2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Asked if he would consider sitting out the entire 2018-19 season to recover, he said, "I wouldn't want to but like I said, when you get to the NBA, it's a business and it could be up to the team I get drafted by."

"Would you consider sitting out your whole career?" "If my agent says that's not really in my hands"

That would literally be him sitting out two seasons, given he basically sat out an entire college basketball season already. Love his potential but that is a big if for me with some already strong players out there. If he is odds on favorite to miss the whole season, than I'm taking another player (too many other strong prospects available for that to happen). The only bright side to sitting him is if you are full blown tank (and believe in his LT health) is that you stack up another really bad year (cause you get no immediate help from a top draft pick).  

We know my views on tanking so I'd hate if the new trend was to sit guys for full seasons to work on the sidelines (vs. play) purely for the sake of tanking (or just an extreme abundance of caution).  

28 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Hes saying this stuff so he doesnt get drafted by teams he doesnt want to play for. The only team who actually got to do his physical was the Bulls.  

Not sure why or how the Bulls got pegged for that, but the story also quoted the dad as saying any team could watch him in a workout and inspect his back and they would all get a copy of the Bull's medical report. So he's not keeping his status a secret or giving the Bulls any special advantage.

https://www.blogabull.com/2018/6/7/17436324/chicago-bulls-conducted-physical-for-michael-porter-jr

• A quick note on Porter Jr. In the KMOX interview, Porter Sr. said his oldest son has not yet released his medical information to NBA teams but underwent a physical by the Chicago Bulls medical team last Thursday. He’ll host a pro day this Friday in Chicago that’s open to any team that’s interested in watching him work out. The following week the teams drafting in the top 10 will have another day to see him up close and inspect his surgically repaired back. The Porters will share the Bulls’ medical report with every other NBA team, Porter Sr. said. The Bulls have the seventh overall pick.

Edited by Jenksismyhero

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Not sure why or how the Bulls got pegged for that, but the story also quoted the dad as saying any team could watch him in a workout and inspect his back and they would all get a copy of the Bull's medical report. So he's not keeping his status a secret or giving the Bulls any special advantage.

https://www.blogabull.com/2018/6/7/17436324/chicago-bulls-conducted-physical-for-michael-porter-jr

Jenks,

Thats exactly what I was saying. The only team who actually got to do their own physical was the Bulls. Everyone is just relying on the Bulls report.

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Hes saying this stuff so he doesnt get drafted by teams he doesnt want to play for. The only team who actually got to do his physical was the Bulls.  

I think it's a possibility but also risky. He could have played the season at Mizzou, the doctors said he could rehab through the pain, instead he took back surgery to be fixed and then he "plays injured" to get to Bulls? I'm personally nervous about that.

He seems like a nice kid and I hope he is awesome but there are some flags on this pick.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it's a possibility but also risky. He could have played the season at Mizzou, the doctors said he could rehab through the pain, instead he took back surgery to be fixed and then he "plays injured" to get to Bulls? I'm personally nervous about that.

He seems like a nice kid and I hope he is awesome but there are some flags on this pick.

If they were drafting in the top 3 or 4, I would agree, but if Wendell Carter is the other option, take your chances with Porter. You win with stars. Carter might be a nice player, but not a star. If everything goes right with Porter, he at least could be a star. That is assuming his medicals aren't horrific. Scottie Pippen had a bad back as a young player.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, bmags said:

No, I agree at 7 it's worth the risk.

JR and his agent are pretty tight. I'm sure the Bulls know what the deal is with his back, and hips can be related to backs. In fact, my dad was told he needed hip replacement surgery. He went for a second opinion and found out his hip was fine a problem with his back was causing the pain in his hip. Obviously you pass if the doctors say no, but if they are reasonably optimistic, it could make up for their winning streak and bad luck in the lottery.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If they were drafting in the top 3 or 4, I would agree, but if Wendell Carter is the other option, take your chances with Porter. You win with stars. Carter might be a nice player, but not a star. If everything goes right with Porter, he at least could be a star. That is assuming his medicals aren't horrific. Scottie Pippen had a bad back as a young player.

No brainer if you are picking him at 7 (and comparing those others). If I am picking him at 3 or 4, I'm going to have major questions. It is why there could be a very distinct possibility that he does end up falling to the Bulls.  That said, I still can't see him going all the way to 7.  

2 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

At 7 I think the risk of Porter is fine. Carter v Porter is a tough one. I think Carter is a solid player no matter what, but maybe never a superstar. Porter could be a superstar, he could be nothing. 

Carter has the feel of that player who is extremely undervalued that is good at everything and ends up becoming very good at some things (and becomes a very good player). In general, I tend to like a lot of the guys we have on the radar. The only major boom-bust guy i see is Trae Young. Don't even know where to begin with him.  

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Carter has the feel of that player who is extremely undervalued that is good at everything and ends up becoming very good at some things (and becomes a very good player). In general, I tend to like a lot of the guys we have on the radar. The only major boom-bust guy i see is Trae Young. Don't even know where to begin with him.  

The more I look at Carter, the more I like him. Its a strange situation because he played with Bagley who could so easily dominate the college game. But in a strange way I think Carter could be a more effective NBA player due to his outside game and that he is a more natural defender in the post.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/18/17473842/wendell-carter-marvin-bagley-duke-nba-draft

And I want absolutely nothing to do with Young. It could be like passing on Curry, but there is just something about him that makes worry. Seems like a thinner Ben Gordon. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would the Grizzlies take Portis, Felicio, #22, and an unprotected 2019 1st rounder for #4 & Parsons?  Would love to get Bamba or JJJ at #4 & MJP at #7 (assuming medically are acceptable).

Yes and if the Bull traded an unprotected 1st wed have to start posting the suicide prevention hotline. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would the Grizzlies take Portis, Felicio, #22, and an unprotected 2019 1st rounder for #4 & Parsons?  Would love to get Bamba or JJJ at #4 & MJP at #7 (assuming medically are acceptable).

I am not trading an unprotected 1st rounder next year. I would make that type of trade and think it potentially works but as much as I love the idea of having two picks...I'm not trading a fully unprotected 1st rounder next year (protected with adjusting protections sure...but not a fully unproteted pick).  

Now I would be open to rights to swap picks and other things (in terms of a future 1st rounder) but we aren't good enough that I'm giving up fully unprotected lottery picks.  I would absolutely love finding a way to get a 2nd top 7 pick in this draft.  I legitimately think the 22, Portis, and Denzel would be an interesting package for Parsons & 4.  $50M over a couple years is a lot of cash to absorb (and has a major impact on our ability to be players). 

If not that, I'm looking at the Lakers and doing what I need to to help facilitate cap space for them. Teams who are looking for cap space are going to be more willing to give up picks (whether CYpicks or future 1st rounders) and the Bulls should be as creative as possible at adding those assets (while being cognizant of long term repercussions from a cap perspective.  

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Yes and if the Bull traded an unprotected 1st wed have to start posting the suicide prevention hotline. 

So are you saying you'd do it, but know there would be people like me who wouldn't be pleased about giving up an unprotected future 1st (on top of 22)?  Cause you are right :); 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

So are you saying you'd do it, but know there would be people like me who wouldn't be pleased about giving up an unprotected future 1st (on top of 22)?  Cause you are right :); 

IMO, there is far more upside for us than downside.  A core of Dunn, Lavine, MJP, Markkanen, & JJJ/Bamba is a pretty good starting point.  Plus by offsetting Felicio, I think we should still be able to afford a max free agent next offseason by using the stretch provision on Parsons.  I may be in the minority here, but I’d much rather give up an unprotected pick for next year than the 7th overall this year. 

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Haha

Im saying the Griz would do it in a second, and Bulls fans (including myself) would be in need of suicide prevention.

And hopefully the Bulls arent going to trade the 7th for the 4th + Parsons. It would have to be the 22 plus another asset (Lavine/whoever) for the 4th and Parsons. I know Lavine cant be traded right away, but he is the ideal one to move, because I really dont want to give him a max.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

IMO, there is far more upside for us than downside.  A core of Dunn, Lavine, MJP, Markkanen, & JJJ/Bamba is a pretty good starting point.  Plus by offsetting Felicio, I think we should still be able to afford a max free agent next offseason by using the stretch provision on Parsons.  I may be in the minority here, but I’d much rather give up an unprotected pick for next year than the 7th overall this year. 

Dunn-Lavine-MPJ-Markkanen-Bamba would be an amazing rebuild core. But if Porter develops slowly and Bamba takes time to learn offense, you risk that being an extremely valuable pick next year.

If it was Top 3 protected, done.

22 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Haha

Im saying the Griz would do it in a second, and Bulls fans (including myself) would be in need of suicide prevention.

And hopefully the Bulls arent going to trade the 7th for the 4th + Parsons. It would have to be the 22 plus another asset (Lavine/whoever) for the 4th and Parsons. I know Lavine cant be traded right away, but he is the ideal one to move, because I really dont want to give him a max.

I still stick to my guns that Lavine is not getting the max (or anything that close to the max). I would dangle Lavine in a deal but I don't think Memphis is biting on that (don't think they are at that point). I think the Bulls would need to get another team involved and gain an additional 1st round pick somehow to sweeten the deal to make it work (ie., take one two bad contracts while dumping Felicio or something) and packaging the extra pick with #22 to get to #7.  

21 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Dunn-Lavine-MPJ-Markkanen-Bamba would be an amazing rebuild core. But if Porter develops slowly and Bamba takes time to learn offense, you risk that being an extremely valuable pick next year.

If it was Top 3 protected, done.

I'll throw out another scenario. What if Bulls are trading #7 for #4, Parsons, and an unprotected pick in next year's draft? Bulls move up and get there guy, double-down on assets next year (plus keep #22).  

This is something I could get my arms around and which would seem somewhat fair.  Bulls probably need to sweeten a bit.  

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'll throw out another scenario. What if Bulls are trading #7 for #4, Parsons, and an unprotected pick in next year's draft? Bulls move up and get there guy, double-down on assets next year (plus keep #22).  

This is something I could get my arms around and which would seem somewhat fair.  Bulls probably need to sweeten a bit.  

Bulls would probably have to include Portis, but I'd be down for that.

41 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Id be fine with that. I mean I dont mind adding salary at all. I dont think the Bulls are going to get a top tier FA this summer, and you can always worry about dumping salary next year if things are progressing well. I really doubt Memphis gives up an unprotected, maybe a top 10 protected. 

8 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Haha

I agree with everything here, Brian.