White Sox select Nick Madrigal with 4th overall pick

Panerista

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know it is three days after we drafted the guy, but I am going to call a David Eckstein comp his floor.  He has already tools which are major league ready in his speed, his eye, and his bat.  If he develops any power at all, he goes to the next level.  As is, I think Nick is a guy who could put up .270/.350/.350 as is, while adding ++ defense at 2B.

Yeah, I agree with this.  But I think Nick has far better tools across the board than Eckstein ever had.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I agree with this.  But I think Nick has far better tools across the board than Eckstein ever had.

From everything I read, I would agree.  I think he has a chance to be a really good player at the major league level.  While I think the Altuve/Pedroia comps are best case scenarios, I don't see why he wouldn't have an Omar Vizquel to a Ray Durham kind of career.

The guy he reminds me of is a smaller version of Craig Biggio, with not as much power, but better contact skills and defense. Biggio was listed at 5'11" but Bagwell was 6 feet. Craig is significantly shorter, and they both have a bit of a leg kick.

I don't want to say he is going to be a HOFer, that's crazy, but I do think he is going to have a significant impact on winning games. 

Image result for craig biggio height

Edited by Dick Allen

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The guy he reminds me of is a smaller version of Craig Biggio, with not as much power, but better contact skills and defense. Biggio was listed at 5'11" but Bagwell was 6 feet. Craig is significantly shorter, and they both have a bit of a leg kick.

I don't want to say he is going to be a HOFer, that's crazy, but I do think he is going to have a significant impact on winning games. 

Biggio looks 5'7 with about 4 inches of forehead. 

10 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm one of the guys who think madrigal will hit 10-15 homers but is has to be noted that biggio and altuve are much stockier than madrigal. now madrigal could add some weight but many believe (for example longenhagen )he doesn't have the frame to add a lot of weight without getting less agile and fast.

madrigal isn't really just short but "small" while altuve is build like a little tank. altuve has always hit the ball pretty hard even at age 21 the homers came just by elevating the ball more.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

Ditto.  He is the best Offensive prospect in this draft at this time.  I have a pal in Oregon who really knows his baseball, and I asked him what he knew about Madrigal.  He said he has seen him about 20 times, and he is Sensational at everything.  Senfreakingsational.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I'm one of the guys who think madrigal will hit 10-15 homers but is has to be noted that biggio and altuve are much stockier than madrigal. now madrigal could add some weight but many believe (for example longenhagen )he doesn't have the frame to add a lot of weight without getting less agile and fast.

madrigal isn't really just short but "small" while altuve is build like a little tank. altuve has always hit the ball pretty hard even at age 21 the homers came just by elevating the ball more.

The guy has three home runs. It's silly to talk about him blasting 15-20 a season in MLB. That's fine. Not everybody has to mash home runs. But it's dumb to project home runs when he can't hit them with college bats.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The guy has three home runs. It's silly to talk about him blasting 15-20 a season in MLB. That's fine. Not everybody has to mash home runs. But it's dumb to project home runs when he can't hit them with college bats.

3 in 32 games projects to 15 in 160 games. Yay math.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

3 in 32 games projects to 15 in 160 games. Yay math.

You got wood bats in MLB. This guy obviously doesn't elevate. If he tries to hit home runs he'll have to reinvent himself.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

You got wood bats in MLB. This guy obviously doesn't elevate. If he tries to hit home runs he'll have to reinvent himself.

Adam Eaton hit like 1-2 home runs in his entire college career. College power numbers aren’t something you can really extrapolate on. 

10 hours ago, hi8is said:

Dudes gonna be an elite stud. Period. End of story. Beginning of an icon. Enjoy the ride.

#KoolaidDrinker

I feel like (and certainly hope) this is correct. I also feel like he's the type of player who will be a leader and keep problems out of the clubhouse.

We should anticipate that, by 2020, the infield will consist of Moncada, Anderson and Madrigal. The question is, where do those 3 best profile? Moncada's personal preference aside, it's pretty hard to refute the argument that the best use of those 3, would be Moncada at third, Anderson at SS and Madrigal at second. Does anyone have valid reasons, to the contrary?

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

We should anticipate that, by 2020, the infield will consist of Moncada, Anderson and Madrigal. The question is, where do those 3 best profile? Moncada's personal preference aside, it's pretty hard to refute the argument that the best use of those 3, would be Moncada at third, Anderson at SS and Madrigal at second. Does anyone have valid reasons, to the contrary?

Only thing I can think of is if you buy Machado (or Arenado), that kills part of his value.

10 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Only thing I can think of is if you buy Machado (or Arenado), that kills part of his value.

Machado is no longer the best use of the vast financial resources, which would be required to obtain him. I would much rather pursue Harper. He fits the Sox plan, much better. He is an outfielder and bats left handed. Those are two good reasons, for starters. In 2020, I could see Harper in RF, Robert in CF and Eloy in LF. 

10 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Edited by Lillian

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Machado is no longer the best use of the vast financial resources, which would be required to obtain him. I would much rather pursue Harper. He fits the Sox plan, much better. He is an outfielder and bats left handed. Those are two good reasons, for starters. In 2020, I could see Harper in RF, Robert in CF and Eloy in LF. 

There are way more OF in the system than IF. Your plan relies on Moncada, Anderson, and Madrigal to all be productive players. Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope they are, and having Madrigal in the org makes going after Harper more feasible, but I don't see the White Sox being willing to commit half a billion dollars to one player, and I think that's what it will take to get Harper.

43 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

There are way more OF in the system than IF. Your plan relies on Moncada, Anderson, and Madrigal to all be productive players. Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope they are, and having Madrigal in the org makes going after Harper more feasible, but I don't see the White Sox being willing to commit half a billion dollars to one player, and I think that's what it will take to get Harper.

Yes, the Sox have a lot of outfielders, but only Jimenez is really near ready. Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzales and maybe even Robert, are a ways away. Anderson and Moncada, are already establishing themselves on the parent club. Regarding Harper; if it will take that much money, to sign him, I agree with your assessment that it's hard to see the Sox making that kind of commitment, and I would echo their reluctance. Moreover, if both Moncada and Anderson turn out to not be productive players, this rebuild is going to be in serious jeopardy.

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I have been a huge proponent of this plan, even before the draft, because quite simply, Harper is better.  It will certainly cost more to sign him, but could well be worth it.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Yes, the Sox have a lot of outfielders, but only Jimenez is really near ready. Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzales and maybe even Robert, are a ways away. Anderson and Moncada, are already establishing themselves on the parent club. Regarding Harper; if it will take that much money, to sign him, I agree with your assessment that it's hard to see the Sox making that kind of commitment, and I would echo their reluctance. Moreover, if both Moncada and Anderson turn out to not be productive players, this rebuild is going to be in serious jeopardy.

You have Robert, Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe, Gonzalez, and Walker at a minimum that are legitimate OF candidates outside of Jimenez. That's 7 guys for 3 spots. If you're going to pay Harper, and it will likely be a half a billion dollar contract if you do pay him, you'd better do it with the plan of moving one of he or Jimenez to 1B or DH. That said, with Collins coming, you likely want to keep that DH slot open, so which one of Jimenez or Harper do you move to 1B under this plan?