2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Conspiracy theories say it's a 4 year deal that ends when his kid graduates high school and if he can enter the draft by then straight out of HS, Lebron signs with whomever drafts him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brian said:

Conspiracy theories say it's a 4 year deal that ends when his kid graduates high school and if he can enter the draft by then straight out of HS, Lebron signs with whomever drafts him.

Could be. I think signing with the Lakers shows Lebron is more concerned about life after basketball than winning 1-2 more championships. Its possible he doesnt even make the NBA finals in that time.

With Paul George off the table, I think Spurs are more likely to deal Leonard to Lakers if the Lakers pay their price. Spurs have bigger threats than the Lakers, so might as well make the best deal possible. 

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Could be. I think signing with the Lakers shows Lebron is more concerned about life after basketball than winning 1-2 more championships. Its possible he doesnt even make the NBA finals in that time.

With Paul George off the table, I think Spurs are more likely to deal Leonard to Lakers if the Lakers pay their price. Spurs have bigger threats than the Lakers, so might as well make the best deal possible. 

From what they were talking about last night, with cap considerations, it is nearly impossible to get Kawhi to the Lakers after they signings they made.  The Spurs aren't going to be willing to take on enough money in the garbage contracts the Lakers have to make a deal work.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

From what they were talking about last night, with cap considerations, it is nearly impossible to get Kawhi to the Lakers after they signings they made.  The Spurs aren't going to be willing to take on enough money in the garbage contracts the Lakers have to make a deal work.

I think they will need a 3rd team to take some garbage for younger players/draft picks. 

IE Deng + Ball or Ingram. 

The problem is that depletes the offer to Spurs. Seems like the Lakers are kind of stuck.

47 minutes ago, Brian said:

I don't think conspiracy theory is the right word. Bronny is committing to an LA school which makes the Lakers make more sense. LBJ has already stated he wants to play with his kid when he gets in the league. That's that. 

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think they will need a 3rd team to take some garbage for younger players/draft picks. 

The problem is that depletes the offer to Spurs. Seems like the Lakers are kind of stuck.

My guess is the Spurs would be interested in Ingram and assets. Take Ball and Deng.

Just now, Steve9347 said:

My guess is the Spurs would be interested in Ingram and assets. Take Ball and Deng.

Which is fine if the Bulls are giving up a 2nd or some garbage.

Also Rotoworld seems to think the Lakers can get Leonard and Cousins, so not sure how legitimate any of this cap stuff is. 

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

On a side note, I would love to see the Bulls pick up a deal and get draft picks or one of the Lakers young players to do it to facilitate a deal like this.  Make that cap space turn into assets.

55 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Which is fine if the Bulls are giving up a 2nd or some garbage.

Also Rotoworld seems to think the Lakers can get Leonard and Cousins, so not sure how legitimate any of this cap stuff is. 

Pretty impossible from what I saw last night.

59 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

I don't think conspiracy theory is the right word. Bronny is committing to an LA school which makes the Lakers make more sense. LBJ has already stated he wants to play with his kid when he gets in the league. That's that. 

"Conspiracy Theory" is actually 2 words! DUUUUUUURRRR! :P

What is the realistic chance the Bulls ever compete for a title again? Don' they basically have to luck out and draft an icon? Free agent wise, Chicago isn't going to be a destination. Maybe they realize this and figure 45-55 wins and a series or two in the playoffs is the most realistic. 

I actually think it is going to be pretty unlikely the two teams work out a deal (at least before the season starts). It appears that cap wise the Lakers are basically going to roll into the year with the team currently designed, outside of some possible maneuvering our Julius Randle, Ingram and Ball.  

1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I don't understand the Lance Stephenson and Javell Mcgee signings at all. If you want high basketball IQ, neither of those guys offer that. 

The only good thing about the moves the Lakers made after signing Lebron was that they were 1 year deals. Otherwise, from a basketball perspective, they were bad moves (good if you don't like the Lakers like I do).  

Exactly...they need to move Deng, but if they move Deng, that means the Lakers are giving up multiple 1st to the team who absorbs that contract (or they are getting a player like Ingram) and than that means they have less to offer the Spurs.  Basically, unless the price tag drops dramatically, I don't see a deal happening between Lakers/Spurs during the off-season. If Kwahi is traded it will be to a team like Boston or Philly who can make a good offer now and who thinks they can win and will thus take their chance on convincing Leonard to stay during the season (i.e., OKC and Paul George).  

That is my view. That said, they will have a great chance next off-season at offering another max player. But for at least one year they are stuck and I'll settle for that as someone who hates the Lakers. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

What is the realistic chance the Bulls ever compete for a title again? Don' they basically have to luck out and draft an icon? Free agent wise, Chicago isn't going to be a destination. Maybe they realize this and figure 45-55 wins and a series or two in the playoffs is the most realistic. 

That is probably the realistic destiny of almost every NBA team. Your best chance is to either suck horrifically forever and be lucky to get the greatest player of the world (their is only one LBJ so only one team really achieved that since LBJ was drafted) or you try to be as good as possible while maintaining overall flexibility so that you can try and lure a great player (all while internally seeking to develop as many great players).

The Bulls obviously tried the 2nd strategy and succeeded and got very close to the pinnacle for an extended run...than they took a path towards rebuilding and eventually pivoting back to that 2nd strategy (bolded for emphasis). Whether they get back to that 45-55 win pace quickly or not is a whole other question.  

I'm not going to go into overkill mode and go into all my examples, but I'm sure Bulls fans would have called the Warriors stuck in NBA hell the season before they set the league on fire (pre Durant).  No one knew Steph would become the GOAT at 3s and that Klay would become as good as he was and that the combination of them with Draymond and just a really deep team would become one of the greatest juggernauts the league would ever see. NO ONE saw it...except maybe Jerry West (who killed the Klay for Klove trade).  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is probably the realistic destiny of almost every NBA team. Your best chance is to either suck horrifically forever and be lucky to get the greatest player of the world (their is only one LBJ so only one team really achieved that since LBJ was drafted) or you try to be as good as possible while maintaining overall flexibility so that you can try and lure a great player (all while internally seeking to develop as many great players).

The Bulls obviously tried the 2nd round and succeeded and got very close to the pinnacle for an extended run...than they took a path towards rebuilding and eventually pivoting back to that 2nd strategy (bolded for emphasis). Whether they get back to that 45-55 win pace quickly or not is a whole other question.  

I'm not going to go into overkill mode and go into all my examples, but I'm sure Bulls fans would have called the Warriors stuck in NBA hell the season before they set the league on fire (pre Durant).  No one knew Steph would become the GOAT at 3s and that Klay would become as good as he was and that the combination of them with Draymond and just a really deep team would become one of the greatest juggernauts the league would ever see. NO ONE saw it...except maybe Jerry West (who killed the Klay for Klove trade).  

Hey @Chisoxfn, I don't post often in the NBA thread but I do follow it sometimes and I just wanted to thank you for continuing to fight the good fight in not simply accepting the conventional tanking/"NBA hell" cliche!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Rondo to the Lakers.....the Lakers are sure trying...something

Well they definitely have to be trading Ball. You cant have 2 pgs who cant shoot on the floor at the same time.

(Edit)

Guess they are saying Rondo can be a mentor? Doesnt seem to make a lot of sense for a team that has a small window to compete with James.

Edited by Soxbadger

I'll say it again, but outside of King James, they aren't making the shrewdest basketball moves.  That said, they have lots of flexibility next year.  Wish they signed a couple of those guys to multi-year deals :)

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Well they definitely have to be trading Ball. You cant have 2 pgs who cant shoot on the floor at the same time.

(Edit)

Guess they are saying Rondo can be a mentor? Doesnt seem to make a lot of sense for a team that has a small window to compete with James.

Mentor, second unit PG and you're banking on playoff Rondo

37 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

(Edit)

They basically have zero shot at competing this year and are banking on Leonard and another free agent next year.  Of course LeBron will be 35 midway through next year so who knows how much he has left in the tank. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'll say it again, but outside of King James, they aren't making the shrewdest basketball moves.  That said, they have lots of flexibility next year.  Wish they signed a couple of those guys to multi-year deals :)

And next year the Bulls will be competing with Magic and Lebron and LA winters vs. Chicago winters for free agents. Another solid GarPax plan.