FS: Absolutely Go Into The Light

NorthSideSox72

2 hours ago, CyAcosta41 said:

Great insights. And Julie ... for realzzzz ... great writing!!!! I humor myself to think that I know just a little about GREAT writing. 

Thank you!! This was a fun one to write! Who would have guessed optimism feels better than pessimism?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DestroyBaseball said:

Thank you!! This was a fun one to write! Who would have guessed optimism feels better than pessimism?

This is a weird spot in the rebuild for this. On one hand, you look at a list of names and how well they're performing and you think, "How could this possibly fail? Look at all the positive results we're seeing." Then you see guys like Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, and even Lopez struggling and it gets harder to see the success happening. I imagine this is how Astros fans felt in 2014. Hopefully it works out similarly for the White Sox.

One thing that worries me as these kids progress through the system is that Sox will have some very tough 40 man roster decisions  to make in a year or three, and we will lose some of these players to Rule V.

23 minutes ago, oldsox said:

One thing that worries me as these kids progress through the system is that Sox will have some very tough 40 man roster decisions  to make in a year or three, and we will lose some of these players to Rule V.

One bit of good news on that: the Kannapolis team is made up primarily of 2017 draftees who played college ball, so those guys will likely have made it to the bigs or washed out before they gain Rule V eligibility.

28 minutes ago, oldsox said:

If you do a good enough job, yeah, you’re going to lose a number of good players and you’re also going to have a significant talent pool to trade off the surplus...as the Astros have done with guys like Domingo Santana/Brett Phillips (for Carlos Gomez) and, in particular, the Verlander trade that pushed them over the top last summer.    Players like Singleton, Grossman and Preston Tucker were all casualties of the roster crunch.  Jonathan Villar, yet another player that was traded.   Astros kept trucking along, right?

We’ve seen the exact thing happen to the Cubs’ wealth of position prospects over the last 2 years...to an extreme, because you’re talking sacrificing at least 2 franchise talents in Torres/Jimenez, another potential one in Cease, not to mention Candelario, Soler, Villanueva, etc.  It’s a normal sign of an organization functioning on all cyclinders...of course, even then, you end up with roster crunches where you simply can’t afford to pay 6-8 “young core” guys extensions in free agency when you already have the Lester/Heyward/Darvish contracts on the books (and try to add Machado/Harper as well?)

7 hours ago, oldsox said:

Whenever that happens to me in OOTP I know my club is loaded :).  But yea, it will be something to think about and plan around.