White Sox select Nick Madrigal with 4th overall pick

Panerista

Just now, steveno89 said:

I'd prefer to keep Madrigal in the infield where his plus defense and speed can be an asset. Moncada might be able to profile at third base with his plus arm strength and more reps there? 

Right now it's too early to change anything. 

The guys who are established are the least likely to move.

It is too early to change anything and they should be playing Madrigal at SS for now.  But it also wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to send him to a winter ball or fall league and have him play some LF too.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is too early to change anything and they should be playing Madrigal at SS for now.  But it also wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to send him to a winter ball or fall league and have him play some LF too.

Agreed, but with the glut of OF prospects we now have we should be able to scrounge together a solid core of at least two starters from: Jimenez, Robert, Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez, Walker, Adolfo, Call, Fisher, Polo, Booker, Cordell, let alone any of the guys on our current mlb roster?

Hard not to listen to that interview with his college coach and get excited.  Interesting tidbit in that he compared his fielding to Ozzie's.  Ozzie could pick it but let's hope Nick has a better bat!  Seems like his absolute floor is 2 WAR super utility guy.  Let's hope for more than that but man, this seems like a great pick at #4.  Feels like you could talk yourself into him as 1:1 in this class.

32 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hard not to listen to that interview with his college coach and get excited.  Interesting tidbit in that he compared his fielding to Ozzie's.  Ozzie could pick it but let's hope Nick has a better bat!  Seems like his absolute floor is 2 WAR super utility guy.  Let's hope for more than that but man, this seems like a great pick at #4.  Feels like you could talk yourself into him as 1:1 in this class.

If he was 6'0" he would've been the unquestioned #1 overall pick. What a difference 4 inches makes.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Need more power out of LF. CF, maybe.  But put the guy in CF who leaves the Sox with the best 2B/SS/CF defensive triad, regardless of who is established.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Need more power out of LF. CF, maybe.  But put the guy in CF who leaves the Sox with the best 2B/SS/CF defensive triad, regardless of who is established.

We are also going to be getting some pretty big power out of 2B and SS from Anderson and Moncada.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

20 HR power isn't enough? I seem to remember a World Series Champion that had a LF who hit 0 regular season HRs.

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

HE'LL NEVER HIT FOR POWER!

Lets see him do that against MLB talent in the minors. He's 5'7 how many of those guys are there in baseball?

I don't really have a problem taking him (more where he was taken) but unless he develops HR power he's going to be a light hitting SS/2B.

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

HE'LL NEVER HIT FOR POWER!

He won't. But as long as the power comes from elsewhere on the field, I don't think it will be an issue when you look at his OBP skills.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Lets see him do that against MLB talent in the minors. He's 5'7 how many of those guys are there in baseball?

I don't really have a problem taking him (more where he was taken) but unless he develops HR power he's going to be a light hitting SS/2B.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He won't. But as long as the power comes from elsewhere on the field, I don't think it will be an issue when you look at his OBP skills.

16 MLB players had 70+ extra base hits last year. He may never have a .300 ISO, but .150-.200 isn't out of the question, and that's pretty good.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We are also going to be getting some pretty big power out of 2B and SS from Anderson and Moncada.

I hate discussions of a player's weakness when it is shrugged off by saying other players make up for that. Other players IMO have nothing to do with Madrigal. Judge him on his own skill set. It's silly to say he has an absence of power (a negative) and shrug it off by saying we'll have other players supply the power. Who cares about that? Heaven forbid the other guys get injured or something. If Madrigal's lack of power is a problem it's a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I hate discussions of a player's weakness when it is shrugged off by saying other players make up for that. Other players IMO have nothing to do with Madrigal. Judge him on his own skill set. It's silly to say he has an absence of power (a negative) and shrug it off by saying we'll have other players supply the power. Who cares about that? Heaven forbid the other guys get injured or something. If Madrigal's lack of power is a problem it's a problem.

Good news: it's not a problem.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:26 PM, wrathofhahn said:

Another college guy yay. Why not take a more upside guy in Groshans or Stewart? Instead we draft yet another flawed college player.

Don't get me wrong I like Madrigal but he's a midget. He'll never hit for any power.

You do understand that's not how baseball works right? That's a hot take if I've ever seen one, my goodness 😂😂😂.

8 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

16 MLB players had 70+ extra base hits last year. He may never have a .300 ISO, but .150-.200 isn't out of the question, and that's pretty good.

I still think you are over estimating his power production.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I disagree. When putting together a winning team you need players with varied skill sets. Not everyone should be high power high strikeout guys. Teams need the high OBP type as well. There arent enough high OBP and high slugging guys around.

Can we pretend for a moment that Madrigal wasn't drafted for his power? In fact, let's not pretend. 

Sure Madrigal lacks HR power but his bat control, bat speed and running speed should lead to plenty of extra base hits which will bode well at the top of the order.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree. When putting together a winning team you need players with varied skill sets. Not everyone should be high power high strikeout guys. Teams need the high OBP type as well. There arent enough high OBP and high slugging guys around.

Exactly. Madrigal has all the tools to make a great table setter at the top of the lineup. 

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

Exactly. Madrigal has all the tools to make a great table setter at the top of the lineup. 

Everyone get their concerns out right now because when you get to watch him play you will love him. You'll be saying so this is how a baseball player is supposed to play the game. The game may have devolved into behemoths saying "ugh, me swing hard, smash ball "but at it's core are guys like Madrigal who lead by example and do all the little things that make the game so enjoyable. No pun intended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Everyone get their concerns out right now because when you get to watch him play you will love him. You'll be saying so this is how a baseball player is supposed to play the game. The game may have devolved into behemoths saying "ugh, me swing hard, smash ball "but at it's core are guys like Madrigal who lead by example and do all the little things that make the game so enjoyable. No pun intended.

Agreed. It makes me laugh that a lack of HR power is being pointed out. As if Madrigal has nothing else to offer lol.