CWS Games of Drafted Prospects

GenericUserName

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Yikes, bad game for Madrigal. Seemed to be trying to do too much tonight 

Hasn't been great in the CWS final, but I bet he has a big game tonight. He's a born leader and that's what leaders do.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not sure who's pressing more, Arkansas or Madrigal. 0-2 with strikeout 

I’m going to forget about what I’ve seen so far from Madrigal...a lot of weak contact, and even when he squares it up, it doesn’t fly. But his pitch recognition is great, and not striking out will be his biggest strength. 

Just now, flavum said:

I’m going to forget about what I’ve seen so far from Madrigal...a lot of weak contact, and even when he squares it up, it doesn’t fly. But his pitch recognition is great, and not striking out will be his biggest strength. 

Yep one thing I've been concerned about all along with Madrigal is if he hits it in the air, it's likely an out.  He's definitely going to be a guy that needs the bapip gods to smile down on him to have strong offensive seasons.  His ISO isn't likely to be special.

I knew this was coming.  Heimlich and Madrigal have both been largely disappointing, compared to the other “Big 3” of Grenier, Larnach and Rutschman.

Who knows, with JR’s unpredictability, we might have three of those players by this time next year...(it’s not like we have a plethora of quality LH arms in our system.  Waits to be attacked for being too pragmatic and condoning “child molestation.”)

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yep one thing I've been concerned about all along with Madrigal is if he hits it in the air, it's likely an out.  He's definitely going to be a guy that needs the bapip gods to smile down on him to have strong offensive seasons.  His ISO isn't likely to be special.

If he can maintain a low K rate, his BABIP and average will track closely, and his speed is conducive to producing above average BABIP numbers. If he's hitting .300, a league average ISO (.150) and walk rate (7-8%) makes him an .800 OPS player. Combine that with good defense and it's a 4+ WAR player.

I’m much more confident at this point in Madrigal being a Gold Glove defender at 2B than Moncada...even though Moncada has all the raw tools in the world to be that kind of fielder.   The problem is the consistency.    Madrigal is already a finished product, whereas Moncada is learning on the job (and teaching fundamentals/defense at the big league level is not exactly our forte.)