White Sox select Nick Madrigal with 4th overall pick

Panerista

In hindsight Madrigal was probably their pick all along, Right before the draft we got that interview on whitesox.com saying Timmy will play anywhere and then Madrigal is announced as a SS. Not saying Timmy moves or Madrigal has what it takes to be a SS just that the emphasis now will be towards a more versatile group of guys to make the transition easily for w/e transpires.

Love all the speed the Sox have also . Add Madrigal to a list that is Tim, Moncada, hopefully Robert. Lots of speed there to be driven in by Eloy and company. The new Go Go White Sox (even heard a Nellie Fox comp for Madrigal regarding how rarely he strikes out.)

• Like 1

Moncada and Madrigal share birthdays with Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko respectively. Two huge pieces in the rebuild, and arguably the two greatest  all around hitters in franchise history. 

What does it mean????? (nothing really, just an interesting coincidence)

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mac9001 said:

I'm 100% in favor of W-S. I hate that we draft advanced college hitters and leave them in the low minors for entire seasons.  

Sometimes it's because they struggle in Low A.

10 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Another college guy yay. Why not take a more upside guy in Groshans or Stewart? Instead we draft yet another flawed college player.

Don't get me wrong I like Madrigal but he's a midget. He'll never hit for any power.

Ummm, I guess I'll take the bait.

Please give me a detailed write-up on Stewart vs. Madrigal and why he'd be a better pick.

I'll hang up and listen. thanks.

11 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Another college guy yay. Why not take a more upside guy in Groshans or Stewart? Instead we draft yet another flawed college player.

Don't get me wrong I like Madrigal but he's a midget. He'll never hit for any power.

Huh????

Flawed college player? You do realize that Madrigal was the best college position player by a considerable margin, right? 

Players like Albies, Altuve, Biggio, Pedroia, Hernandez, etc. are all similar sized to Madrigal and are/were excellent. 

Rank Name Pos Age Hit Game Raw Speed Field Arm FB SL CB CH CT CMD Sits Top

If you look at his profile, we should be very excited about the player he can become. Also, how does a high school pitcher in Stewart or position player in Groshans fit into our window? 
1 Casey Mize RHP 21.1             60 / 60 50 / 55   55 / 60 60 / 65 45 / 50 92-96 97
2 Nick Madrigal 2B 21.2 40 / 70 30 / 50 40 / 45 70 / 70 55 / 60 50 / 50

Can't wait to see him in the BIgs come 2020, where does he slot in the top 100 and our top 30? Where does Walker slot in our top 30 as well and what's a good comp for him? I say the Top 10 will be:

1) Eloy- up in September
2) Kopech- up in September
3) Robert- up in mid-late 2019
4) Madrigal- up in 2020
5) Hansen- up in mid-2019
6) Cease- up in 2020
7) Dunning- up in mid-2019
8: Collins- up in 2019
9) Adolfo- up in late 2020
10) Burger- up in 2021
Up next: Basabe/2021, Rutherford/2020, Walker/2021, Gonzalez/2020, Hamilton/2018, Stephens/2018, Zavala/2019, Johnson/2020

Wow

One thing that really stood out was his coach’s belief that he could play SS, 3B and CF.

Basically, both he and Grenier (the kid who went in the 2nd round) were recruited together and both wanted to join a program where they could win (go to CWS, etc.)

The coach’s explanation was that Grenier, because of his size and arm strength, would have a much more difficult time switching to 2B than Madrigal had...that basically having Grenier at SS and Madrigal at 2B was their ultimate defensive alignment, but that Nick could really play SS well.

The other thing that really opens your eyes is the quote from the scout when he was a senior in HS saying that he wanted to draft Madrigal early but the organization wouldn’t go for it due to size concerns...that scout said he was the best high school baseball player in the country (they were in Mexico for a UA Tournament, Grenier I think was on the same team.)

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

One thing that really stood out was his coach’s belief that he could play SS, 3B and CF.

Basically, both he and Grenier (the kid who went in the 2nd round) were recruited together and both wanted to join a program where they could win (go to CWS, etc.)

The coach’s explanation was that Grenier, because of his size and arm strength, would have a much more difficult time switching to 2B than Madrigal had...that basically having Grenier at SS and Madrigal at 2B was their ultimate defensive alignment, but that Nick could really play SS well.

The other thing that really opens your eyes is the quote from the scout when he was a senior in HS saying that he wanted to draft Madrigal early but the organization wouldn’t go for it due to size concerns...that scout said he was the best high school baseball player in the country (they were in Mexico for a UA Tournament, Grenier I think was on the same team.)

This, along with the quote from madrigal that he'd play anywhere including picking up an outfield glove (no word on catching mitt), is why I wanted Madrigal and was not deterred by the defensively limited stuff.

It's not only his instincts and speed being plus, it's his baseball IQ and attitude make him prime to be the guy that plays anywhere and is a spark plug. I am SO excited for him. Hope he doesn't fail, then it will prove once more I don't know anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Thanks, podcast links are such a pain to find. Stupid apps!

I have no clue how any Sox fan could be upset with the Madrigal selection. The draft is such a crapshoot, and grabbing and elite up the middle college talent cannot be faulted. 

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Can't wait to see him in the BIgs come 2020, where does he slot in the top 100 and our top 30? Where does Walker slot in our top 30 as well and what's a good comp for him? I say the Top 10 will be:

1) Eloy- up in September
2) Kopech- up in September
3) Robert- up in mid-late 2019
4) Madrigal- up in 2020
5) Hansen- up in mid-2019
6) Cease- up in 2020
7) Dunning- up in mid-2019
8: Collins- up in 2019
9) Adolfo- up in late 2020
10) Burger- up in 2021
Up next: Basabe/2021, Rutherford/2020, Walker/2021, Gonzalez/2020, Hamilton/2018, Stephens/2018, Zavala/2019, Johnson/2020

Wow

Fangraphs has him at 35 in their top 100, which puts him at 4 in the system based on their rankings.

Just now, bmags said:

This, along with the quote from madrigal that he'd play anywhere including picking up an outfield glove (no word on catching mitt), is why I wanted Madrigal and was not deterred by the defensively limited stuff.

It's not only his instincts and speed being plus, it's his baseball IQ and attitude make him prime to be the guy that plays anywhere and is a spark plug. I am SO excited for him. Hope he doesn't fail, then it will prove once more I don't know anything.

While still having considerable upside, Madrigal seemingly has one of the highest floors in the draft. The bat, speed and glove appear to make him at least a 2 WAR type of player moving forward, with plenty of potential for more. True 60/70 grade hit tools are a rarity, especially combined with above average speed and fielding skills. 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am going to say if anyone moves, it will probably be Madrigal, with the tool set he has it isn't hard to squint and see him in CF or LF eventually.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to say if anyone moves, it will probably be Madrigal, with the tool set he has it isn't hard to squint and see him in CF or LF eventually.

I'd prefer to keep Madrigal in the infield where his plus defense and speed can be an asset. Moncada might be able to profile at third base with his plus arm strength and more reps there? 

Right now it's too early to change anything.