twitter files when players were kids, here's Swaggerty. 

It was 2 years ago (for Bart, at least), I wouldn't just excuse it as "they were kids". Political takes are one thing but implying that slavery wasn't that bad because people died in the Civil War is pretty low class 

10 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I like madrigal, I think he is the second best player of this draft. I think he probably becomes a howie Kendrick type of hitter but there is a chance for more.

Will be interesting what they get the rest of the draft, unfortunately the really good HS and college talent is gone due to KC and cleveland having multiple picks making deals less likely but they should get some decent guys. Good decision though to not go under slot in hindsight after seeing how Kc, cleveland and San diego killed it in the comp round.

Tampa Bay too. This is key. Without comp or competitive balance picks, going underslot early doesn't make that much sense, and it would have been a blunder for the Sox. So so happy they went with Madrigal.