Draft Day 2 Thread - Rounds 3-10 (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I ask for prep players, because they have the leverage.  And I don't think the Sox have taken any college seniors who have no leverage and  who they can ding for 10K and overspend on others.

Teams have so much intel on the targets they are projecting to take in the top 10 rounds and what they would need to sign. They aren't going into this blind.

I love the draft strategy so far. They went with pure baseball players with some upside in the first 3 rounds, then switched to loud tooled athletes who have played some baseball in the next few rounds. Round this off with some decent potential college seniors, then grab some signability concern loud talent tomorrow, and this will be one hell of a draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

I love the draft strategy so far. They went with pure baseball players with some upside in the first 3 rounds, then switched to loud tooled athletes who have played some baseball in the next few rounds. Round this off with some decent potential college seniors, then grab some signability concern loud talent tomorrow, and this will be one hell of a draft.

I agree with this....much better strategy than the Sox used to have.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hopefully a pick like this also helps in the slot savings department.

I'm not sure you can save enough at this point to make any real difference, especially on a junior.  I would like to see the Sox grab Tyler Cropley from Iowa, tough kid that has played up to every level he has been in. 

• Like 1

Love the weaver pick. Of the tools available, getting lucky on speed or velo in rounds 6-10 is great, especially on a prep pick. Really happy. Not expecting much, but the nice thing about prep is you don't have to worry about getting them on a rushed dev track. He can take his time in AZ and GF and move up when he's making progress.

Perez

South Florida’s closer, Perez has posted a 2.65 ERA in 34 innings this season and been seen regularly thanks to the presence of highly-touted lefthander Shane McClanahan. Perez is a talented southpaw in his own right, though he’s definitely a relief arm whereas McClanahan only might be. The 6-foot-1, 217-pound lefty throws a fastball that has been up to 95 regularly towards the end of the season, sitting in the 93-94 mph range in one inning starts and dropping down to 91-92 if he throws multiple innings. Perez’ breaking ball has also improved this spring, though it’s still just an average, 75-81 mph hard slurve, though Perez dubs it a slider. Perez could go in the latter half of the top 10 rounds thanks to a strikeout rate that’s been higher than 10 batters per nine innings each year in the American Athletic Conference and a significantly improved walk rate this spring.