6/9 Games

BamaDoc

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Cease has 7 K’s through 5. Has allowed 2 ER and both were homers.

How much longer does he stay in W-S? He's 22 so I think it might be a good thought to see how he does in Birmingham after the Carolina League ASG. They can still build up his innings in Birmingham. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

How much longer does he stay in W-S? He's 22 so I think it might be a good thought to see how he does in Birmingham after the Carolina League ASG. They can still build up his innings in Birmingham. 

They really havent promoted anyone who deserves it. There must be a mass migration happening soon with around 15 players moving.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Collins and Eloy struck out looking in the first. Barons manager Ryan Newman ejected in the second inning,

Umpires- Mr. Collins will let you know if it's a strike.

Good to know that the AA manager has a pair of nads but the MLB manager does not

Edited by soxfan49

57 minutes ago, flavum said:

Collins and Eloy struck out looking in the first. Barons manager Ryan Newman ejected in the second inning,

Umpires- Mr. Collins will let you know if it's a strike.

Flavum, I love that old quote from George Will's "Men At Work". It was an umpire's response to a frustrated rookie pitcher, who could not get a called strike, while pitching to Roger Hornsby, if I recall correctly.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Dunning 6.2 5H 1ER 2BB 7K 99 pitches 71 strikes. ERA sitting at 3.22 after a little bit of a rough start to the season.

I think we are finally seeing how you produce quality MLB talent through your farm: you have enough top end quality and depth that when one guy falters or needs more development time another guy steps up and meanwhile you can afford to be patient.  Obviously the proof is going to be 2020-2025ish but so far so good this year.

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think we are finally seeing how you produce quality MLB talent through your farm: you have enough top end quality and depth that when one guy falters or needs more development time another guy steps up and meanwhile you can afford to be patient.  Obviously the proof is going to be 2020-2025ish but so far so good this year.

Good points man. Examples would be Fulmer struggled while Covey stepped up. Another I speculate on is Shields eventually being moved or released and Stephens taking his place.

3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Blackman with another solid game in Kanny...3-5 with a double and HR. I’m starting to get a little intrigued by him.

I would be more intrigued if he weren't so old for his league. He is one of many who desperately needs a promotion. 

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Everyone’s going to move after their respective league All-Star games...

2/3 for Robert, 6/20 now.  Caught stealing, seems they’re not restricting his baserunning.

Amazing he can come right in after barely playing any ball in the last couple years and when he did he got injured 2 or 3 times and just start hitting. He has a lot of talent . I'd love to see him in W-S in early July to see how he does. No sense in thinking beyond that for now.

Hitting and fielding aren't the only skills that need developing. Running and stealing does too.

From the box score, the second caught stealing was Robert being picked off.

He’d been sacrificed to 2B after reaching on an infield error...so he was the go-ahead run in the Top of the 9th and was either stealing third or trying to get too big of a lead.  No need there to force something when a runner with his speed can score on almost any ball to the outfield with either 1 or 2 outs.   You don’t steal third unless you’re sure, and he’d already been caught stealing once earlier in the game.  Just goes to show “elite” speed and basestealing instincts don’t always go together, especially when he’s missed so much playing time the last two years.

Edited by caulfield12

• bmags unpinned this topic