Avi could start rehab stint next week

southsider2k5

22 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Anyone else kind of meh about him coming back? I like seeing others play like Palka (possible move to left when Garcia is back?).

He's going to take Thompson's ABs so that's good but overall yea I'm totally with you.  Avi is what he is.  He's like a bog standard 2 WAR RF.  He reminds me a lot of Melky.  Except Melky in his prime was able to produce a few more good seasons than Avi has so far.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

What is going to be interesting to me is to see if Palka's emergence, along with better play from Engel, convinces the Sox to take a smaller price on Avi, or to move him sooner, rather than wait and take another chance on him next year.

Just dump him.  Take an A ball lotto ticket  and move on.  The opportunity cost of keeping him is going to prevent the Sox from getting a long look at Palka and Leury.

Ideally he comes back from the injury in two weeks, plays well for a few weeks (or doesn't fall on his face) and he's moved.  Man, hard to believe we are already almost into mid June.

On 6/8/2018 at 2:04 AM, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

yeah but to be fair he only played 18 games and at least half of them probably were trying to play through injury. His first 9 games he hit .300, then the next 9 he hit .100, this probably can be attributed to the injury already.

He did overperform last year and was due to a regression but this years sample was probably mostly related to injury.

He  probably when healthy is a 105-110 wRC+ hitter which is above average but not the level he did last year fueled by a .390 babip

This is pretty fair. Might be a bit generous unless you can go back and find a game in which Avi pulled up lame to pinpoint exactly when he started feeling the effects of the hamstring before he was put on the DL.

I look forward to him re establishing some value if he can stay injury free for the rest of the year .  Just makes the line up much better. Palka can go to LF. We haven't him seen at 1st base either Rotate Palka between OF , 1B and DH . Rotate Davidson between DH, 1st base and 3rd base, Abreu between DH and 1st base. All 4 of Avi, Abreu, Davidson Palka get rest depending on match ups.

Guess we might be seeing Tilson CF soon ?

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is pretty fair. Might be a bit generous unless you can go back and find a game in which Avi pulled up lame to pinpoint exactly when he started feeling the effects of the hamstring before he was put on the DL.

I look forward to him re establishing some value if he can stay injury free for the rest of the year .  Just makes the line up much better. Palka can go to LF. We haven't him seen at 1st base either Rotate Palka between OF , 1B and DH . Rotate Davidson between DH, 1st base and 3rd base, Abreu between DH and 1st base. All 4 of Avi, Abreu, Davidson Palka get rest depending on match ups.

Guess we might be seeing Tilson CF soon ?

Tilson in CF in Charlotte, unless Engel needs a DL trip.  Especially when we get Avi and Delmonico back, along with Palka, you really do need a CF who has range and can catch a ball.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tilson in CF in Charlotte, unless Engel needs a DL trip.  Especially when we get Avi and Delmonico back, along with Palka, you really do need a CF who has range and can catch a ball.

The few ganez Ive seen Tilson in the OF, I think he can be a good CF.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I think Delmonico is going back to Charlotte when he is healthy. Thompson gets jettisoned . Tilson back in Charlotte too, when I'm not sure . Haven't figured out when Avi, Leury and Delmonico all are due back

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think Delmonico is going back to Charlotte when he is healthy. Thompson gets jettisoned . Tilson back in Charlotte too, when I'm not sure . Haven't figured out when Avi, Leury and Delmonico all are due back

Yeah, then it gets interesting.  For my two cents, I think it goes (assuming no other injuries)...

Trayce goes out first.  Tilson is next.  Throwing a wild card out there, I think the Sox drop another pitcher and finally start carrying another position player and one less pitcher.

So when everyone is healthy, does it shake it like this: Palka LF, Engel CF, Avi RF? DFA Thompson and have Leury on the bench but I'm not quite sure what they would do with Delmonico (unless Delmonico and Palka shared LF and DH and Davidson slid into a platoon role.

Edited by soxfan2014

I was pretty high on Avi being a middle of the order bat for the future of this team after last season. I don't doubt he can replicate what he did last year, but I think he's too much of an injury risk to count on him being a part of this team in the future. The guy misses at least a month every season due to some kind of injury. It's ridiculous. Plus the slow start to this season pre-injury...who knows what he will do when he comes back, but he only will have 3 months to show that last season was no fluke.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scoots said:

I was pretty high on Avi being a middle of the order bat for the future of this team after last season. I don't doubt he can replicate what he did last year, but I think he's too much of an injury risk to count on him being a part of this team in the future. The guy misses at least a month every season due to some kind of injury. It's ridiculous. Plus the slow start to this season pre-injury...who knows what he will do when he comes back, but he only will have 3 months to show that last season was no fluke.

Scoots I like your posts. You make sense here.

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

So what will the lineup look like when he comes back? Something like:

1. Moncada 2B

2. Sanchez 3B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Palka LF

5. Garcia RF

6. Davidson DH

7. Narvaez C

8. Anderson SS

9. Engel/Tilson CF

Yeah, with Leury spelling the outfielders often.

37 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

So what will the lineup look like when he comes back? Something like:

1. Moncada 2B

2. Sanchez 3B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Palka LF

5. Garcia RF

6. Davidson DH

7. Narvaez C

8. Anderson SS

9. Engel/Tilson CF

29 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Yeah, with Leury spelling the outfielders often.

And Smith doing most of the catching.

31 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Oh yeah forgot about Leury. So would he take the spot of a reliever to have a 4-man bench or replace Jose Rondon?

I forgot about Rondon haha. Leury will Probably replace Rondon. I don't think this rotation is trustworthy enough yet to allow for a 5th bench guy instead of an extra reliever.

Or, Thompson/Tilson 

Edited by Scoots

6 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I forgot about Rondon haha. Leury will Probably replace Rondon. I don't think this rotation is trustworthy enough yet to allow for a 5th bench guy instead of an extra reliever.

Or, Thompson/Tilson 

This team doesn't even have a 4th bench player haha currently it's an 8-man bullpen, backup catcher, Rondon, and whoever doesn't play out of Thompson, Engel, Tilson and Palka.

Edited by soxfan2014

I sometimes think that SoxTalk has memory of a fly.

All of a sudden we like Palka and Engel? And dump Garcia?

Last year it was let Engel rot and Garcia should be handed an extension... oh and that Nicky Delmonico can be a part of the future and that Davidson is a joke.

Then in the beginning of the year it was Davidson can be the DH of the future!! He gets hurt for a few weeks and all of a sudden it's play Palka over Davidson when Nicky and Avi return....

How about this? Really none of these guys are much better or worse than each other and put them on the Nationals or Cubs or Astros and they'd all be riding the bench or in AAA. If we want to be a team that really competes for it all each year I don't think many of these guys are part of it. Hopefully you find 2-3 players from this disaster of a 2-3 years of baseball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I sometimes think that SoxTalk has memory of a fly.

All of a sudden we like Palka and Engel? And dump Garcia?

Last year it was let Engel rot and Garcia should be handed an extension... oh and that Nicky Delmonico can be a part of the future and that Davidson is a joke.

Then in the beginning of the year it was Davidson can be the DH of the future!! He gets hurt for a few weeks and all of a sudden it's play Palka over Davidson when Nicky and Avi return....

How about this? Really none of these guys are much better or worse than each other and put them on the Nationals or Cubs or Astros and they'd all be riding the bench or in AAA. If we want to be a team that really competes for it all each year I don't think many of these guys are part of it. Hopefully you find 2-3 players from this disaster of a 2-3 years of baseball.

Uh, no.  Exactly one person wanted to extend Avi.  Literally no one else did.

• Like 1

True, that maybe wasn't the narrative, but my point is more or less that the general consensus of this board changes wildly.

Giolito in the spring vs. now

Covey the last year vs. Covey over the last 4 starts

On and on and on. Moncada gets it the worst. It's a rollercoaster.

Don't get me wrong their are qualities of some of these players that are very nice. Palka is hurting the ball. Davidson can swat homers. Moncada looks really good at times. Nicky can take some walks. Engel can chase them down. etc. etc.

What wins out in the end is TBD to me. I think it's based on what is needed on said 2019 and 2020  team. Do we need a guy who can crush homers cause we don't have much power, or do we need a guy who can take walks and get on base? Maybe we need defense in Center or speed on the bases. Again, I think we're only talking 2-3 guys from this group. It's TBD. So let them play and lets not overreact over one or two good weeks out of Palka. Theres a reason a lot of these guys haven't made it to the majors yet.