2018-2019 Official NBA thread

I don't understand why Phoenix would take Ayton when the obvious best player here is Doncic. He (1) can sell tickets (2) be a must-watch guy on a nightly basis (3) is still incredibly young and (4) most importantly, is 6'8" with handles and a good shot making him a perfect all-around pick and roll player in today's NBA. 

Is it just so they don't piss off Devon Booker?

Edited by Jenksismyhero

1 hour ago, Brian said:

The Ringer? *fart noise*

If the Bulls take Knox at 7 over Wendell Carter, I'll be super pissed. More than I was when they took Valentine.

Kevin O'Connor is very good.

I feel like my aversion to Carter will burn me but I just can't get excited about a pick like that. Certainly could be a super valuable piece of a team but would be okay shooting for stars with Knox instead of him.

i'm not giving up the 7th pick to get Parson and the 4th pick. Parsons makes us irrelevant in next years free agency class. I'm okay with that, but we are getting the 4th pick and keeping our 7th pick and all of our primary assets. They can have a Bobby Portis or Denzel and nothing more. I don't see Memphis making that deal. Now I'd probably do the 22 for Parsons and the 4th.  Parsons deal is awful and basically means we have a few more years of building through the draft.  

51 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

If he drops and the Bulls could put a package together for Memphis' 4th pick - take on the Parsons contract, the 7th pick, and a 2nd rd pick, I would absolutely do it.

+1000. The bulls have the cap flexibility to do this and should definitely do it if they have the opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Right, the Bulls shouldn't be getting crazy on taking on deals that affect 2 years from now. BUT, if they can get a valuable asset for taking on money for THIS season, they absolutely should. They need to get creative and aggressive here. 

I think they also should be exploring every potential avenue in terms of a "get great quick" scenario as well. They should have already outlined strategies to max out on free agency/trade assets today and hypothetical that get them great quicker too. Cause those options could always be out there. You never know what scenarios can present themselves at any point.  

Somewhere I have a sneaking urge that the Bulls have an alternative aggressive plan that is out there and hasn't been publicized (smartly too because if they said they were going to go for it all this off-season, they'd be crucified when it didn't happen (since any of such scenario would be a longshot).  I feel they have so much downplayed this off-season from a PR perspective that I really can't believe they haven't laid out a variety of scenarios and plans to aggressively attack various free agent/trade fronts.  Especially with us sitting on the #7 pick.

They need to be patient and smart (and understand all the implications of any move they make (or don't make), but they also need to (and I am sure they do) have mapped out a hundred + scenarios of what-ifs around possible opportunities that could emerge (and how and what you would to do pivot for them). Draft like they draft...but channel their inner Morey on being aggressive and not just sticking to a "timeline" for the sake of a "timeline".  

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

i'm not giving up the 7th pick to get Parson and the 4th pick. Parsons makes us irrelevant in next years free agency class. I'm okay with that, but we are getting the 4th pick and keeping our 7th pick and all of our primary assets. They can have a Bobby Portis or Denzel and nothing more. I don't see Memphis making that deal. Now I'd probably do the 22 for Parsons and the 4th.  Parsons deal is awful and basically means we have a few more years of building through the draft.  

It'll never happen, but the 1-22, a second rounder, and eating Parsons should be enough for the 4.

Depends on how the bulls scout who is available at 4 (*shudders*). If they think "their guy" is there, one that is special across drafts, then you do it.

Asik rolls off salary next year with a $3 mill buyout. You could trade off Lavine's salary to either get relief or trade exception to acquire an expensive good player.

But, we'll see. 

Remember guys, its the Bulls. When they traded Butler they actually had to give up their first round pick in the deal. Or lets not forget that amazing trade for Doug McDermott. 

So my guess is that they would probably do something like Parsons + 4 and Bulls give up both firsts this year and a protected first next year.

Then we can all kill ourselves again and wonder why we ever gave them a chance. 

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Bulls have reportedly had conversations about moving up from 7 to 3 or 4.  

Wonder if they fear Porter going earlier and want to move up to assure they get him or get Bag/Jackson? Like Chappas says, Bulls don't do stuff like that so I'm not holding my breath.

Just saw rumor is they want to move up for Bamba.

Edited by Brian

If they trade up to take Bamba I might actually have to go through with one of my many threats to just stop being a Bulls fan. If Bamba is there at 7 and Porter isn't, ok, but if you trade up to take Bamba over one of these other studs that's it.

16 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Reports over last few weeks has Bamba stock rising and MPJ stock falling, with concerns around his health, athleticism, and offensive ceiling.

I for one wouldn't be upset if we take Bamba over MPJ.

I have no problem with Bamba at 7. I just feel like trading up to 4 to get him (especially with how much the Bulls tend to give up in draft day trades) seems counterproductive.

For the sake of argument, lets presume no way Ayton, Bagley or Doncic gets to 7. The Bulls are guaranteed 1 of Jackson, Bamba, Porter or Carter. I just dont see a huge drop off with any of them, and I think arguments can be made about which of those 4 are the best.

The only way I really would be considering moving up is for Doncic. And the optimum for the Bulls is somehow to obtain 2 top 7 picks and being able to draft Doncic + another. That scenario is pretty far fetched though as it depends on 2 teams passing on Doncic. A lot of mocks have that happening, but again, pretty big risk.

As someone that's had to deal up close with MPJ for about a year, I'd be glad to get him but not gonna lie I do have severe worries that he's soft and would never play through pain.

33 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I have no problem with Bamba at 7. I just feel like trading up to 4 to get him (especially with how much the Bulls tend to give up in draft day trades) seems counterproductive.

For the sake of argument, lets presume no way Ayton, Bagley or Doncic gets to 7. The Bulls are guaranteed 1 of Jackson, Bamba, Porter or Carter. I just dont see a huge drop off with any of them, and I think arguments can be made about which of those 4 are the best.

The only way I really would be considering moving up is for Doncic. And the optimum for the Bulls is somehow to obtain 2 top 7 picks and being able to draft Doncic + another. That scenario is pretty far fetched though as it depends on 2 teams passing on Doncic. A lot of mocks have that happening, but again, pretty big risk.

It depends on what the Bulls value. For example Carter doesn't project to be the same caliber of defender that Bamba is, while he might have a higher floor on the offensive end.

I honestly don't think we will part of future picks to move up to 4th, especially since Memphis's primary motive is to move Parson's contract. I think it's justifiable if we swap Felicio and Parson's contract to move up 3 slots.