Draft Day 2 Thread - Rounds 3-10 (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

17 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I want to hear the direct quote for that because we never heard Pilkington's name during the process so I wonder if he meant before the season he was in consideration.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is my interpretation.

That would make much more sense.

16 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I want to hear the direct quote for that because we never heard Pilkington's name during the process so I wonder if he meant before the season he was in consideration.

Yes, and if that was how we regarded him why wouldn’t we have drafted him in the second round rather than hoping he was there (again) 40 picks later?

36 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I love what Hostetler has done overall, but good god if they would have picked Pilkington @ 4 over the other talent on the board including Madrigal I would have been pretty discouraged in thinking this is the correct  group of evaluators to oversee this franchise.

3 minutes ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

I love what Hostetler has done overall, but good god if they would have picked Pilkington @ 4 over the other talent on the board including Madrigal I would have been pretty discouraged in thinking this is the correct  group of evaluators to oversee this franchise.

Scot Gregor has corrected himself and said Hostetler meant before the year, though he said some scouts had back of the first round grades on him. Hostetler also said they had first round grades on Steele Walker. Hostetler also said we have some bonus money left to go overslot tomorrow and he is aiming for a guy for their first pick tomorrow. 

Edited by GenericUserName

4 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Scot Gregor has corrected himself and said Hostetler meant before the year, though he said some scouts had back of the first round grades on him. Hostetler also said they had first round grades on Steele Walker. Hostetler also said we have some bonus money left to go overslot tomorrow and he is aiming for a guy for their first pick tomorrow. 

Phew.... that makes much more sense.

Thank You

6 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Cole Wilcox?

Just now, Butter Parque said:

Apparently the Sox's South Florida scout, Pepe Ortega "begged" for Delgado. Ortega has recommended Chris Sale, Alexei Ramirez, Alex Fernandez, Mike Lowell, and Gio Gonzalez. Not a bad list. 

We drafted Mike Lowell?

2 hours ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

A big part of me was hoping that they would cut an under slot deal with a prep player like Jordan Groshans for example and go crazy in the following rounds but I don’t know how well that strategy works when you don’t have comp/sandwich picks

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but I think out first pick tomorrow (which Hostetler says he has someone in mind for) is going to be Isaiah Carranza. I tried to look for similarities to other guys we drafted and think of who would be overslot, but not massively so. Carranza is a RHP from Azusa Pacific, which is a school we know Hostetler personally scouted this year. Carranza is a tranfer from Oregon and last year we picked several guys who transferred from bigger to smaller programs. Carranza is also ranked 166 in the pipeline rankings so he is well regarded and would probably need an above slot deal but he is also a junior so he wouldn't need a huge deal because if he turns it down he loses all leverage next year. His scouting report says he sits around 92 with his fastball but the video I saw had him sitting 94-96 from an easy delivery though the fastball is pretty straight. He has a good k/9 but he doesn't have great control so he walks too many guys and gives up more hits than he should, though he doesn't give up many home runs even though his home park looks like a launching pad based on his teammates stats. He seems like the perfect candidate for our pitching development to try to get his command under control and maybe add a cutter so his main fastball isn't so straight. He also has more of a projectable frame than you would anticipate for a college guy, so his stuff could even add another tick if he fills out in a better strength program. 

8 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but I think out first pick tomorrow (which Hostetler says he has someone in mind for) is going to be Isaiah Carranza. I tried to look for similarities to other guys we drafted and think of who would be overslot, but not massively so. Carranza is a RHP from Azusa Pacific, which is a school we know Hostetler personally scouted this year. Carranza is a tranfer from Oregon and last year we picked several guys who transferred from bigger to smaller programs. Carranza is also ranked 166 in the pipeline rankings so he is well regarded and would probably need an above slot deal but he is also a junior so he wouldn't need a huge deal because if he turns it down he loses all leverage next year. His scouting report says he sits around 92 with his fastball but the video I saw had him sitting 94-96 from an easy delivery though the fastball is pretty straight. He has a good k/9 but he doesn't have great control so he walks too many guys and gives up more hits than he should, though he doesn't give up many home runs even though his home park looks like a launching pad based on his teammates stats. He seems like the perfect candidate for our pitching development to try to get his command under control and maybe add a cutter so his main fastball isn't so straight. He also has more of a projectable frame than you would anticipate for a college guy, so his stuff could even add another tick if he fills out in a better strength program. 

Haven't heard as much talk recently about focusing on sinker ball pitchers with high K rates for those 81 home games at Guaranteed Rate Field.

6 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

This is a solid guess. Sox have drafted Ian Hamilton and Will Kincanon overslot in the 11th round the last two years. Zach Hess from LSU could be another option. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is a solid guess. Sox have drafted Ian Hamilton and Will Kincanon overslot in the 11th round the last two years. Zach Hess from LSU could be another option. 

I thought of Hess too (and I would love that pick) but a ton of the LSU guys are going back to school/keeping their commitment, so I wonder if they are all giving high numbers so they all go and have a loaded team to try and win the CWS next year.