2018-2019 Official NBA thread

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is why the only thing that will upset me this offseason would be if they handed out some ridiculous contract to minimal upside players. Lavine & Nwaba will probably be the two contracts the Bulls give out and as long as they aren't going "max type" money on Lavine I'm okay with that (and similarly as long as Nwaba is in that 5-6M camp that should be fine and a totally moveable deal if new FA's want to come).  I'm not ready to give up on Lavine, but I will admit, there will be some risk to that deal.  

If they give out $5-6M on Nwaba and vastly greater than that on Lavine, even if it's not "max money", then there's no way they can offer 2 max deals next offseason. The difference between the $11 million I counted to get them "right on the border" of 2 max deals and $3 million in the buyout is $8 million, if $5 of that goes to Nwaba then they can't sign Lavine for more than $3 million and still be able to make 2 max offers. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they give out $5-6M on Nwaba and vastly greater than that on Lavine, even if it's not "max money", then there's no way they can offer 2 max deals next offseason. The difference between the $11 million I counted to get them "right on the border" of 2 max deals and $3 million in the buyout is $8 million, if $5 of that goes to Nwaba then they can't sign Lavine for more than $3 million and still be able to make 2 max offers. 

if the Bulls can convince two worthy players to max contracts, they will be able to move contracts around.  They have enough contracts which are movable, they can make extra space if needed.

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not outright...you'd just have to manage your cap and make some trades to create the space.  I think the key is making sure you have contracts that you move to the extent that you need to do cap gymnastics.  You need to know you can do it...so that if you get two max guys in, you are able to go execute on some trades. Now if one of those contracts is a Luol Deng type contract...than you might have issues, but if it is a quality player at a fair rate, you shouldn't have any issue moving them.  

7 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Rodney Hood. Typical Bulls target. I really hope we don’t overpay or use his signing as a way to justify letting Lavine walk.

Exactly. Same philosophy as always.  Either they are going to use him against Lavine or they are trying to get to a roster that might make the second round of the playoffs and that's good enough for them.

I don't know what the deal is with Rodney Hood. Everyone seems to love him, and when he has a horrible game, everyone makes excuses for him.,

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Some rumblings that the Sacramento Kings are going to make a big money offer to Lavine.  

First thing I thought is this may be proof that he's not a very good player.

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bulls gonna Bulls.

The Butler deal continues to circle the drain.

Why? What exactly have they screwed up since the Butler deal?  Did they screw up the 7th overall draft pick a year ago when they arguably got one of the 3 best players in the draft?  Did they not get quality development out of Dunn this past year?  Lavine has to still be evaluated but that shouldn't be a major surprise given he was coming back from an ACL injury.  

Yes, the Bulls didn't suck as bad as everyone expected but they got two quality picks in this past draft.  

So people wanted us to suck and now they are knocking on the Butler deal?  I thought there was only a very small minority who were against the Butler deal?  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why? What exactly have they screwed up since the Butler deal?  Did they screw up the 7th overall draft pick a year ago when they arguably got one of the 3 best players in the draft?  Did they not get quality development out of Dunn this past year?  Lavine has to still be evaluated but that shouldn't be a major surprise given he was coming back from an ACL injury.  

Yes, the Bulls didn't suck as bad as everyone expected but they got two quality picks in this past draft.  

So people wanted us to suck and now they are knocking on the Butler deal?  I thought there was only a very small minority who were against the Butler deal?  

The Butler deal was terrible the day they made it.  I know I was against it.  The top player they got was an athlete first player with a torn ACL who was two years from full free agency.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Butler deal was terrible the day they made it.  I know I was against it.  The top player they got was an athlete first player with a torn ACL who was two years from full free agency.

Just wait until Butler comes back next season ;) 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, that bridge was pretty well torched, unless things at the top change very unexpectedly.

It actually wasn't that torched. There have been all kinds of talk about how Butler still likes Chicago and that the relationships are generally fine. The only major question would be Hoiberg.  Players respect the heck out of Pax.  I have heard that from a number of people who are extremely well connected to the NBA.  

6 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I have no idea how a player like Lavine is commanding big bucks. The guy is a good athlete and an interesting player, but he is no where near a centerpiece to a championship team.

The dunk contest. Quick, easy PR to excite thirsty fanbases 

On 6/28/2018 at 10:52 AM, Chisoxfn said:

I think you're giving too much credit to this FO.

The biggest offense was resigning Mirotic when their goal was to tank and rebuild. This is a well known symptom with the Bulls for many years, that they simply cannot  let average players go for nothing, even though it doesn't align with the goal of the team. Which is why I fully expect them to overpay and retain Lavine. Had we not had the Mirotic effect, we likely be looking at a 1st or 2nd pick. When it's all said and done, but we effectively moved up from 37th pick to the 22nd pick while taking on $14M future salary. But moved up from the worst record to the 6/7th worst.

Second biggest offense is after we lucked into getting Bell at a spot much lower than most expected him to go, we sold him for cash considerations. General consensus was this is a bad move at the time (not revisionist history). Bell now looks like the next Clint Capela with maybe even more impact defensively and a better passer. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a top 10-15 pick this draft.

Third biggest offense was poor talent evaluation and overpaid for Felicio who has only shown glimpse of potential but as the same time limitations. The worst part is locking him up for 4 years.

I'm also surprised they couldn't at least get rid of Holiday, or even Lopez, but I will cut them some slack on this one.

So had these moves not screwed up for us, we'd like be looking at a core of Bell/Lauri/Doncic/Dunn with money for 2 max players this and next year.

I'll give credit to them for hitting the the Lauri pick and buying low on Dunn. But they haven't gotten much right for this rebuild ever since.

• Like 1