The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

Wouldn't it be really hard for the Phillies to pull that off? They only have the 12th biggest draft pool because they don't have 2nd or 3rd round pick. They would have to punt a lot of other picks to go way over slot with the third pick.

Just now, TomPickle said:

Wouldn't it be really hard for the Phillies to pull that off? They only have the 12th biggest draft pool because they don't have 2nd or 3rd round pick. They would have to punt a lot of other picks to go way over slot with the third pick.

Yep.  But they might deem it worth it.

31 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Indy teams definitely gotta be monitoring him

All publicity is good publicity in their case

After round 10 the consequences go way down.  The bonus is basically zero and they don't have a slot space to give up if you don't sign him.  He will go somewhere between round 11 and 40.

33 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Hope not 

Yeah, that’s a tough one to live down. Reading what Law said, there is very little chance. It appears the scouting community holds a bit of a grudge too, as he not disclosing that could have cost a few of them employment. He also mentioned what do you do when you visit kids in the hospital? If my kid was in the hospital, I wouldn’t want him anywhere near her. I know now he says he is innocent, but he did plead quilty.and it doesn’t appear his entire family is convinced of his innocence. If He didn’t do it I feel bad for him, but there is no way his plea will ever get reversed unless the girl says she made it up.  He wouldn’t be on my board. A total PR nightmare. A distraction for the team. He has a little protection from all of that in college. It will be a free for all if he signed with someone,

Has there recently been a draft pick (especially first round) that most everyone disliked? Courtney Hawkins maybe? 

Singer would definitely be the next. If we're looking to draft a future Kirk Saarloos, atleadt wait until the later rounds to find a reliever. 

What about Connor at #4 and Schnell at #46? Underslot Connor (who probably would go in the teens) and throw more at Schnell (Late 1st round) to have two high potential, high ceiling bats. I think it's unlikely, but I'd love the White Sox to take advantage of a deeper draft where value will be found beyons the top names

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

Has there recently been a draft pick (especially first round) that most everyone disliked? Courtney Hawkins maybe? 

Singer would definitely be the next. If we're looking to draft a future Kirk Saarloos, atleadt wait until the later rounds to find a reliever. 

What about Connor at #4 and Schnell at #46? Underslot Connor (who probably would go in the teens) and throw more at Schnell (Late 1st round) to have two high potential, high ceiling bats. I think it's unlikely, but I'd love the White Sox to take advantage of a deeper draft where value will be found beyons the top names

Everyone LOVED Hawkins when he was drafted.  It was the big "change in philosophy" and it meant that the Sox weren't "playing it safe" anymore.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Those are good second round ones.

Think the Sox have any interest in India @ #4? I know he's tough to judge because of his amazing 2018 out of nowhere, but I just get the feeling we may regret passing on him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Most people here liked the Hawkins pick when it happened.

Just now, steveno89 said:

Think the Sox have any interest in India @ #4? I know he's tough to judge because of his amazing 2018 out of nowhere, but I just get the feeling we may regret passing on him. 

Me? I don't know, I don't like his k rate. I've been less obssessed with him than most of soxtalk, but I like him more than soxtalks last obsession, Adam Hasely.

58 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I hope to God we don’t pick Singer. His stuff will not hold up well at professional starting pitcher caseload. He scares the shit out of me that he will end up in the bullpen. I’m tired of drafting players because of extra Firey intangibles. If we don’t draft a hitter I will be so disappointed and start to really question what we are doing as an organization. I haven’t been a fan of our past four 1st round draft picks (Fulmer, Collins, Burdi, and Burger).

Burdi was asecond round pick, wasnt he? Seems to be he was in the same draft as Collins.

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

He really hasn't been linked to the Sox in any of the draft scuttlebutt at all. I think BA had the Sox taking him in one mock this entire draft season? Keeps coming back to Singer/Madrigal. Who knows though, seems like they have been playing it close to the vest in recent years.

If Detroit picks Mize and offers him a little more than the second slot money doesn’t he have to take it? It is still $7.5 million. If he went back to college, he would be lucky to get that next season with zero leverage. At worst it will keep him from signing until the deadline, but that shouldn’t concern the Tigers. He gets some rest and they aren’t going to need him for a while.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

1st round pick, but late.  #26 overall I think.

Did the sox have 2 first round picks that year? Or am i wrong that he was the same draft as collins.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Me? I don't know, I don't like his k rate. I've been less obssessed with him than most of soxtalk, but I like him more than soxtalks last obsession, Adam Hasely.

Bart has an even worse K rate. I feel like everyone is overlooking that, focusing on his defensive abilities and position. 

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Madrigal seems to be the board's favorite guy, but I just can't help seeing him as having the same sort of upside as Cesar Hernandez

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hernace02.shtml

Hernandez is a solid player, but I wouldn't consider him to be a star or having tons of upside. 

Should we be looking for a higher ceiling with a top five pick? 

Edited by steveno89