2018-2019 Official NBA thread

1 hour ago, Steve9347 said:

You're not wrong. 

This seems like it would have been a good opportunity for the Bulls to offer max, park Cousins for a year to get a pick, and come back with him leading the show next season. But that would take giving a damn which the Bulls clearly do not.

Wait, you think Cousins wanted to come to a team like the Bulls this year (on a 1 year deal)? You basically wanted the Bulls to pay him a max deal for one year...just because and than try to give him a mega deal in a year, after not letting him play?  That would be massive risk.  Cousin's wasn't going to come to a team like the Bulls without getting more money and more years (and thus taking on more risk). I think this is great cause if he shows he is healthy, has burst, and gels on a championship club, you can go get him next year.  

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You have a lot more faith that the dude can be a small minutes teammate than I do.

He isn't even going to play until the all star break and when he comes back he's going to play small minutes and build up his minutes.  He's going to have such a short stint (in terms of regular season action) that it would be hard for him to not play well. Also, where is this lockeroom cancer stuff coming from?  I recognize he's crazy and gets too many technicals but he's a fantastic basketball player (and not an albatross defender).  

I wouldn't touch him with any long-term deal this year because achilles injuries can be extremely tough to recover from, but if he proved himself in the 2nd half of the season, the possibility becomes far more interesting.  

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You have a lot more faith that the dude can be a small minutes teammate than I do.

If he's healthy, he will play 30 minutes a night and put up at least 18/10.

I think people have no clue how good DeMarcus Cousins is.

Also, don't give me bullshit about 1988 Achilles' injuries. Kobe at an advanced age came back fine. It's 2018.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wait, you think Cousins wanted to come to a team like the Bulls this year (on a 1 year deal)? You basically wanted the Bulls to pay him a max deal for one year...just because and than try to give him a mega deal in a year, after not letting him play?  That would be massive risk.  Cousin's wasn't going to come to a team like the Bulls without getting more money and more years (and thus taking on more risk). I think this is great cause if he shows he is healthy, has burst, and gels on a championship club, you can go get him next year.  

No, I wanted the Bulls to pay him a max deal max term and let him sit out this year.

3 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

No, I wanted the Bulls to pay him a max deal max term and let him sit out this year.

And so what does that accomplish exactly? We paid him a max deal and didn't let him play? Why would we than give him a max deal that following year, when he has never even proven whether he can be his former self (post-achilles injury)?  So basically your strategy is give him a max deal, let him rehab, than give him another max deal next year (for multiple years)?  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And so what does that accomplish exactly? We paid him a max deal and didn't let him play? Why would we than give him a max deal that following year, when he has never even proven whether he can be his former self (post-achilles injury)?  So basically your strategy is give him a max deal, let him rehab, than give him another max deal next year (for multiple years)?  

If you're convinced that the Bulls have zero shot at actually signing or trading for a top line player in a real competition, that is one way to get them - gamble on an injured guy making a comeback, where there is no competition for him because of the injury.

(That said, I think Steve's concept is a terrible one).

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He isn't even going to play until the all star break and when he comes back he's going to play small minutes and build up his minutes.  He's going to have such a short stint (in terms of regular season action) that it would be hard for him to not play well. Also, where is this lockeroom cancer stuff coming from?  I recognize he's crazy and gets too many technicals but he's a fantastic basketball player (and not an albatross defender).  

I wouldn't touch him with any long-term deal this year because achilles injuries can be extremely tough to recover from, but if he proved himself in the 2nd half of the season, the possibility becomes far more interesting.  

When Cousins has only been in the league a few years and is making lists of "worst teammates in the sport", has legendary tantrums at coaches, there's probably at least something to it. That can certainly change with a player (See Zach Randolph), but until then, there's probably a reason why Cousins has had as many coaches as years in the league.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you're convinced that the Bulls have zero shot at actually signing or trading for a top line player in a real competition, that is one way to get them - gamble on an injured guy making a comeback, where there is no competition for him because of the injury.

I think he is saying give him a 4/154 like LeBron got, and have him sit out 18-19 and then play out the last 3 years.

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

No. Just give him the max deal now. I don't think I'm writing this in a confusing manner.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It may be a terrible concept, but I don't see any other way to get a top flight guy signed up for 19/20 while still having the chance to tank this year.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When Cousins has only been in the league a few years and is making lists of "worst teammates in the sport", has legendary tantrums at coaches, there's probably at least something to it. That can certainly change with a player (See Zach Randolph), but until then, there's probably a reason why Cousins has had as many coaches as years in the league.

Add to that, I have yet to see him seem to make a team or teammates better on the floor.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, I'm not saying he was a great lockerroom guy, but I didn't hear a lot about his teammates not liking him. Thought Rondo was a big fan of his (not sure what that says, but I kind of like Rondo)?  I also kind of ignore a lot that comes out of Sacremento...place is a disaster. I think Cousins going to Golden State was actually a pretty shrewd move on his part. Puts him in a truly winning culture where he has a chance to win a ring while coming back from a serious injury. Essentially gives him an opportunity to rebrand himself.  

If it blows up in his face from an attitude that will be a big issue. If he looks slow to recover from injury but meshes well, that could create a situation where you buy low again since the reality is next year Cousins won't be the same player he was (just no way that he'll respond that quickly from such a serious injury; odds are he will never be the same, but it will certainly take time).  

10 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Cousins is fine. He was marooned in Shitsville. 

Was he though?  I mean look at what a guy like Russ Westbrook did in OKC when everyone left that team, when he single handedly willed that team to the playoffs and won 47 games, versus the 20 whatever games per year that Cousins was winning in Sacto.

3 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If you are Cousins, this is the perfect plan. This is basically a throw away year, no one is giving him the max deal until proven fully healthy. So why not take your time to recover, come back 2 months before playoffs and get that ring with Warriors and move on.

I do think this can help Cousins go to other teams next year in FA and say "I know you might have thought a team can't win with a player like me on it, but that's what happened in GS."

2 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

If he's healthy, he will play 30 minutes a night and put up at least 18/10.

I think people have no clue how good DeMarcus Cousins is.

Also, don't give me bullshit about 1988 Achilles' injuries. Kobe at an advanced age came back fine. It's 2018.

You have an interesting definition of "fine". Kobe played 41 games in 2 years after the injury and sucked ass.

According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Jimmy Butler is "all but fed up with the nonchalant attitude of his younger teammates, specifically center Karl-Anthony Towns."

Per Crowley's league source, Butler also said that he has no intentions of signing an extension with Minnesota. In addition, Butler and Kyrie Irving are determined to play together.

Ah, what could have been.

2 minutes ago, ZoomSlowik said:

You have an interesting definition of "fine". Kobe played 41 games in 2 years after the injury and sucked ass.

Kobe was old as fuck and broke his knee cap like a week after he returned. When he played he was good, and he also dropped 60 points in his final game so my guess is the Achilles was fine. Let's look at two players injured closer to their primes: 

Dominique Wilkins, Hawks
Age when hurt: 32
Injured: Jan. 28, 1992
Returned: Nov. 6, 1992
Pre-injury stats: 26.2 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 762 games
Post-injury stats: 25.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 312 games

Wesley Matthews, Trail Blazers
Age when hurt: 29
Injured: March 5, 2015
Returned: Oct. 28, 2015, with Mavericks
Pre-injury stats: 14.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 441 games
Post-injury stats: 13.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 121 games

Mark my words, DeMarcus Cousins will be back to his old shenanigans in 19/20. Let's just hope it's not still with the Warriors at that point.

37 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Kobe was old as fuck and broke his knee cap like a week after he returned. When he played he was good, and he also dropped 60 points in his final game so my guess is the Achilles was fine. Let's look at two players injured closer to their primes: 

Dominique Wilkins, Hawks
Age when hurt: 32
Injured: Jan. 28, 1992
Returned: Nov. 6, 1992
Pre-injury stats: 26.2 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 762 games
Post-injury stats: 25.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 312 games

Wesley Matthews, Trail Blazers
Age when hurt: 29
Injured: March 5, 2015
Returned: Oct. 28, 2015, with Mavericks
Pre-injury stats: 14.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 441 games
Post-injury stats: 13.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 121 games

Mark my words, DeMarcus Cousins will be back to his old shenanigans in 19/20. Let's just hope it's not still with the Warriors at that point.

You're the one that said Kobe was fine, not me. Now you're adding excuses. He fell off a cliff after the injury. A lot of guys would score 60 in a single game if they let him take 50 shots and 12 free throws. That was a chucking sideshow.

Dominique is basically the one guy who did okay. Wes is a shell of his former self, his efficiency and defense went in the crapper. His counting stats look similar because he went from a 3rd/4th option on a good Portland team to the shitpile in Dallas.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

1 hour ago, Steve9347 said:

According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Jimmy Butler is "all but fed up with the nonchalant attitude of his younger teammates, specifically center Karl-Anthony Towns."

Per Crowley's league source, Butler also said that he has no intentions of signing an extension with Minnesota. In addition, Butler and Kyrie Irving are determined to play together.

Still could be. Sign both next year to max deals! #keepdreaming

The more I think about this 

2 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

I think I said it previously, but I think Chicago could very much be that destination. It could also be the Clippers or Knicks (I suppose).