White Sox select Nick Madrigal with 4th overall pick

Panerista

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Then why aren't we talking about moving Madrigal, who was announced as a SS? Why not try him in LF or something?

Honestly, because he has more value at SS.  You wait as long as you can to move him to maximize his value.

He's got what? 1.5 years in the minors at the least? So 2020 at the earliest? Let him, Burger and whoever else play down at the minors for 1.5 years and meanwhile we'll have a pretty clear picture by then of what exactly Anderson is and will be as well as Moncada. Outside of Burger all the guys can play other positions pretty easily. So if that means Madrigal 2b or ss... Anderson at ss, 3b, or OF, and moncada at 2b or 3b so be it. We'll figure it out. At the very worst (best) you have what the Cubs have -- you have Zobrist, Baez, Happ, Russell, Bryant, etc. all moving in and out of the infield and LF, etc.

I mean look at the Brewers this year -- people were like where you going to play Santana, Braun, Yelich, Thames, etc. etc. and Counsell just said there will be injuries that happen and off days etc. And guess what? It happened exactly like that. Also people like Santana all of a sudden have an off year after a great year last year.

I don't have a problem at all. Let it all play out. At the worst you have some guys DH, play LF, CF, etc for a day or two a week. There are enough AB's to go around.

Edited by BrianAnderson
  • Like 3

So where does he start?  I’m sure he’ll get a token few games at Great Falls, but will he go to Kannapolis or Winston-Salem after that?  The IF situation is actually pretty crowded for both clubs.  He’ll obviously take precedent over all those guys, but just not sure how aggressive they’ll be with him this year.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

So where does he start?  I’m sure he’ll get a token few games at Great Falls, but will he go to Kannapolis or Winston-Salem after that?  The IF situation is actually pretty crowded for both clubs.  He’ll obviously take precedent over all those guys, but just not sure how aggressive they’ll be with him this year.

Promote Laz and start him in Kanny. No point in wasting ABs in GF. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would think W-S. They started Collins there and Madrigal has 3x the hit tool. You don't move fringe guys over your top stud unless the sox really like Laz Rivera that I somehow missed.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nick H. suggested W-S tonight.

I honestly think Hostetler may have had him slotted 1-1 based on his retelling of his meeting with Madrigal.

Comparing him to India will be fun to witness in the coming years. I’m happy. This is our spark plug for 2020 and on.